PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 414 Super Mag ready to shoot !

missionary5155
09-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Good evening
Last year about this time while I was still in Peru my old, rusty and double ugly ( affordably bought this way) Marlin Glenfield caliber 30-30 was at JES Reboring getting opened up to .412 groove. Many thanks to my shooting pard who did the mail work. Back about January I started the search via computer for a 414 Supermag reamer and discovered there wee none to be had (in stock) . Only a special order was possible so I did it. JGS announced they could have one ready by September so I ordered there. Last week the reamer arrived here. Tuesday with some free time on hand I reamed a 14" caliber .41 Mag Contender barrel to 414 Supermag. Fortunatly the Contender and the Jes rebore have the same bore size so only one pilot bushing was needed.
Early Wednesday (4am) I started chambering the Marlin and was reassembling at 9 am. There were a few production stops in there to eat and my normal 6 am recurve practice for upcoming corn cruncher season. Already had my dummy round made up for the Contender cut so that one got duel service.
Today about 5 pm I stated loading up some new Starline brass I bought 4 years ago for my Dan Wesson 414 project. That was to install a 414 cylinder in my 375 SM frame with a custom cut barrel in .412 but with threads to fit the 375 SM frame.
So I now have some starting loads ready to go for tomorrow morning. Going to start with a very mild for 414 SM load of 9.5 grains Unique under a 250 grain PB to get the sights set as I added a receiver sight. This will get followed by two heavier loads of 1680 under a 265 GC designed by one of our members here.
If there is another 414 SM levergun in this world I have not heard about it so as of this date in the year of our Lord 2012 at least one exists and will be barking out about 9 am Friday the 21st of September. I will fire the 414 Contender also but that is nothing special as there must be a hundred others about our fare nation. By now you have figured out I like caliber .41 irons.
As soon as I can find where the camara got hidden I will get a photo added.
You cannot imaging how I have waited to participate in this shooting. Ya just have to love it when a plan finally comes together.
More will follow. Mike in ILL. [smilie=2:

helice
09-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Mike,
I'm looking for future posts on that levergun. Really sounds interesting.

StrawHat
09-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Mike,

What is the 414 SM based on? I know nothing about that cartidge.

missionary5155
09-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Greetings StrawHat
The 414 SM is the same idea as the 357 Max (Supermag) and the 445 SM. Take a 41 mag brass and add .4 inches to it's length. Basicly you just 2x powder capacity. In revolvers you gain about 350 fps. I will need to crono this next week to see what reality is but the nice people at Accurate Arms think I should be gaining another 300+ FPS from a 20" carbine barrel.
Mike in ILL

StrawHat
09-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Interesting, I know nothing about those three cartridges. guess I need to drag out Cartridges of the World and dig through back issues of "HANDLOADER".

missionary5155
09-21-2012, 08:25 PM
You can also search "SuperMag Cartriges" and and Wiki-pedia has pictures and basic info.
Mike in ILL

helice
09-23-2012, 12:38 AM
Mike,
Did some digging on the internet to learn about the 414SM. I can not wait to hear how the Chrono tests turn out. This was really well thought out. So many of us wish we could get a Puma with a 357 Max. You figured out how to get a great rifle with that longer ctg.
Great work Mike.
P.s. Where you going after Jan??? Back to the field??? PM me if you would.
His servant and yours,
Karl