PDA

View Full Version : Ranch Dog TLC432-265

donnie45
09-21-2012, 09:14 PM
I hope I'm posting this in the correct area. What diameter do your RD 432-265's cast at?

I just received one this week (from RDO) and cast 75 or so boolits and lubed all but 5. (RD dip method). I thought the next morning after lubing them I should measure them. The biggest one I can find is .429, turning the boolit in the calipers. Some down to .427. I was using a mix of Roto Super Hard/Shielding lead/ Roto tin. Calculated bhn of 12.

I switched to COWW+2% tin. Boolits now measure at .430-.432. When pushed through a RD .432 sizer they barely touch the sizing die. Is my mold casting smaller than it should or is this what you guys find is the norm?

I was hoping for .434 and size to .432 or if that didn't work shoot them as cast at .434.

Guns I need these to work in is a Browning B-92 and three different Marlin 444's.

I don't want to blame the mold just yet, but I cast out of the same alloy (COWW+2%) some LEE TL452-230's and they measure .453-.454 with the same calipers.

Any advice would be appreciated?

dualsport
09-21-2012, 09:37 PM
I think RD uses quenched wheel weights for his calculations. It sounds like your first alloy was a little rich. My mold is an older 2 cavity and drops them a little out of round, .432x.434" with ww+1%. Dipped and sized to .432, thry shoot great in my H&R .444. Try some of your's out before you call it, maybe they will be great as is.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-21-2012, 10:37 PM
I hope I'm posting this in the correct area. What diameter do your RD 432-265's cast at?

I just received one this week (from RDO) and cast 75 or so boolits and lubed all but 5. (RD dip method). I thought the next morning after lubing them I should measure them. The biggest one I can find is .429, turning the boolit in the calipers. Some down to .427. I was using a mix of Roto Super Hard/Shielding lead/ Roto tin. Calculated bhn of 12.

Any advice would be appreciated?

Unless you're an expert with calipers (I assume you mean vernier calipers), that isn't really best the tool to measure boolits.
Use a 1" Micrometer
then be sure to measure ahead of the TL grooves and behind the TL grooves, and not on the TL grooves.
BECAUSE, the TL grooves on RD molds seem to be smaller than the driving bands
on either side...on the RD molds I have (in other sizes).

I Did recently buy that exact mold (6 cav.) from RD a few weeks ago,
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet though.
I plan to soon.
Jon

donnie45
09-22-2012, 02:01 AM
Unless you're an expert with calipers (I assume you mean vernier calipers), that isn't really best the tool to measure boolits.
Use a 1" Micrometer
then be sure to measure ahead of the TL grooves and behind the TL grooves, and not on the TL grooves.
BECAUSE, the TL grooves on RD molds seem to be smaller than the driving bands
on either side...on the RD molds I have (in other sizes).

I Did recently buy that exact mold (6 cav.) from RD a few weeks ago,
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet though.
I plan to soon.
Jon

I am not an expert at measuring. I've been casting for 30 years. But, resently I have guns that don't shoot just anything. J words shoot fine. I don't want the expense of j words. Still learning. I'm using a dial caliper. With the same caliper I measured some Hornady .430 265SIL bullets I have and they measure .429 so my calipers could be off (a .001). I have a 1" Mic and I am not sure how to read it. When I compare the 265SIL bullets with the RD boolits with the mic the RD boolits are bigger. Off to the net to learn how to read the mic.

I am measuring in front of the crimp groove (the biggest mearsurment) and just in front of the gas check groove (driving band) smallest measurment.

knifemaker
09-22-2012, 02:48 AM
I have that mold and it drops COWW at .433 dia. I gave up using calipers to measure dia. as they have proven to always be off +&- by 1 or 2 thousands. I use only a quality brand , Starrett, 1 inch mic to measure the dia. of my cast boolits. Far more accurate then calipers.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-22-2012, 08:17 AM
after re-reading my previous comment...I should add...
The biggest issue with using a vernier caliper is the applying of pressure with the thumb, that squeezes the caliper fingers together against an oject.
My comment using the word "Expert" wasn't a shot,
I, myself, can't apply a consistant pressure to a vernier caliper, but I assume there are some who can ???
whereas the 1" Mic (at least the better ones or newer cheaper ones) have a clicker/slip clutch that only allow you to apply the same pressure each time.
Good Luck with the Mic,
Jon

Tazman1602
09-22-2012, 08:38 AM
I have that mold in an NOE lube groove version and it is THE bullet to shoot out of my Marlins. With the right load it shoots darn near MOA for me.

I hit a deer broadside with one @100 yards a few years back in the shoulders but lost the deer as it ran over 300 yards down into the swamp. I found it two days later where the coyote trail took me to it.

I am not sold on hunting with cast just yet, have some more work to do with them and need to use softer lead as it punched right through and didn't leave much of a blood trail.

We have used these successfully in muzzleloaders.....slow movers and that seems to help a bit and dropped them.Just don't like losing a beautiful deer due to my iincompetence but for paper punching or shooting metal gongs this design rules...

Art