PDA

View Full Version : Redding Big Boss II . . . opinions and/or experience?

Recluse
09-20-2012, 11:59 PM
I've about decided this is my next single-stage press.

Anyone have any experience with them?

:coffee:

r1kk1
09-21-2012, 03:18 AM
Ammosmith had a podcast interviewing a guy from Redding. Each press had hand fitted rams mated to them. The guys at Redding has been doing it for quite some time. I have pulled the handle on a few that were used at a store in Colorado. They were silky smooth. I'm looking to add the ultramag to my bench. The fit and finish are very nice. Redding does make a very nice product. Primer disposal is through the ram, top bushings for 7/8", 1", and 1-1/4" dies.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=aOreV8GeSVs&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DaOreV8GeSVs

I don't own a Redding press, yet!

r1kk1

Le Loup Solitaire
09-21-2012, 11:56 AM
They make good quality loading equipment and they want to be well paid for it. The T-7 and the big Boss are beasts, strong, smooth and you will have to go a long time to wear one out. Dies and accessories are solid quality items. Engineering is good. if you are set on going top shelf then you are on the right track, but be prepared to pay for it. I have been running 2 T-7's for several years now and they can do most anything including case forming and swaging. Don't ever drop one on your foot. LLS

UNIQUEDOT
09-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Each press had hand fitted rams mated to them.

All of them do don't they? I know the Lee classic presses as well as the loadmaster have hand fitted rams...well maybe not i think the hornady's don't according to a post i read on another forum where a guy was researching this stuff.

shooter93
09-21-2012, 06:38 PM
I use Redding stuff a lot JD. A T-7 is on the list now. I bought an Ultra mag yrs ago and it works very well. At the time Fred Sinclair told me he thought Redding and in particular the Ultra mag was the most accurate factory made press available, from there you went to an arbor press.

r1kk1
09-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Do a search on personel armament podcast. Look for the Redding interview. They put a lot of work into fit and finish. The only job this one guy does is to hand fit rams. I have been impressed with every used one I've come across over the years. They are silky smooth to operate. Too bad the used prices were the same as new.

Ck it out uniquedot. Good podcasts with interviews with Sierra, Hodgdon, etc.

Take care

r1kk1

dromia
09-22-2012, 03:46 AM
I've been running an Ultramag and a T7 for 6 or 7 years now and they are very fine presses indeed, so I would expect the same from the Big Boss.

Charlie U.
09-26-2012, 07:16 PM
I just got a new single stage press last month and shopped all brands extensively before making my purchase. For me the choice of best single stage press boiled down to the Redding Big Boss II and the Lee Classic Cast. Both offer the same primer disposal feature and are of similar size.

Advantage to the Redding Big Boss II over the Lee Classic cast:
A) Angled frame offers a little better visibility.
B) Lifetime Warranty (Vs the 2yr warranty of the Lee)
C) Slightly heavier frame and linkage
D) Superb fit and finish......Top Quality

Lee Classic Cast advantages over the Redding:
A) Slightly longer ram stroke/clearance
B) Handle is fully adjustable for angle and length.
C) Pricepoint.....it's almost as nice in quality and can be had for about $75 to $80 less than the Redding.
D) Ram diameter is bit bigger (Lee is 1 1/8" vs the Redding 1")

They are both good presses and built like tanks. I ended up getting the Lee Classic Cast. It may give up a little bit in fine quality to the Redding, but the bigger ram, more flexible handle, and much lower cost made it the better buy.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not a big fan of Lee equipment and generally avoid cheap equipment. IMO the Classic Cast press is head and shoulders above the rest of the gear that Lee offers.

o6Patient
12-28-2012, 03:59 PM
I have some Redding dies and they are first rate. I always thought their presses looked great also and would love one,
...but how do you wear out a rock chucker?

ArrowJ
12-28-2012, 04:34 PM
I talked to a guy at Redding that told me the T-7 one of the bullet makers used had to be repaired by them...after 1,000,000 rounds were loaded with it.

o6Patient
12-31-2012, 11:23 AM
I talked to a guy at Redding that told me the T-7 one of the bullet makers used had to be repaired by them...after 1,000,000 rounds were loaded with it.

-And that would far exceed the amount an average Joe like me would ever do...and his son...and grandson...and