PDA

View Full Version : 25-20 Single Shot mold needed

Sendaro
09-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Greetings to all,

I made purchase of a Stevens 44 in 25-20 Single Shot. I'm gathering the equipment to load for this cartridge and rifle. looking for a suitable bullet mold. Would like to find a plain base type mold that cast a bullet about .750" to .900" in lgt. Would rather stay away from gas checks, and use the plain base bullets breach seated. Would like suggestion to where there maybe bullet molds of this type for sale.
Sendaro

MT Chambers
09-20-2012, 06:44 PM
I bought a Hoch mold for my 25/20SS from CPA in PA....it's 105 grain, plain base, tapered, and meant for breach seating, when I cast using 30-1 alloy. For most makers of quality molds there is quite a long wait, but CPA had this one on the shelf.

HARRYMPOPE
09-20-2012, 10:44 PM
I have a original Winchester for the 25-20SS in nice shape.I gave $100 shipped for it 4 years ago.I never built up the 25 Hornet i wanted to use it in.

Available for same $ (+$5 shipping) PM if you want it.

beagle
09-21-2012, 08:20 PM
I have a 25-85-CS RCBS DC that ought to work out. PB and weighs 85.1 grains loaded. FN design. Kinda excess to my needs right now. PM me if interested./beagle

Jon K
09-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Slug the bore first, then figure what you need.

NOE .260 80gr worked out great for me, my 25-20 SS is ..260 groove diameter at the breech end.

Jon

Sendaro
09-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the responces! The rifle is on it's way to me from NM. I should have it by the end of the week. At that time I can measure the bore and check the bore to see just what this rifle is goin to need. I will be back in touch. Thanks for all the responces. Want to make sure that I don't buy something that is not going to work out. Sure that you all can understand.
Sendaro

Sendaro
09-28-2012, 06:40 AM
Well the Stevens 44 in 25-20SS arrived and I have to say that it is in great condition. I cheched the twist rate and it is a 1 in 13". A look with the Hawkeye bore scope showed that at some time the rifle was shot with jacketed ammo as ther were streaks of copper. I'm in the process of cleaning the bore. Once it is free of the copper I will slug it and see what the measurements maybe. Think that a 1 in 13" twist will be OK for the bullet that is cast from the HOCH mold at 104 grains and a tappered one for breech seating? I'd like that to be the way for this rifle to go if it can. I don't mind breech seating at all and have see the differance in accuracy that it can make. Sendaro

John Boy
09-28-2012, 06:57 AM
I have a 25-85-CS RCBS DC that ought to work out. PB and weighs 85.1 grains loaded. FN design. Kinda excess to my needs right now. PM me if interested./beagle
Sendaro - You would be foolish not to buy the RCBS 25-20, 85gr mold from Beagle. I shoot it exclusively in my rifle for Schuetzen Matches and it is a very accurate bullet

MikeS
10-01-2012, 01:49 AM
I'm curious, is there more than one version of 25-20 with one being specific to single shot rifles?

Sendaro
10-02-2012, 07:05 AM
MikeS, Yes there is a big difference between a 25-20 SS and a 25-20 WCF. The single shot is much longer.

Sendaro

Jon K
10-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Sendaro,

Did you slug the bore?

uscra112
10-02-2012, 11:17 AM
The ASSRA guys recommend about 100 grains with the 13" twist in the .25-20 Stevens.

Sendaro
10-03-2012, 05:42 AM
John K,
Breech seated a bullet and pushed it back out the breech of the barrel. When measured it was .254 dia. It started as .2575. The base of the bullet was bulgged to one side. I'm making a new breech seating plugged case. The plug on the one that I made was made from .250 stock and I beveled the forward edge. Jim Broton has suggested for me to make another one with a .257 dia plug and not bevel the forward edge. Will give this a try. Will have to try it to see what it does.

Sendaro
10-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Well it looks like I have a very tight bore in this Stevens 44 in 25-20 SS. As I measure around a bullet that has been breech seated ( and another one that was tapped in the muzzle) I find that the max is .254 and then there is a very tiny spot that measures .256. At any rate the bore of my rifle is very tight. Have bought the RCBS mold that beagle offered. That mold is in great shape. Problem is that none of my mold handles fit the RCBS mold and I had to buy a set. They are on the way and should be here in a few days. Will have to see what the size is of the bullets that this mold cast. Lyman list a bullet lube/size die of .257. Wish that they had one that was like a .255 or .254. Looks like this 25-20 SS is going to be a problem child all the way!
If the rifle itself wasn't in such great condition I just have it's barrel lined with a TJ liner and be done with the problem. I really don't want to do this and have another example of a fine old Stevens altered. Took it to a ASSRA match this past weekend and asked several shooters there what I should do. They all said to have a bullet mold that is under size made for it. Looks like I may head in that direction. I know that this is going to be expensive and there is no garrentee that the problem will be solved or that the rifle will be a shooter.

Dale53
10-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Sendaro;
If Jim Borton is still making bullet moulds, I would check with him. He made a DANDY mould for my Peregrine .357 Dell that works beautifully. His moulds are single cavity precision made to your specs.

FWIW
Dale53

Wayne Smith
10-23-2012, 10:20 AM
First contact Buckshot and get a size die made for it. Finger lube first so you don't loose the lube grooves and try that. Way cheaper than getting a mold made. I always try to use the cheapest solution first.

Sendaro
10-29-2012, 09:44 PM
John Boy, I don't have to tell you that the weather here is getting bad with SANDY moving in, so I spent the day in our shooting house casting bullets. Good way to be out of the house and doing something fun in the bad weather. This was the first casting that I've done with the bullet mold that I bought as you suggested. It's a great little 2 cav. mold that is a pleasure to use. In a few hours I turned out a little over 500 good bullets with it. Soon as the new .257 lub&size die gets here I plan to make them ready for test firing. Thanks for the tip to buy that RCBS mold.

Sendaro