PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine frt Sight pin direction?

kywoodwrkr
09-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Can someone verify the direction that the front sight pin drives out?
I'm thinking it was left to right, when looking at it from receiver, but don't want to rely on my 'recollection'.
It's been subject to change recently![as have a lot of other things :-)]
Thanks.

barkerwc4362
09-23-2012, 08:51 PM
The GI pin can be installed/removed from either side. According to page 202 of "The U.S. .30 Caliber Gas Operated Carbines A Shop Manual" by Jerry Kuhnhausen, look at the staking on both sides of the pin and remove toward the side with the least amount of staking. On my IBM I removed the pin left to right oriented like you talked about.

Bill

shotman
09-23-2012, 09:32 PM
the pin is straight so dont matter unless someone "bubba" it . If it has been replaced or if you replace. tap one end light with a steel hammer and insert from right. then you will know. that also will keep it in place

jimb16
09-24-2012, 09:37 PM
I suggest soaking it with PB Blaster over night before doing it. That will help release the pin so you are only fighting the staking. It will also help when you try to remove the front sight. If you don't have a puller, use a block of hardwood against the back of the sight. It won't damage or mar anything and will not stop when it hits the key.

kywoodwrkr
09-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Folks,
Thank you.
Had a nice set of carbine documentation but my local fire department helped me shrink my inventory. What didn't burn was wet beyond repair. :-)
Appreciate the assistance.