PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight vibratory cleaner

Roundnoser
09-22-2012, 12:14 PM
I visted a HF store last weekend and saw a super-sized vibratory tumbler. Price: $140. Does anyone have experience with this tumbler? Can any one give me a review? Is it worth the money, etc?

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-lb-vibratory-bowl-with-liquid-drain-hose-96923.html

Thanks.

I'll Make Mine
09-22-2012, 12:32 PM
I visted a HF store last weekend and saw a super-sized vibratory tumbler. I can't recall the exact price (125 - 140 dollars...somewhere around there). Does anyone have experience with this tumbler? Can any owners give me a review?

Thanks.

They've got a 5 lb size (http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html) currently for $55, and a monster 18 lb with liquid drain (http://www.harborfreight.com/18-lb-vibratory-bowl-with-liquid-drain-hose-96923.html) in sale at $150. The big one is probably overkill unless you shoot an AR with a bump fire stock or are a serious competitive shooter.

I haven't used these in particular, but I own a bunch of Harbor Freight tools; I'm also a power tool repair technician in my day job. I recommend Harbor Freight power tools if you need a tool for one job or need to have one on hand just in case, but not if you'll use it daily for a long time (for hand tools and measuring tools, there's nothing wrong with them at all, IMO, ignoring the politics of where they're made). For most of us, a case tumbler is in between these categories -- we expect and need it to last a good while, but won't necessarily run it five or six hours a day. Given the price of the 5 lb unit compared to similar, slightly smaller units from Midway, I'd say you're ahead to get the ones made by reloading manufacturers (after checking their warranty, of course).

Bill
09-22-2012, 04:15 PM
I have used the 5# with walnut shell and bed bath and beyond brass polish for over 5 years. bought it for 29$. works great holds alot of rifle and or handgun brass. good machine. Bill

1hole
09-22-2012, 05:40 PM
I THINK if someone needs the big HF tumbler for cases might be better served with their small concrete mixer instead. About the same price, much larger and will likely last much longer.

runfiverun
09-22-2012, 06:00 PM
thier smaller one is about the same size as the lyman etc.
i bought the harbor freight one to replace my burned up lyman.
i like the fact i can use it with wet stuff in it.
i have tumbled 22 cases with lemishine and a little dish soap to get the primer gunk out of them.
and the sealed top also keeps any dust down to a minimum.

Duckiller
09-22-2012, 06:49 PM
I have the 18# tumbler. It is big and uses lots of media. I use a small tumbler for smaller quantities of brass. The big tumbler works very well when processing brass from a major shoot or when I have picked up a lot of range brass. Works fine but you will need a lot of media. Major downside to the big tumbler is when dumping brass and media after cleaning. Everything is heavy and if not held onto firmly there can be a spill that will take some time to clean up. If you don't process large quantities of brass I would get the 5# tumbler, but if you want to polish large quantities at one time the 18# is the way to go. Don't be in a hurry to buy. It is occasionally on sale with special discount cupons. I got mine for less than $130.00.

C.F.Plinker
09-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Look in your shooting magazines as well as the Parade and USA Today in the Sunday papers. They often have a 20% off coupon for HF.

Roundnoser
09-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Look in your shooting magazines as well as the Parade and USA Today in the Sunday papers. They often have a 20% off coupon for HF.

Thanks for the tip...I'll do that.

dragon813gt
09-23-2012, 09:14 AM
I'd rather use the cement mixer they have for around the same price. It's easier to find a motor for. Which you will eventually need with all electric harbor freight tools. I do use the fine walnut shell blasting media they sell in 25# boxes and a bunch of hand tools that you can't really break.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

o6Patient
12-28-2012, 04:09 PM
..and the cement mixer can multi task.