PDA

View Full Version : Running shoes....

JeffinNZ
09-23-2012, 03:45 AM
Any runners out there?

How does one gauge when a pair of runners is past its best?

RobS
09-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Jeff:

College XC/T&F Coach here...........past their best regards to a pair of running shoes takes place about a month to a month and a half after you put them on your feet. That doesn't mean there isn't good life still left in the shoes though. It really depends on how many miles you are running and if the shoe is designed well for your feet etc. As an example, if a person runs 80 to 100 miles a week like some runners then shoes tend to wear out and need replaced every 3 or so months. Generally speaking, most runners will need to have their shoes replaced every 6 or so months. Often times your body will also tell you when it's time as knees, shins, back and/or hip issues can start in that were not issues when the shoes had less mileage on them.

Now back to fit, if a person has a wider foot and they are running in a shoe to narrow the shoes will wear out much quicker of course and the shoes will probably end up hurting a runner if there are a lot of miles. There are shoes designed for people with flat feet or with high arches and shoes designed to give support and/or cushion all depending on the individual and their needs.

There are tons of shoes out there to help with a person's foot strike and the human body is a biomechanical marvel but can be an extreme mess as the body starts to compensate. I've been breaking down people's running technique for years and unlocking tight and unresponsive muscles and each person is a bit different.

HARRYMPOPE
09-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Iwas an 60-70 mile a week runner in the 1980-90's.I tended to pronate (feet turn to the inside) my shoes would slowly start to wear and i could feel it in my knees.I went o a Saucony"guard" designed for my kind of problem and got 6+ months from them rather than the two that others gave me.A very good running store guy helped me out with it.No i am a fat old man busted up from a car wreck and can only do 30 miles or so a week.Shoes last forever now!

George

Tom-ADC
09-23-2012, 02:28 PM
When you find the pair you want check out onlineshoes.com wife & I buy from them all the time.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-shoes?et_cid=177255&et_rid=hrodder2@att.net&emtrack=em_092312_25preg100_fin

Love Life
09-23-2012, 02:31 PM
I replace mine every three-four months.

geargnasher
09-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Iwas an 60-70 mile a week runner in the 1980-90's.I tended to pronate (feet turn to the inside) my shoes would slowly start to wear and i could feel it in my knees.I went o a Saucony"guard" designed for my kind of problem and got 6+ months from them rather than the two that others gave me.A very good running store guy helped me out with it.No i am a fat old man busted up from a car wreck and can only do 30 miles or so a week.Shoes last forever now!

George

You said pretty much what I was going to. I ran between 50-70 miles per week for many years, the lesser in the wintertime. Saucony helped my over-pronation problem and I've been wearing them ever since, although I buy more "generic" fit for my more recent non-running lifestyle since it's looking like osteo-arthritis is going to get me after all. Due to very narrow feet, I used to pound through a set of runners in 2-3 months. I could go longer, but things started to hurt if I didn't change them.

I'dr recommend Saucony shoes to any distance runner, and treat them like engine oil, it may look fine, but change it anyway. An $80 pair of shoes can save $80K in repair bills. Of course how they fit and support YOU is more important than any brand, and it is well worth it to pay a personal trainer to get you into a set of shoes that won't lead to injury. I wouldn't push any running shoes more than about 7-800 miles, 500 is more realistic. Your body will tell you when to change if you listen.

Gear

MtGun44
09-23-2012, 03:40 PM
The wife is a runner and says about 500 miles for light persons, 300 for heavier persons is
about it. Also, when you wear through the outer sole anywhere.

Bill

RobS
09-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Great points brought up and the quality of shoe has much to do with the time frame of replacement as well. Many have mentioned Saucony and the company does produce some really nice trainers. Within the last year Saucony has regeared their shoes with lower heals (flatter heal to toe angle) which helps for more natural foot travel. I've seen with the better quality shoes hitting the market my XC runners are going longer on a shoes than shoes of 3 to 4 years ago. Better materials are going into some of the shoe manufactures but don't be fooled as some of the "big" companies are not as good as a person might think. Nike......does have some good high mileage shoes but IMO the majority of their running shoes are not at par with Saucony or even NewBalance.

JeffinNZ
09-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Ooooooooohhhhhhh. Mine are well done then.

geargnasher
09-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Nike running shoes are a total waste of money IMO. Never buy anything with "gel" in the soles, and don't use gel insoles for running, it's like running barefoot on concrete after about the first two miles.

Gear

DIRT Farmer
09-23-2012, 10:48 PM
10 inch RedWing work boots, running means the cows are out, bad stuff.

In my much younger days it was 5 miles twice a day to check the cattle. I found it faster to run than ride a horse by the time I took care of the horse. Bad shoes then, now bad knees and hip.

JeffinNZ
09-24-2012, 03:41 AM
Mine are Brooks and I was fitted for them when I took up running. They have extra support on the inside edge of the soul under the arch. I ask because the heels have been a little sore after runs lately. My shoes have probably done 800 miles I guess.

Superfly
09-24-2012, 04:57 AM
about every 2 years for me just becuse i am cheap, I will wear aout a pair of shoes in a month they just plain flatten out out and feel like ****, I swear it is a scam them there shoes.

JeffinNZ
09-24-2012, 06:16 PM
What did Forrest Gump wear? LOL.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-25-2012, 01:43 PM
I second that things will start to hurt different

i am cheap and used to have to get new work boots every time my back went out , the boots being worn and me compensating made the back go out

running shoes are similar , i am not a big runner but any shoe walking running or work will tell you with new pains when they are done for , the trick is replacing the shoe just before those pains that will be an experience thing

if we were smart we would find a pair that were fitted to us , run in them for a month , then get 2 more pair of the same thing and start rotating them every day

and save the hassle of shopping for new shoes , just my luck they change something between the time i buy shoes or can't find the same ones again

bruce drake
09-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Mine are Brooks and I was fitted for them when I took up running. They have extra support on the inside edge of the soul under the arch. I ask because the heels have been a little sore after runs lately. My shoes have probably done 800 miles I guess.

Brooks are good shoes but you need to replace them if you are starting to get heel pain. 500 miles are pushing it, 800 miles means those shoes are for working around the house and garden.

Saint
09-25-2012, 03:31 PM
I am a big fan of Saucony. I use the same shoes for trail and hard surface with no problem. The Grid Cohesion 5's are relatively cheap and they offer all the quality and durability a big guy like me needs. I usually run the soles out then shoe goo them once before the padding is toast.