PDA

View Full Version : will this work?

Finarfin
09-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Due to soft lead I seat my gas checks with a lee sizer then lube the bullet in a lubeamatic 2. Is there any reason why I couldn't lube the bullets first and then run them through the lee sizer to seat the gas checks?

swheeler
09-20-2012, 11:08 PM
You may have to wipe the lube off the base and gas check shank, pain in the butt. I think I would try annealing the gas checks first, then try seating and sizing in one operation on the LAM sizer. You don't say what bullet/mold but short and fat will work better than long and skinny with a soft bullet, try and see.

Finarfin
09-20-2012, 11:16 PM
32-40 183 grain. Long and skinny. 30-1. They bend if I seat the gas checks in the lube sizer. They sometimes bend a little even after going through the Lee, hence why I'd want to do it in this order. It would also eliminate lubing the bullets prior to sizing in the Lee and then rubbing them down prior to lubing. I'll just give it a shot. Thought I'd ask and maybe avoid some more mistakes if anyone knew it was not a good idea.

swheeler
09-20-2012, 11:27 PM
OK. Annealing gas checks will make a world of difference in the intial force needed, that is where the bullet is most vulnerble/completely unsupported.

Finarfin
09-20-2012, 11:59 PM
Great idea! I'll give it a shot.