PDA

View Full Version : "Right" way to adjust lube/sizer dies?

km101
09-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Havent been casting long, and I have had to find the right bullet depth in the die by trial and error. (sometimes lots of error) I can always get it set, but since I cast/load for several calibers I dont always remember the correct setting from the last time when I change dies.

:shock:So I will ask the experts! Is there a right way, or correct way to find the proper depth setting for the bullet in the size die to get the best lube groove fill? Please use small words, preferably of one syllable, so I can follow the process!

Mk42gunner
09-20-2012, 07:29 PM
So I will ask the experts! Is there a right way, or correct way to find the proper depth setting for the bullet in the size die to get the best lube groove fill? Please use small words, preferably of one syllable, so I can follow the process!

Keep a log.

I should, but don't.

What type of luber are you using? My RCBS LAM usually doesn't need much if any depth adjustment.

Robert

500MAG
09-20-2012, 07:41 PM
When I start a new caliber, I use the OAL recommended in my reloading manuals. I only load a box of test loads and will adjust the depth according to how it went at the range. I record the best OAL for each of my firearms for future reference.

Pieter C. Voss
09-20-2012, 08:02 PM
I generally set my bullet depth in the sizing die by lubing only the rearmost groove plus the gas check groove. I've never seen the need to lube more grooves although my loads run only 1400-1500 fps.

km101
09-20-2012, 09:43 PM
:Keep a log." Check! I dont know why I havent started before now. I keep stats on most everything else!

I have two Lyman 450's, and they seem to need adjusting even when I am only changing from .44-215 to .44-255gr. boolits I was hoping that there would be some simple factory instructions or something. (both mine were used, no instructions :( ) But I guess the logbook is the easiest and best answer.

km101
09-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Peter, I dont think I'll take a chance on only lubing one groove. No offense to you, but I have scrubbing lead so much that I dont want to chance it.

GLL
09-21-2012, 12:11 AM
I have lathesmith make me a single groove STAR die for each caliber/size diameter combination I own that have the same base to lube groove distance. He also makes me a punch with the lock ring for each group. I own about a dozen .44 Special molds that use a single die and punch combination so I do not have to make any adjustments. I have the same setup for my .45 and .38 die sets. In all I required about a dozen dies to cover just about all of my needs. Simply install and pull the handle… absolutely no adjustment required ! All I had to do was save up my lunch money over a couple years to pay for the dies. lathsmith dies are the VERY BEST available ! Period ! :)

Jerry

Iron Mike Golf
09-21-2012, 10:16 AM
500Mag, he's asking about setting up a lubrisizer, not seating boolits in cases.

Iron Mike Golf
09-21-2012, 10:34 AM
km101, I'm not sure what you are asking about. I think you are asking about setting up the lubrisizer so a single pull of the lever and a slight pause fill the lube groove completely and you don't need a second pull.

My lubrisizer is a SAECO and it does not have anything for repeatable setting the depth of the ram stroke. Don't know about other brands.

To set things up, I stack two boolits and hold them next to the die, lining up the desired depth. I note how much of the other boolit will protude above the die. For the 45 cal's I just got done sizing and lubing, it was the top third of the base band.

When setting the depth, I run one boolit down, partially raise the ram and set another boolit on top of the first. Now I fiddle with the depth adjustment.

Before I started doing this, I was setting things up with the boolit going too deep in the die. So it would partly fill on the way down, and hopefully finish up on the way up. I had to run with more pressure on the lube than needed. That made for lube leaking. I also had to adjust the lube pressure piston more frequently.

hanover67
09-22-2012, 02:25 AM
I have an RSBC LAM and I load a lot of .38 wadcutters, filling 2 of the 3 lube grooves. When changing sizer dies, say to .44 caliber, I adjust the die up and then back down using the first boolit of the new caliber to see where it is being re-sized and lubed. I can usually get it adjusted to the proper setting on the first try.