PDA

View Full Version : Single Ingredient Lubes

Good Cheer
09-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Anyone compiled results of lubing with various off the shelf products?
I used Do-All Tool Saver but think that it's the only one I've used as-is.

btroj
09-23-2012, 08:02 AM
I have never used an off the shelf product by itself for lube.

I don't think there are many that have been tried very successfully, if there were then many would be using them.

fryboy
09-23-2012, 08:14 AM
ummm beeswax solo works fair for low velocity stuff , it's a pain to apply etc but it does have a few of it's own lubing properties
grease also works but the mess is in and storage of loobed boolits is out
some guys have reported great results with bare boolits by using a filler such as cream of wheat
the spray graphite and moly also works to some degrees , check out the painted boolit thread !
myself i love the mad scientist aspect so ... i make lube erm by blending stuff :P

rhbrink
09-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Years ago I used Texaco water pump grease but it was pretty much lube and seat boolits. It worked real well as best I remember no lead and accuracy was OK but my accuracy standards were much lower back in those days.

RB

gcsteve
09-23-2012, 11:20 AM
JPW for my 45 ACP loads with TL boolits. Accuracy is very good, no leading, very little smoke. YMMV.

mdi
09-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Ambusol metal preserver. Kind like a spray on alox, worked well in my .38 and .44 Specials. I also tried Caterpillar Dry Lube, for booms and outrigger slides. Worked the times I tried it in .38 Spec. w/158 gr SWC and .44 Spec w/240 SWC at 800-900 fps...

wiljen
09-24-2012, 12:59 PM
LLA count?

geargnasher
09-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Soy "wax". Needs to be at least 95F to apply.

Gear

mdi
09-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Gear, Soy wax all by it's lonesome?

caseyboy
09-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Straight lithium grease right from the tub.

2muchstuf
09-26-2012, 08:48 PM
My nephew was just telling me about peanut butter.
Any one know anything about this?

Wingnutt
09-26-2012, 09:47 PM
I have tried various off-shelf products a couple a years ago just for kicks in my '03 Springfield shooting around 1,600fps. I tried straight Ivory Soap, Glycerin soap, Chapstick, candy wax, and even Pomade. It all worked, got no leading and got varying degrees of accuracy. I think a single bullet lube bought from one of the many good suppliers is the best AND the easiest way to go for the money............

geargnasher
09-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Gear, Soy wax all by it's lonesome?

That's right. It's a little brittle in the grooves when it cools, but it works. Starmetal did pretty well with straight Irish Spring soap in his rifles, but he's got something much better worked out now.

I'm really struggling to find a point to this, unless it's trying to find a shorcut to melting a few things together in a pan. I only mentioned the soy wax because it's the only true, single ingredient I've tried that actually worked for me. Even lithium grease is oil and lithium stearate, with a bunch of other stuff thrown in, so I didn't think it fit the OP's criteria.

Gear

runfiverun
09-27-2012, 01:37 AM
My nephew was just telling me about peanut butter.
Any one know anything about this?

look at some of popper's posts he has done the peanut butter thing.
airc he has a thread on the subject.

PAT303
09-27-2012, 08:58 AM
That's right. It's a little brittle in the grooves when it cools, but it works. Starmetal did pretty well with straight Irish Spring soap in his rifles, but he's got something much better worked out now.

I'm really struggling to find a point to this, unless it's trying to find a shorcut to melting a few things together in a pan. I only mentioned the soy wax because it's the only true, single ingredient I've tried that actually worked for me. Even lithium grease is oil and lithium stearate, with a bunch of other stuff thrown in, so I didn't think it fit the OP's criteria.

Gear

Do you know what Joe's soap lube is?. Pat

pdawg_shooter
09-27-2012, 09:16 AM
My single ingredient lube is BAC. Superior lube at a really great price!