PDA

View Full Version : 450 Marlin loads-again

big boar
09-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Cast levergun loads for the 450 Marlin are hard to obtain. I mean realistic, safe loads using 400gr slugs. You can't use 45-70 info, that round has a larger case volume than the 450 so top loads are unsafe. The Lyman data book contains loads for the 450 but the sidebar notes that they used a "universal receiver" for the tests, not a levergun so I figure the date isn't reliable. Also, it's difficult to compare any data between 45-70 and 450 as the former is given in CUP while the later is posted in PSI. I won't go into how it happened but I ended up loading some 400gr loads at the top end using SR4759. These produce over 40,000 PSI but the accuracy is amazing all the way out at the 200yd mark. So the question is, what do other 450 shooters use for a mid to heavy loads? Just as a final note the 1895M is, in my opinion, the best hunting arm ever. Carrying, pointing, rapid fire and the ability to place "brown on the ground" right now is superb and I grew up hating lever guns.

btroj
09-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Pretty much all data is from a universal receiver. The data is used to develop loads in a pressure range suitable for the cartridge.

Use the Lyman data, or the data from the powder company. It may have been developed using a universal receiver but it was develop FOR the Marlin rifles.

For mid range loads I bet 45-70 data would give a good start point. I bet 22 to 24 gr of 2400 with a 400 gr cast bullet will give around 1300 to 1400 fps with good accuracy.

Again, the data listed for the 450 Marlin is intended for use in your rifle. Ignore how it was developed, just use it. The powder companies know what they are doing.

big boar
09-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the info BTROJ. I thought their use of a Universal receiver indicated the loads were useful for something like the Ruger No1. Some other loads (375 Win, 357Mag rifle, 303Brit, 32WinSpl, 45Colt) show they were developed in a specific firearm, not a Univ Receiver. I've developed several low power practice loads that give very good accuracy out to 50yds. These are great for rapid fire practice. My mid range (100yd) hunting load is below the manuals maximum and also gives good accuracy. Those loads all use either a RCBS300grFN b,ullet or a 175gr roundball pushed through a .460 die. However when I developed a good load, actually a great load, using an RCBS405FN slug, I ended up right at the max end of the data. Accuracy is excellent out to 200yds but I thought the pressure (40,000PSI) was excessive. Recoil, even with the barrel being ported, is worse than my friends 338Mag. This is not fun to shoot but as a hunting load where only 1 shot is required it's survivable. Thanks for the input.BB