PDA

View Full Version : This load surprised me

Jack Stanley
09-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Load development for the Browning model fifty-three is not something I do every day . I've used a subsonic load in the rifle for years but always wanted something with a little more "step along" to it .

I was lubing some LEE hundred fifteen grain bullets with LBT the other day with the idea in mind that maybe I would try some of Paco's loads . After all this is a modern strong rifle and it's not like I had to duplicate his loads . His notes stated that in strong rifles starting load for the 30 carbine could be used . Also he showed a load with cast using fourteen grains of 2400 powder :shock: Just for giggles I weighed fourteen grains into a fired case and it filled into the neck area !

After consulting all the references I could including old notes for this rifle . I loaded four rounds with twelve grains and four with twelve and a half . They are way different that what I normally use and the twelve and a half grain load showed some accuracy promise .

Paco's heavier load went well over two thousand feet per second , this one I'll try a few more and make sure it's consistant . Maybe I'll get the chronograph out and check it too . I don't think I'll need more powder though it's got plenty of step along to it .

Jack

nanuk
09-23-2012, 04:52 AM
what cartridge/caliber?

btroj
09-23-2012, 08:30 AM
I would assume 32-20.
I have a Marlin 1894 in 32-20. It can shoot some real screamer type loads.

I have not had great luck with accuracy at higher velocities buti haven't messed with them much either.

I find my rifle to be very sensitive to changes in velocity. A 200 fps changed can mean 4 inches or more difference at 50 yards in impact point.

Want a real grenade of a bullet? Try some 85 gr Hornady XTP. I have gotten them over 2200. Bet they would ruin a varmints day.

Jack Stanley
09-23-2012, 04:16 PM
You assmed right btroj , I think that's the only caliber Browning made that rifle in but I don't know .

You are right about the difference in point of impact also , holy cow ! they hit much higher that my old loafing along H&G bullets .

Years ago I tried to get good accuracy with those XTP bullets and it just wouldn't happen for me . When I found out the groove diameter of this rifle is .314" I understood why .

As for what bullet this is Nanuk , I don't understand the LEE system of numbers . Besides as I understand it this mold was a group buy here several years ago and I bout it second hand from a good member who didn't use it at all . Lubed and gas checked it weighs in at one sixteen and change and has a flat nose that would frighten a wadcutter . I'm thinking if it meets a local woodchuck at the velocity I'm sending it . the hole through the beast will be almost as big as a half dollar coin

Jack