PDA

View Full Version : SWC molds for .360-ish bores? (.38S&W)

Bigslug
09-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Just curious about this - the .38 Special had already taken a big chunk out of the .38 S&W's market long before Elmer Keith started playing around with large, meat-crushing meplats. While I haven't searched the world over, I don't think I've ever seen anything other than a roundnose for the .38 S&W.

Seems to me that with legal CCW on the rise in the U.S., there would be a market for modern versions of the compact, lightweight, short cylinder revolvers the round was originally know for - to say nothing of the fact that a 180-200 grain Keith at a sedate 600-700 fps would be a far better chill-pill than anything coming out of a .32 or .380 auto. (Besides, when I get tired of being all "traditional" with my roundnose Webley bullets, I'll want to load something with a little more THUD :mrgreen:)

Just thought I'd ask if anyone knew of efforts to update the old popper to a more effective projectile - specifically, of SWC molds (old or current) that dropped at about .363 for sizing to what these guns want.

:drinks:

Dutch4122
09-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Go to the Accurate Molds website and check out Tom's catalog section. A quick check showed several designs you may be interested in:

36-180C

36-180F

36-180W

36-200B

Clicking on the picture of each one will give you a diagram with the basic dimensions. If you decide to order one of Tom's designs he can cut the mold to drop at .363" for you.

Hope this helps, :grin:

Bigslug
09-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Clicking on the picture of each one will give you a diagram with the basic dimensions. If you decide to order one of Tom's designs he can cut the mold to drop at .363" for you.

OK. . .now that feature's just COOL! Some of those alllllllmost 100% meplat designs looks REALLY good for this concept. It's not like you'd be needing Elmer's aerodynamic noses for anything you'd do with this round. Just enough taper to simplify a reload is all the variation from the old Brit "Manstopper" this notion needs.

Thanks Dutch!

40Super
09-22-2012, 10:54 PM
He can also make a mold using YOUR own design. Give hime a call,or I should say email(he prefers).