PDA

View Full Version : An interesting technique

Wally
09-21-2012, 10:18 AM
I set up a business card sized steel plate on a cable with a sand hill backstop,in order to see the misses/strikes. Using a stock Marlin 60, a Ruger 10-22, & a Marlin 980V (Bolt Action) with Federal Valu-Pak (FVP)and Remington Golden bullets (RGB), both bulk ammunition that I bought at WalMart. On each rifle I had a large scope which I used to spot the impacts. My criteria was simple--which would be able to hit the plate 50% or more at 100 and then 125 yards. I used a good rest and took my time. Also repeated the test on a another day, when there was almost no wind.

I had expected the Federal to win hands dosn, as so many complain about any Remington .22 RF ammo. It made no difference which was better; the point of this exercise was to determine which was better..nothing more.

The 980V is my most accurate .22 RF rifle. Not to bash the 10-22 or the Model 60..they both are quite accurate as well. Mind you both are stock rifles... At 100 and 125 yards I could easily hit the plate 50% of the time or more with the 980V using both FVP & the RGB...but the RGB were more accurate. Uisng the 10-22 and the Mo. 60...I fouind the same to be true, however the FVP would give me numerous Failure to Eject jams...Also notices that the FVP would cycle the rifle bolts with less force..had no such problems with the RGB. Moving to 125 yards- the RBB was the clear winner in all three rifles. Any misses were easy to see in the soft sand backstop and clearly the "groups" were much larger with the FVP. I also used a box of Federal Lightnings..same deal. FTE jams and less accurate than the RGB.

Many call the RGB "dirty". In the semi-auto's I did notice tiny particles flakes would spray out when the spent shell was ejected, ie burnt powder residue. I had no leading issues with either.

This has all proven to me, in my guns, RGB is the best ammo when it comes to bulk .22 RF. Yes, I have used CCI and Winchester in the past, same deal. I did not try them again this time as there were none at the WalMart stores that I patronize.