PDA

View Full Version : My new cast bullet gun

FISH4BUGS
05-25-2007, 08:06 AM
I have completed the cast bullet revolver collection (yeah right) with early S&W's. The 38 is a M&P Target 6" blue made in the 30's, the 44 is a 1956 5 screw 29 6 1/2" blue (no case or tools - a true shooter), and the new 357 is a 6" blue 4 screw Model 28 made in 1959.
The 28 is an early 4 screw (marked with the Model #) and was apparently a duty gun for someone. I believe that because the grips are worn (the checkering is rounded) and the barrel blue is worn on both sides, and the cylinder edges are worn on the front. I'd give it about 97%. The grips are numbered to the gun.
I can't wait to shoot it! I have a Lyman 358156 and a 215 gr RCBS mould to try out.

targetshootr
05-25-2007, 09:33 AM
That pre 29 is a rare bird. l have one but never shoot it.

By the way, aren't you supposed to fish with bugs?

FISH4BUGS
05-25-2007, 10:56 AM
That pre 29 is a rare bird. l have one but never shoot it.

By the way, aren't you supposed to fish with bugs?

If you ever want to sell it, let me know!
I was lucky to find the 6" 5 screw 29 that did not have the case or tools. The grips had been replaced at some point, but the gun was still at 99%. I love to shoot it with cast bullets. I have a H&G mould that casts 200gr swc bullets, and another that casts 240 gr swc bullets. Both are gas check moulds. Full house 44's with the 200 gr is very pleasant to shoot. I don't shoot that many magnum loads through the 29 because I don't want to wear it out. Lighter loads will make this gun last forever.
For some 25 years, I had small lobster boat. I live on the coast of New Hampshire. (Yes, we actually do have a coast - although it is only 17 miles long). I fished 25 traps by hand. Lobster actually wound up costing me about $30 a lb (bait, fuel, blown engine, boat repairs, lost gear) , but that wasn't the point. I did it for the love of the water and the exercise.
Lobstering has always been called fishing, and the old timers call lobsters bugs (they are creepy crawley little creatures) ergo FISH4BUGS!