PDA

View Full Version : Clyde Ludwig Marlin Safety Replacement

357maximum
09-21-2012, 07:49 PM
I just purchased a LNIB (shot ten times only) Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limitd in 38/357. I have literally owned the gun for a few hours and have only shot it 50 times with Glenn Larsens 180 Grain RNFP design and I already feel the need to nix that ugly lawyerized crossbolt safety. I found Clyde Ludwigs number online but the number is no longer in service. Does anyone know where I can purchase his or similiar kit to make the ugly useless crossbolt go away?

THANKS,
Mike

ReloaderFred
09-21-2012, 09:01 PM
All you have to do is take the buttstock off and lock the safety in place with the set screw on the inside. You can also put a small O ring in the groove.

I use that same rifle for SASS matches and my safety is locked in the fire position.

Hope this helps.

Fred

crabo
09-21-2012, 09:53 PM
All you have to do is take the buttstock off and lock the safety in place with the set screw on the inside.
Fred

This works, is reversible and doesn't cost a penny, but you can still see it.

GBertolet
09-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Here's the link. http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/crossbolt_safety.htm

jh45gun
09-22-2012, 07:45 AM
I do not see an issue with it I have it on my guide gun and it is a non issue for me and I like it when unloading the weapon.

softpoint
09-22-2012, 08:13 AM
I do not see an issue with it I have it on my guide gun and it is a non issue for me and I like it when unloading the weapon.

I agree. I thought I was the only one to ever think the safety was actually an improvement on the Marlins, so I never said anything when folks said they disliked them.:D To each his own.:lovebooli

KCSO
09-22-2012, 10:25 AM
I use to turn a replacment that looked like a screw head but I don't think I have any left. It's an easy job and you can use the existing safety for the stock.

9.3X62AL
09-22-2012, 12:52 PM
I am coming around to JH45's viewpoint, but slowly. For many years I've ignored these superfluous over-reaches, not liking their presence on my leverguns. They can potentially make unloading a bit safer, though. (It really hurt to say that).

Walter Laich
09-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Here is another option: http://beartoothmercantile-2.myshopify.com/collections/safety-deletes

357maximum
09-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the thoughts and Haggway has pointed me to where I neeed to go...THANK YOU.

My parents built an almost perfect Marlin Safty button and it was delivered in Decmber of 1973. Although it may be a bit homelier than the safety on the rifle as issued I have learned to deal with it's amount of ugly.

Personally I see no need for that ugly safety button Marlin put in a perfectly good rifle and besides all my other leverguns are making fun of it....it needs to go...and so it shall.

I was testing several max loads with Glen Larsens 180 design RNFP with several powders today and I am tickled pink. All loads shot to my abilities with the issued sights and I now posess another deer worthy rifle. It will soon get a Williams peeper to enhance my abilities and stretch useable range a bit however.

Jared
10-04-2012, 03:04 PM
I was relatively indifferent to the Marlin Safety until I accidentally engaged one during a stalk on a hog. All I got was a click and no hog.

I have large hands and when holding the rifle with only my right hand by the pistol grip my right thumb engages the safety. I disable all of mine by tightening the setscrew under the buttstock. The O ring works but eventually dry rots and falls off.

Lawyerman
10-04-2012, 05:23 PM
No use for the ugly fricken things. Makes as much sense as putting a safety on a revolver- oh wait, they do that too now days:eek:

Gunslinger1911
10-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Not to de-rail the thread - but does anybody know of a similar fix for my Winchester 94 45 Colt ?