PDA

View Full Version : Chained to the Bench...

Uncle R.
05-25-2007, 02:12 PM
:-D Only eleven days to go 'till the prairie dogging trip - and I've been working at getting my ammo ready. And I mean working. To date I have 800 cases sized, trimmed to uniform length, mouths chamfered & deburred, flash holes deburred, primer pockets reamed to uniform depth, sized again (to make sure the necks are straight after powered trimming & deburring) and polished to remove the lube.
Even though it's all virgin brass I trim it a couple of thousandths because the RCBS flash hole tool depends on uniform case length for uniform results.

I usually enjoy my time at the reloading bench. A peaceful, introspective and unhurried hour or two there can really help to restore my spirit after a hectic day. THIS is turning into too much of a good thing, though...
I have to admit I'm getting tired of looking at that case trimmer, and that drill press, and that "Size #1" die. I almost can't wait to start weighing out powder charges!
:-D
Even my gunschmidt buddy says I'm nuts... HE loads his on a Dillon and hits the road. But when I look at my test targets with their lovely raggedy hole 5 shot groups I get rejuvenated enough to prep another hundred cases.
I think the shrinks have a name for my "disorder" but I bet the shrinks can't keep 'em all touching @ 100 yards either!
I'll keep slugging away at it until about three days before D-Day, and then I'll start throwing charges in non-"prepped" cases!
:-D
Uncle R.

KCSO
05-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Now if them is J word bullets one more hunt and you'll need a new barrel ! I use to use a couple of turret presses to load all the practice ammo for 6 guys. I know how you feel.

pdawg_shooter
05-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Just 800? Gonna limit yourself to 1/2 doay or what?

Uncle R.
05-30-2007, 09:18 AM
Heee heee....
Well - I'm progressing.... in the last five days I've weighed out 700 charges on my old RCBS 5-10 scale - and loaded and seated 700 bullets on the old JR press that dad bought for me when I was a teen. I also sized and trimmed and prepped another 100 cases. All this in addition to the job, and the lawn work, and an all-day graduation party that we attended Saturday. I haven't been watching much TV!
I seriously considered buying a Chargemaster powder weighing system but I decided that it would save me little or no time. I can easily weigh out three charges a minute with my current system and I've read that the machines run at close to that speed anyway.
I need to make a run to Sportsman's Warehouse tonight - ran out of 4064 and low on V-Maxs.
Still got a way to go, and the clock is ticking...
It's sort of a Zen thing - I was getting pretty tired of it but I'm hitting my second wind. Can't wait to get back to the bench tonight. I wonder if there's a spot in the Guinness book for marathon reloading sessions.
:roll:
Uncle R.