PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please...

rdlange
09-22-2012, 10:58 PM
Rented a 30-30 AI reamer to do a Handi with a bad chamber. Now I'm thinking about doing to my Glenfield also. Note I already have a 30-30 Texan and I'll probably find another JM Marlin locally I can't pass up.

So what do you all think?

Thanks.

helice
09-22-2012, 11:52 PM
It appears that you have the ability to use that reamer or you know someone who does. So Why not use it. The AI is a much heralded ctg. Brass is easy to form. There's lot of data available. Shoots cast boolits well. It gives the 30-30 a real boost, and you can always load it down if you want to. I can't see a reason why not. I like the idea. If I had a reamer - well :roll:--- Oh stink -- I don't know how to use it.:)

Loudenboomer
09-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Opinions? Sorry you won't find any here ....... :)

OverMax
09-27-2012, 01:09 AM
Hmm. Why not. You already have the reamer. In what way were their chambers ruined? (Just trying to get a handle on this thread Sir.)

gundownunder
09-27-2012, 08:40 AM
The AI improvement to the 30-30 is a significant performance increase from the data I have looked at. Any other improvement based on the old 94 or 336 action will cost more to reload due to the cost of less common brass, etc.
The only down side I can see would be if you use the rifle for competition shooting. If you wanted to shoot Cowboy silhouette the AI would be disallowed as it isn't original and also classic caliber lever action ( which I believe is a sport unique to us here in Oz) would not allow an improved chamber either.
For a pure and simple hunting rifle, I'd say go for it.

missionary5155
09-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Good morning
If the Glenfield is in near new condition you might want to consider selling it as the collectors are paying big bucks for pristine Glenfields.
Otherwise ream it. I chambered a Glenfield two weeks ago and they are a breeze. That round bolt channel makes reamer alignment the best you could imagine.
Mike in ILL.