PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Kerosene lantern vs gas lantern

omgb
09-20-2012, 05:50 PM
What I want to compare is a 50 year old Coleman 220H lamp with a new Coleman Kerosene lamp

To begin with, the 220H is old and lookls it. However, the generater and globe are new as is the pump leather and the mantles. The fuel is Coleman Camp Gas and is from a new can. Lighting is accomplished with a Coleman spark igniter that pokes up through the match hole on the base of the lantern. Ignition is pretty quick. Pump the lamp 30 times, open the valve 1/4 turn, wait for gas to hiss and spin the sparker. Poof, lamp lights, wait a minute to warm up and open the vale all of the way. If needed, rotate the cleaning needle one or two turns and you should have light for the next 6 to 8 hours. The lamp put out a brillian white light with a mild hiss of pressurized gas. There is very little odor and not too much heat produced given the brilliance of the light. Drawbacks: Coleman fuel is now $10 a gallon in my neck of the woods and it's not always easy to find., Second, gas is highly flamable and every once in awhile you get a huge pop and flair up at first lighting. Not often but enough to know you are working with gas. Positives: the lamp is very robust. All parts except the globe are metal built to last. That this lamp is pushing 50 and still works well dispite years of hard use speaks to the durability of Coleman lanterns. Mantles are cheap, and available almost everywhere. That good because they tend to develop holes...a real no no. A holed mantle can lead to a plasma burn through tin the tank. That's too scary to even dewll on. In sum, these lamps are real good.

My next lamp is a modern Coleman Kerosene lamp. I bought it from Amazon for $79 and change. It uses K1 kerosene as a fuel. This is a lot cheaper than Coleman fuel running about $7 per gallon if bought in supplies of 10 or more gallons. Unlike Coleman gas which has a shelf life of about 5 years (according to Coleman) K1 lasts almost forever if kept out of the air and light. The Kerosene version of the lamp looks almost exactly like its 220E counter part with two exceptions. First, it has no cleaning needle. That function is integregle with the on/off knob. The second is that the pump unit contains plastic parts. I don't knw if that's good or bad, but there is plastic where only metal used to be. Oh, and the bail holds the vent cap to the top of the lantern...no more nut on the top. that's going to make using the side reflectors (an option from Coleman) impossible. Anyway, to light you do as follows. First you tie and pre-burn the mantles. The Kerosene unit uses a #11 mantle, about 2x the size of the #21 the gas unit uses. It is a single mantle to be sure but that mantle is twice the size. After the mantle is pre-burned (something you do only if you change mantles) you fill the pre-heater cup with denatured alcohol. They give you a cute bottle with a long brass tube so that you can do this function by sticking it up through the match hole. I just remove the globe and fill it that way. No spilling, no flash. With the globe back on and the bail attached, I light the preheat cup and let it burn until almost gone. While this is going I pump the lamp 30-40 times. Just before the pre-heat burns out i open the valve and poof, we get light. Much brighter and much noiser than the gas lamp. Without pumping it will run another two hours. Pump it a bit midway and you'll get almost eight hours out of it. The light is much brighter but at a cost. It generates a ton more heat, maybe a good thing in winter! it also smells of kerosene...not too badly but enought that one notices it.

The big question....which is better? Well, that depends. If K1 is easy to get and if high output is criticle, then the kerosene version is tops, hands down. If fuel safety is an issue then the K1 model is best also. But, if quick lighting is needed and you don"t want to carry the alcohol bottle, then you want the gas lamp. Next report will be on one of the new dual fuel Colemans. They might prove to be the best of both worlds.

shotman
09-20-2012, 06:25 PM
well you have several things wrong . first K1 dont keep and the coleman fuel is not needed- BP/ ammoco prem gas is the same and really now all will work as there is NO lead. the gas burns brighter and dont have to clean all the "inderds"

uscra112
09-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Whuddyamean, K-1 don't keep? Last winter I used up some that was in my Dad's hunting and fishing gear that came to me when he passed. That was 1997. How long he'd had it I dunno.

Check out www.lehmans.com for kerosene options.

Hickory
09-20-2012, 06:40 PM
I have a Coleman Kerosene lantern I bought 30 some years ago for the same reason, Coleman fuel was twice the price of kerosene. I like mine and have used it a lot over the years. Right now the globe is broken and needs replaced.
It's a little bit of a pain heating up the generator, but it burns bright and steady.;);)

RetAFSF
09-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Good info

omgb
09-20-2012, 07:55 PM
K1 keeps, for years longer than Coleman fuel or White Gas. That is a tested and measured fact. Second, unleaded pump gas even in the dual fuel models, will eventually clog the generator and it will do so much faster than Coleman fuel will. I used to work as an authorized Coleman repairman back in the early 70s. I know my Coleman stuff and I have boucoup experience with Aieda, Petromax and a host of other pressure lamps. I ran the test to see if the new lantern was any better. As I found out, it all depends.

Chicken Thief
09-20-2012, 08:28 PM
In a pinch:
Kero stuff will run on diesel
Coleman stuff will run on pump gas
BUT the additives is not so nice.
I have several Coleman stoves that are "multi fuel" meaning naphta/Coleman and pump.

If a fuel is pure how can it spoil?
It's those pesky additives again.

Light/heat run on LPG will produce a lot of steam/wapor. But it's easy and damn fast to use.

uscra112
09-20-2012, 09:00 PM
If a fuel is pure how can it spoil?
It's those pesky additives again.
Light/heat run on LPG will produce a lot of steam/wapor. But it's easy and damn fast to use.

Gasoline will go bad in time, even when hermetically sealed. The ends of the hydrocarbon chain molecules are active enough that they will link to one another, making bigger molecule that are too inactive to burn well. Stabil binds itself to these molecule ends and prevents the linkup - that's how it works.

In the '70 gas would go bad in just a few months. I saw countless Hondas come into my shop that had been just parked for the winter, and wouldn't run come spring. We made many, many $$ cleaning carbs and fuel tanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Coleman fuel is straight naptha, not gasoline at all.

Anyway, it's kerosene for me. I have kero lanterns, a single-burner kero cookstove that easily melts lead,, and yes, in a pinch that stove will burn Diesel or even #2 heating oil. (#2 is awfully smoky, though.)

Had one of those pump-it-up Coleman "gas" stoves flare up on me in a big way once. Had it in the kitchen (during a power outage), too. Fire extinguisher dealt with it, but it melted the plastic impeller in the stove hood's exhaust fan first. I won't ever buy another one.

There's other stories I've read, about what happens if they leak. One guy nearly died. His lantern was by the door of his slide-in, he was at the front. When it flared, he had to dive through the flames to get out, then roll himself because the leak had sprayed him with burning gas.

omgb
09-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Kero lamps will run on olive oil, liquid parafine, canola oil, even alcohol (but that requires a different generator tip and loooow pressure) In below zero weather, you can mix Coleman and Kero up to 15% Coleman to make starting easier.

W.R.Buchanan
09-21-2012, 12:00 AM
I have several Coleman lanterns and several stoves including a GI WWII stove.

I did not know Coleman even made Kerosene Lanterns I thought those were all Petromax or Chinese clones.

I just finished the first can of Coleman fuel I bought with my stove 30 +years ago. Ran thru just fine.

I thought the stuff was White Gas? Although it doesn't smell like gas. Naptha?

Since I am a diesel freak I'd love to have a lantern and stove that would run on diesel.

Coleman makes these?

Randy

winelover
09-21-2012, 07:14 AM
Forget the Gas and or the Kerosene! I have 3 propane lanterns and one gas. No muss, no fuss. Almost didn't pack the gas one before my recent move.

Winelover

omgb
09-21-2012, 08:11 AM
LPG costs a lot more than either gas or kero and doesn't produce the same amount of light. To run four hours on LPG woud take two $4 bottles. That's not even $1 worth of kerosene. Again, it's all about trade offs and what you really want/need out of a lamp.

rollmyown
09-21-2012, 09:41 AM
I have somewhere between 35 and 40 pressure lanterns of various makes and models. The "gas" type is convenient because you don't need to carry alcohol to pre heat the generator.

I like kerosene because it's safer. Less flamable stuff to have stored about.

With lanterns old is better. Lanterns made in the 50's 60's and 70's were much better quality than they are now.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
09-21-2012, 12:51 PM
I have been kicking around the idea of a Coleman Kero lantern. Does anyone have any experience with one in cold weather? Any problems?

Thanks,
Everett

Chicken Thief
09-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Havent used a Coleman but a Primus kero lamp in -20degC~-4degF.
Fill up the priming cup good and preheat good (maybe twice!), then startup is no problem. Oh and a 400cp (Candle Power)~100W incadesent, will give off @ 7-800W~2500BTU of heat to boot.
Mine runs 10-12 hours on full throttle using @1l~2pints.

One of my Swedish Army lamps even has a flat top for heating meals and water.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Komfurer%20og%20lamper/R0011041_zps96a6798d.jpg

And some/most of my stoves
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Komfurer%20og%20lamper/R0011042_zpse5304baa.jpg

higgins
09-21-2012, 02:22 PM
I have to take exception with shelf life concerns with Coleman fuel. Last weekend I smelted lead on a Coleman gas stove, burning Coleman fuel bought Sept, 2001. I bought a couple of cans after the 9/11 attacks and wrote the purchase date on the can. When I was a Boy Scout in the 1960s we used Amoco premium gasoline all the Coleman appliances. BTW, the stove was the only great deal I ever got at a pawn shop. It was in great shape for its age and I got it for $5 a few years ago because the clerk said it wouldn't hold pressure when I put my thumb over the hole in the pump. I knew all it needed was a few drops of oil on the leather.

azrednek
09-21-2012, 02:54 PM
I made a small fortune selling Coleman items in 1999 via Ebay. Due to the Y2K scare Coleman items were flying off the shelves. I was shopping flea markets and yard sales, putting the Coleman goods on Ebay and at times almost felt like I was stealing.

I discovered there are Coleman collectors and many live in Japan. The Jap collectors all had very deep pockets and would pay a small fortune for oddities. I turned one $15.00 lantern into a $765.00 sale. For you collectors, it was a Gold Bond 200A. Not bad but I saw one a few months later go for 2 G's.

Kerosene lanterns are ok, not as bright, a pain at times to light but if one goes the kerosene route, get a spare generator asap. The kero generators are rarely found on store shelves. Kmart used to sell generators dirt cheap but have discontinued stocking them.

When I was selling, at most 50 Coleman lanterns would show up on an Ebay search. Now it is a minimum of 500 and the prices crashed. If anybody has an old Coleman item, check it out on Ebay. It may be worth some big bux. Like guns, age is a factor but old doesn't mean rare. Rare means $$'s. If you have something rare you might be pleasantly surprised. If you do post one on Ebay. Use a translator into Japanese and put "the bid of the Japanese welcome".
The overseas buyers will not bid until they know the exact shipping cost. Pack, weigh and check postage rates, don't guess and don't pad it. The collectors know what they have paid in the past. The Japanese see padding shipping costs as a sign of dishonesty and they will shy away.

EDIT: Some of the older Coleman and other brand heaters due to age can be deadly, if you must, use with extreme caution. The possibility of a fire or carbon monoxide poisoning makes their use risky.

Char-Gar
09-21-2012, 04:10 PM
I have never used a Coleman kerosene, but had extensive experience with Petromax and Rolex kerosene mantle lamps, much like the Coleman.

The kerosene lamp has the advantage when it comes to economy and safety

The gas lamp has the advantage when it comes to ease of use.

W.R.Buchanan
09-21-2012, 04:16 PM
I mean if you really want to talk efficiency here then it is pretty hard to beat the LED Lanterns out there now,,, they work great, they put out alot of light, they are easy on batteries, the bulbs never burn out.

However they are just not very cool.

Chicken Thief: your collection is very cool and I actually have three of the stoves you have . The GI, The Back Packer, and the silver dual fuel single burner. i have used all of them to melt lead!

Randy

3006guns
09-21-2012, 07:18 PM
I have a Coleman Kerosene lantern I bought 30 some years ago for the same reason, Coleman fuel was twice the price of kerosene. I like mine and have used it a lot over the years. Right now the globe is broken and needs replaced.
It's a little bit of a pain heating up the generator, but it burns bright and steady.;);)

Hickory..is that a single mantle lantern? If so, I have spare globes if you need one. Shoot me a PM.

azrednek
09-21-2012, 07:21 PM
I mean if you really want to talk efficiency here then it is pretty hard to beat the LED Lanterns out there now,,, they work great, they put out alot of light, they are easy on batteries, the bulbs never burn out. Randy

Turning on a switch beats pumping, flare-ups and you don't have to ventilate in the ice cold outside air.

There is something about older Coleman lanterns younger people don't understand. Like a warm camp fire in cold weather. The steady pssss sound with an occasional quiet little pop pop. I find relaxing.

rollmyown
09-21-2012, 07:44 PM
You got that right. LED lanterns are much more harsh, the light they produce is IMHO unpleasant.
Give me the nice glow and hiss of a pressure lantern any day. It's one of the things around a campsite that takes you back to simpler times.

dragon813gt
09-21-2012, 07:50 PM
I have a Duel Fuel that's been bulletproof. I've run gas through it a few times just because. But it's been fed a steady diet of Coleman fuel with no issues. I just finished a container that was around 15 years old. It worked just fine. This lantern has gotten used hard and the flint lighter I have in it just wore out. I always keep plenty of mantles and spare globes on hand. Now I need to stock a few more flint lighters as well.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

shotman
09-21-2012, 08:37 PM
well I had different experience with K1 it is like diesel it will get weak over time in a metal can. maybe plastic works but K1 will rust the inside a metal can
as said about the LED lights the new ones will last 3 years on 6 batteries and put out the more light .
batteries are much safer

montana_charlie
09-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Chicken Thief, I have a stove to show you. I wonder if you have one, or if you have even seen one.
I'll dig it out and take a picture tomorrow.

It's been put away for so long, I don't even remember exactly what it looks like.

CM

softpoint
09-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Coleman has adapters to run their LPG appliances off of bulk bottles. While the 20LB cylinder is heavy and bulky, they make smaller tanks that are refillable. I have one that is about 7lb., or a little heavier than a gallon of gasoline. I have used the little bottle for a week at a time, leaving the lantern on every night and using it to cook with too.It is very economical like this,the last time I had containers filled, it was 3.76 a gallon. No pumping, easy to light.

omgb
09-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Well, this stimulated some talk! The light from a kerosene pressure lamp is the brightest of the bunch with dual mantle gas following close behind. LPG is third in brightness. This has been carefully measured and documented by Coleman and is available in their docs section of their web site. It's all about energy and K1 has more energy for given volume than either of the other two. that being said, LPG is danged convenient. It's just not "sexy" if you know what I mean. Coleman gas fumes are like paper shotshells loaded with Red Dot....the smell brings back lots of memories.

omgb
09-21-2012, 09:37 PM
MC, I'd be interested in seeing that stove too.

azrednek
09-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Coleman gas fumes are like paper shotshells loaded with Red Dot....the smell brings back lots of memories.

To me my 1950's pump style Coleman fuel lanterns are like shooting a 1911 or operating a gently seasoned, oiled and clean pre-64 Winchester lever action. Today's lanterns are more rust resistant, safer to use and likely produce brighter lighting with less maintenance.

The modern lightweight, double stacked mag handguns gun are years ahead of a 1911. For recreational shooting, my personal preference and likely many others my age. Are going with the oldie but goody be it a Coleman lantern, an older 1911 or admiring the beauty of a blued steel, single action wheel-gun.

uscra112
09-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Hey Chicken Thief - those brass stoves are exactly what I've got! Swedish, supposedly. Never seen another one over here, but they're obviously common in Denmark. Superb stove, although it takes a few minutes to get one going.

There's a gadget you can buy that refills the 14 oz. propane tanks from a 20 pounder. That makes the cost of using those a little less. For what it's worth. I have one, but I've never had reason to use it. I only use propane for my Bernzo torch, which doesn't come out very often anymore. (Well, not quite true, the kitchen stove is propane...)

Chicken Thief
09-22-2012, 09:34 AM
@uscra112
The small ones were common for camping until the 1950's when LPG fueled stoves came along.
They are all collapsible and have transportation tins.

Small ones are ½ pint capacity and the bigger ones 1 pint of fuel.

Producers vere:
England
Sweden
Noeway
Portugal
France
Germany

Here are 4 military small stoves.
The three from left are US GI ones from WWII the right one is a kerosene butner from UK WWII.
The respective tins on the upper shelf are for transportation.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Komfurer%20og%20lamper/R0011044_zps0c0e79bd.jpg

montana_charlie
09-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Well, Chicken Thief, it turns out that I don't need to take a picture of mine.
After digging it out, it's the same as the one second from the left in your shot of four.

Mine is still in it's original box (no can) which indicates it is a Model-1950, and it was made in August of 1966.

Sorry if I got you all worked over nothing ...

I don't suppose you would have access to the Army manual (TM10-7310-202-12) for that little jewel, do you?
Mine has a wrench (which invites a G.I. to disassemble stuff) and another jet (generator?) which I would like to read up on.

CM

MT Gianni
09-22-2012, 02:24 PM
LPG costs a lot more than either gas or kero and doesn't produce the same amount of light. To run four hours on LPG woud take two $4 bottles. That's not even $1 worth of kerosene. Again, it's all about trade offs and what you really want/need out of a lamp.

Th only way to run an LP lantern with any cost in mind is from a tree with a 20 lb cylinder. Doing that though prevents it from being moved but works fine in a camp. I much prefer a Coleman fuel type lantern.

JIMinPHX
09-22-2012, 07:27 PM
I had a propane lantern when I was about 14. It worked great until I ran out of short fat tanks & used a regular (tall skinny) propane torch tank instead. Then it got knocked over & broke. Since then, I've been using an old used Coleman Fuel lantern. It still works fine anytime that I need it. The newer ones that are rated to use unleaded gas seem to be the cheapest to run & most versatile and are probably what I would buy if I was looking for a new one.

waksupi
09-22-2012, 08:14 PM
I got a Petromax a few years back. After using it with various fuels, I was seeing people strongly recommending kerosene or lamp oil only in them. Supposedly, they are made to burn anything. This spring I had Coleman fuel in mine. I left the tent for a few minutes, turned around, and I knew I had some big trouble inside. I managed to get it outside without too much damage to myself and things inside the tent. When I got it home, I found a compression fitting had gave out, and would let fuel spray out. It's been sitting ever since, as I haven't decided on whether to fix it, or get rid of it.

omgb
09-23-2012, 01:19 AM
I'll pay for the shipping if you send it to me. I could use it for parts.

Suo Gan
09-23-2012, 01:40 AM
Natural gas or butane lamps are really a neat way to go and cheap to operate, and very bright for a house comparable to elect bulbs. http://www.trigasco.com/Indoor-Gas-Lights.html http://www.kansaswindpower.net/gas_lights.htm

For camping, I really like propane you can get this http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-bottle-refill-kit-45989.html and refill the little guys. Or you can just run the line from a large cylinder to your stove and lantern(s). It takes a long time to run out. Much longer than I like to tent camp.

I only have one white gas lantern left...hopefully I never have to use it again.

Propane or natural gas refrigerators are really something, but expensive. My dads friend had three of them in his miners shack. http://www.bensdiscountsupply.com/ez-freeze-ez1060w-propane-lp-gas-refrigerator.aspx

rbuck351
09-23-2012, 01:57 AM
I have been using an old Coleman three burner gas stove and a Primus single backpacker type stove in a sqare can for the last 25/30 years on a steady diet of unleaded pump gas with 0 problems. How long is it supposed to take before I plug one of these up. One thing I did find out is the propane stoves don't work very well at -20 and colder.

nanuk
09-23-2012, 03:18 AM
coleman white gas lanterns are great for tracking in the dark.... the light makes fresh blood literally fluoresce

on a side note. the fueled lanterns also give off heat.
I saw a neat setup for icefishing at night, using a homemade sled with a place for a lantern under the seat, with a glass front... a place to sit, heat, and light? what more could one ask for?

oh.... how about a fish bite?

Mooseman
09-23-2012, 04:14 AM
I still use the old Red single mantle Coleman lanterns when we have power outages or have to clean up a roadkill moose or caribou. Plenty of light and uses less fuel than double mantles. Coleman fuel is naptha , we used to use Amoco white gasoline because it had no additives like the new unleaded fuels that can mess up the old lantern and stove generators and plug up the orifice, but there are no Amoco stations in Alaska. We also use Alladin kerosene lamps with the mantles and they are very bright in the cabin during a storm or power outage.
I also have an Alcohol stove that gets hot fast and will warm a tent without Carbon monoxide danger. Lots of Alaskans carry a roll of toilet paper in a Metal coffee can and 3-4 bottles of Heet (fuel system alcohol) so that if they get stranded they can keep warm by soaking the toilet paper with Heet and lighting it for inside the vehicle Heat it can be a life saver. (We also carry cans of Spam too!) lol
Kerosene here is 10.00 a gallon , Coleman fuel is 17.99...

SPRINGFIELDM141972
09-23-2012, 11:49 AM
coleman white gas lanterns are great for tracking in the dark.... the light makes fresh blood literally fluoresce

+1 on the tracking. Of course once one locate the animal there is never a flat spot to set the lantern down while you field dress. :D

Regards,
Everett

JIMinPHX
09-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Propane or natural gas refrigerators are really something, but expensive. My dads friend had three of them in his miners shack. http://www.bensdiscountsupply.com/ez-freeze-ez1060w-propane-lp-gas-refrigerator.aspx

When I lived in Mass, I had a few friends "out on the sand bar" that were off the grid. They used propane refrigerators in their beach shacks. As I recall, the recovery time on those units was pretty slow. If you put a case of beer in there at noon, you had better not want a cold one too long before it got dark.

Big Rack
09-26-2012, 11:29 AM
I've thought several times about buying a kerosene pressure lamp but haven't does Sam's Club still carry them? After seeing a guy loose is eybrows and some hair at the Indy 500 many years ago, about 40-45 years it was the race with a lot of rain delays and an accident which killed a driver and killed or seriously hurt some fans when his tire launched a fence and hit some spectators, anyway watching the guy barbecue himself made me leary of gas. About 20 years ago I had a VW camper and kept it loaded, when the wife and I went camping we just needed food and a couple of propane bottles we used a Coleman stove with a propane convertor and a small single mantle lantern which you screwed to a bottle and hung it with it's chain. I can' remember the brand.

Fishman
09-26-2012, 01:22 PM
After digging it out, it's the same as the one second from the left in your shot of four.

Mine is still in it's original box (no can) which indicates it is a Model-1950, and it was made in August of 1966.

I don't suppose you would have access to the Army manual (TM10-7310-202-12) for that little jewel, do you?
Mine has a wrench (which invites a G.I. to disassemble stuff) and another jet (generator?) which I would like to read up on.

CM

+1 here. I have one and would like to use it but it doesn't work. I'd like to fix it. If anyone knows where to get the manual, please post the information.

Good thread!

azrednek
09-26-2012, 02:48 PM
+1 here. I have one and would like to use it but it doesn't work. I'd like to fix it. If anyone knows where to get the manual, please post the information.

Good thread!

I'm no expert but I have repaired a substantial amount when I was selling them used. Before me or anybody else can offer any help please describe the problem. A bad or leaking filler cap is probably the problem with 50%. Does it hold pressure? Is there any resistance when you pump it up? Using a magnet test the font to see if it is steel, hopefully it is brass. With a flashlight look inside of the font for rust. If the inside is severly rusted it is good for parts or decor only.

omgb
09-26-2012, 02:56 PM
And of the new caps will fix your pressure issue if you have one. Try not to try and fix an older model cap with the two-part seal (the kind with a screw in the center) Just buy a modern cap. Amazon has them all the time. If it's a fuel flow problem you might have a plugged generator. Sometimes you can dissassemble them and clean them in carb cleaner, other times you need to relpace them. Do an ebay search or search google under Coleman mil spec stove parts and you'll find them. Keeping the font clean is a good idea. Never store fuel in them for any length of time. To clean a dirty one, partially fill with soapy water and a few spoons of BBs. Cap and shake like heck for a couple of minutes. Empty the BBs, drain the tank, rinse with hot water, air dry, fill with alcohol (about a third full) pressurize, open the valve and let the alcohol purge any remaining water. Empty, air dry and fill with fuel. If the valves are clogged, you will need to get new packing lead sleves etc before dissassembly. These can be found on line too.

Chicken Thief
09-26-2012, 04:52 PM

CM

So mate is this thing up for grabs?

In my dreams ;-)

Yes i have the complete: TM 10-7300-200-12 manual, would you like a scan?

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/18213/post/new/#NEW

Safeshot
09-27-2012, 12:17 AM
As mentioned before, the LED Lanterns are bright, batteries are cheap (get the type that use 3 or 4 "D" dry cells), light to carry, do last a long time, and are safe. I have a number of Coleman Gas Lanterns and have not used them in many years. The LED Lanterns have spoiled me.

uscra112
09-27-2012, 11:39 AM
But LED lights won't heat a can of rations. . . . .

Superfly
09-27-2012, 12:48 PM
MAn i love this thread

I need to take a pic of the ones i need to get going .

Maybe i can get help and make it run again.

I think it is a kero lamp

Off to dig it up lol

montana_charlie
09-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Yes i have the complete: TM 10-7300-200-12 manual, would you like a scan?

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/18213/post/new/#NEW
Chicken Thief, correct me if I'm wrong.

Looking at those scanned pages, it appears that only the first 22 pages apply to the M-1950 (single burner) stove. Everything from the 23rd page and on only applies to the two-burner unit.

Right?

CM

Ramar
09-28-2012, 06:47 AM
Safeshot,
Do you have a link to a LED lantern of quality?
Thanks,
Ramar

Chicken Thief
09-28-2012, 07:05 AM
Chicken Thief, correct me if I'm wrong.

Looking at those scanned pages, it appears that only the first 22 pages apply to the M-1950 (single burner) stove. Everything from the 23rd page and on only applies to the two-burner unit.

Right?

CM

Yes Sir, that is correct.

historicfirearms
09-28-2012, 08:42 AM
For a cheap kerosene substitute you can go to your local midsized airport and ask for some Jet-A negative Prist. Jet fuel is basically kerosene. I am a pilot and get a free batch of it once in a while. I have burned it in my kerosene heaters and it works great. It may have slightly more odor than kerosene but nothing too offensive. Jet fuel at Michigan airports is running about $5.75 per gallon. If you can, get it without Prist which is an icing inhibitor. You don't need it.

montana_charlie
09-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Yes Sir, that is correct.
Thanks.
Now I need to learn how to create a PDF file ...

CM

cajun shooter
10-08-2012, 08:46 AM
OMGB, I thank you for inserting a little French into your posting. You may have spent time in Louisiana or know some one from the Southern area as we use the word "BEAUCOUP" almost daily.
Your spelling was incorrect but the use of the word does not have impact with a group of people who are from the North or other areas.
I once had a man from Wisconsin who was working in the Baton Rouge area come and get me to look at a small mound of dirt in his yard. He wanted to know what made it. I told him it was a crawfish hole and that we had beaucoup crawfish in Louisiana.
His next question was and I quote "what does a beaucoup crawfish look like"
For those who are not aware of the meaning of the word, it means MANY or a large bunch of a item.
Now for my back on subject Coleman posting. At the age of 65 and living in the south, I grew up *in the woods and swamps of South Louisiana. We used our Coleman lanterns almost every week.
We used both the Kerosene and the ones we burned the American White gas in.
I saw more than one lantern thrown as it lit and burned with two foot high flames coming from leaking parts. They were bright but very dangerous to use if one did not maintain them.
While serving with the 4Th ID during the sixties I saw many a Kitchen burner blow it's stack when it was lit by kitchen personal. It was funny at the time.
I now use the propane and battery lamps so I don't have to use any gas fuel.
The person who posted that the old fuel lanterns gave off heat, that is true but the fumes were and are very dangerous.

omgb
10-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Hey Cajun...I picked up that phrase in the USAF back in the very early 70s. By Father-in-law is a coonass with a neck so red it glows and he uses it too :) Any way, I learned a couple of things over the weekend. Saturday I bought 4 Colemans at $10 ea. All were dated between 1958 and 1965. All looked barnd new out of the box but...all had fuel in them and it stuck of varnish and oxidation. Even the valves were stuck and refused to open. So, I removed the ventilators, the globes and the generators. I tore down each generator and cleaned them with WalMark brake cleaner using a razor blade to gently scrape the fuel rods. I also cleaned the orifices. Then I filled the takes with a few BBs and a pint of Sea Foam. I shaked and shaked and then let them sit for an hour or so. Meanwhile I opend the pump units and took out the leather pump seal. These I cleaned and soaked in Balistol. They softened right up in a matter of minutes. Using a long screw driver, I pulled the check valve on one usint that was refusing to seal. I soaked this in some Seafoam for a couple of minutes, shot some brake cleaner on it and reinstalled it...good as new. Now I pressurized the tanks...(all required new caps) and let the SF buble up and out of the valves. I wiped down the tanks (SF is a really great cleaner/degreaser) and drained out the SF. I then rinsed the tanks with fresh Coleman gas, ran some up throught the valves to clean out the SF and reinstalled the generators. I filled the tanks with gas and pumped them up 75 strokes. I let everyting sit for an hour to ensure there were no leaks. I then put new mantels on, added spark lighters to all of them, and put the globes and vents back on. Each one fired up and burned perfectly. The Seafoam saved me from having to pull the main valve assemblys...a huge time saver. Now I have one left, a 1989 CLX version. Unfortunately it broke the eccentric cam assembly and I'm going to have to order a new one.

454PB
10-08-2012, 11:43 AM
I mean if you really want to talk efficiency here then it is pretty hard to beat the LED Lanterns out there now,,, they work great, they put out alot of light, they are easy on batteries, the bulbs never burn out.

However they are just not very cool.

Randy

I agree. My daughter bought me one of these for Fathers Day a year ago, and it is great. It puts out no were near the amount of light as my old Coleman fuel model, but is SO much handier, quiet, and no fumes to worry about.

omgb
10-08-2012, 01:09 PM
I wanted to mention too, I'm in the process of taking the burner out of an old 1948 220D model and putting it in a milspec lantern. I'm also taking the quadrant glass clips and transfering them over to the 220D frame. That way I'll have the effecient 220D burnder with two mantles, the quadrant glass and the fount from the mils-spec lantern without the noise and slow start up from the mil-spec lamp. the mil-spec stuff uses an old Aladden patent burner that is really ineffecient and loud.

Chicken Thief
10-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Saturday I bought 4 Colemans at $10 ea. All were dated between 1958 and 1965.
Dont gloat ;)
I would have to pay @10 times that price in Denmark!

omgb
10-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Really? Wow. I know the Japanese will pay through the nose for them but I didn't realize they were also in demand in Europe. What would it cost to ship one there?

Chicken Thief
10-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Coleman is an US thing like the rest is an European thing.
Same with guns. a lot of RB's to have cheap but a trapdoor is hens teeth.

Chicken Thief
10-14-2012, 06:24 PM
@ omgb:
If you have something nice i'm interested indeed!

omgb
10-14-2012, 08:41 PM
I'll post some photos later this week. I just finished servicing three 220e models

azrednek
10-15-2012, 02:11 AM
Really? Wow. I know the Japanese will pay through the nose for them but I didn't realize they were also in demand in Europe. What would it cost to ship one there?

When I was selling Coleman items on Ebay. The Euro's for some reason seemed to prefer the larger 2-burner model 275 over the others. The Japanese, although they love all Coleman items seem to prefer the smaller single burner 200's.

Campsites in Japan from what I've been told by my Japanese buyers, having never been there. During daylight hours the campsites are like a combination flea market and show and tell. They place their Coleman items out in front of their tents or campers. Campers on foot will walk down the line of tents to see other's camping items, fishing equipment and other USA made camping tools but it is Coleman lanterns they really prefer most and want to see. Often they may carry a lantern or stove along they have for sale, on the trading block or just to show it off.

I couldn't begin to guess what it now costs to send a parcel over seas. It has been several years since I actively sold Coleman items on Ebay. There have been numerous increases in postage and the Post Office discontinued surface shipping. The surface/sea shipping was slow, 15-30 days to Tokyo or Berlin wasn't unusual but the cost was considerably lower than airmail.

Just Duke
10-15-2012, 03:54 AM
For a cheap kerosene substitute you can go to your local midsized airport and ask for some Jet-A negative Prist. Jet fuel is basically kerosene. I am a pilot and get a free batch of it once in a while. I have burned it in my kerosene heaters and it works great. It may have slightly more odor than kerosene but nothing too offensive. Jet fuel at Michigan airports is running about $5.75 per gallon. If you can, get it without Prist which is an icing inhibitor. You don't need it.

I believe they add a highly carcinogenic product (Benzine) to inhibit mold growth in avaiation fuel.

blackthorn
11-08-2012, 08:43 PM
In 1960 I was twenty, married, broke between paydays, with one son (just born). I managed to get my hands on a special use permit to build a summer camp (cabin/shack), on lake shore property, from the BC forest service. I invested in a 2 burner Coleman lantern (cost a fortune)! That thing NEVER worked right, it would light fine but when it warmed up it started to pulse like a slow strobe light! At that point I discovered second hand, single mantel, OLD, railway lanterns. They were made to burn either white gas or Kerosene, depending on which generator you had. These babies could be had at yard sales for a buck or two and I soon learned to strip them down and figure out what they needed to fix them. I also found there were Coleman “lamps”, which had two mantles and burned Kerosene. There were also some with white gas generators too. The first one of the lamps I rebuilt pumped up just fine, checked out for no leaks and sat under pressure overnight without loss. SO---I filled it up with white gas, set it on the kitchen table and opened the valve (just like my 2 mantle lantern). WOW---5ft flame above the top of the lamp with pretty blue flames running all down the sides of the lamp and onto the table top. I managed to shut off the valve, grab the lamp by the base and get it outside onto the sidewalk before it burned the house down! About that time a light (figuratively) came on and I realized what that little cup on the generator was for! NOW---the point I set out to make here is that I have found you can burn white gas in those Kerosene lamps BUT you just have to be REAL careful!!!! The trick is to open the valve just enough to start the gas flowing while holding a lit match under the mantels and then shut it off. You do this a couple of times and the generator heats up (just like you had used alcohol in that little cup) and once the generator is hot the lamp can be opened fully and it will burn just fine. I have since been able to purchase the original “special use permit” land and it now has a real nice cabin on it. I still use those old lamps sometimes but mostly I now use propane lights that are on “trees” hooked to 20lb tanks. I have quite a collection of the old lamps and lanterns. The 2 mantle lamps are stamped “Sunshine of the night” and they each have the year of manufacture stamped under the logo.

Bullet Caster
11-08-2012, 11:26 PM
My wife and I have used a kerosene heater now for over 35 years. Our house is kinda drafty so we use no ventilation and have never succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning. I've only replaced the wick once during that time. However, I did manage to break the glass on the burner and went to flea bay for a replacement. Could not find the exact replacement so I chose the nearest one that would fit. After a little glass cutting I got it to fit and we're using it at the present time. We use the kerosene heater to supplement our fire place when it gets really cold. Now I've got to get out in the woods with my Husqvarna chain saw and get us some more wood. We buy kerosene at the local Co-Op for $3.99/gal. This kerosene is coloured red for some reason. I've never used the coloured kero before. I also use it to melt my rifle boolit lube for ranch dipping.

I think it was Mooseman that first mentioned the Alladin lamp. Man, I grew up with one of those lanterns. Whenever the power would go out, my dad would always break out the Alladin lamp and we'd use it until the power came back on. I remember how bright that mantle would glow. I wish I had that old lantern in my possession but I really don't know what became of it.

I have 2 Coleman gas lanterns, a double mantle and a single mantle. I'd always known about using Amoco white gas in them. It's certainly cheaper than the $10.00/gal. Coleman fuel. I do like the single mantle one the best--the little red one. While going to a Civil War re-enactment I got into an accident, had the back of our old Explorer filled to the brim with all our camping gear, and had that Coleman up against a back window. After the accident I found the glass broken on globe and we had no light for our camping. I've since replaced the globe and the little red Coleman still functions to this day. Had to use it not too long ago when the power went out.

I do all of my casting on an old Coleman camp stove and have never had an ounce of problems with it. I know I could use it in a pinch for cooking if the power is ever out for any length of time. I did not know that BP sold white gas. I'm gonna have to check that out 'cause Coleman fuel is just to danged expensive.

I've got two 20 lb. propane tanks I used to use on my grill before it went beaucoup dead. Now I must search out a propane lantern to use as a supplement to the Coleman gas lantern. I've seen others use a 20 lb. propane tank with a christmas tree set up for a heater and lantern. That light would burn for an entire weekend at our campsite and the guy used the heater for his tent. Think I might go this route. BC

Lord999
08-14-2018, 06:58 AM
Sorry for a bump,just my two cents...
More than 90 percent of the kerosene smell occurs when the lantern is first extinguished, or first lit, my opinion. You can carry the lantern outside to do these functions, that will help with the fumes. There is also a highly refined version of kerosene sold under the name Clear-Lite, and others, there is no odor from it. Trimming the wick will also help with smoke and fumes. Keep in mind that the kerosene lantern does not put out a lot of light, 15 candle power might be a good estimate for the average lantern. The light output is more than adequate for navigating a room without tripping, and some reading up close. Kerosene lanterns do use fuel sparingly, a real plus if you don't know where the next gallon will come from. Dietz has a version that has a huge fuel tank, burns 72 hours on a filling, so shop around and pick the one that best meets your needs. Some Dietz versions put out almost twice the light output, and I have even seen one that has an attachable cooking pot to make a cup of tea or whatever. Kerosene lanterns are cheap, so I would keep one around just in case, along with some extra wick. The Dietz brand lantern has a reputation that it can be knocked over and not catch on fire, you might want to tip it over unlit or devise some way to know yours is safe. Again, I would recommend that you have one just in case, it wont cost much to have that option covered.

Coleman fuel lanterns are also very handy, and not very expensive, I would own one if at all possible. I would suggest you buy a dual fuel version, because you are more likely to find regular gas after a **** situation than Coleman fuel. If you get a chance to pick up an older one at a garage sale do it. On the negative side they are rather fuelish, some burn up to a quart of fuel for an all night burn. Keep in mind that a dual mantel lantern uses almost twice the fuel, that is probably obvious. Coleman fuel is actually Naphtha with rust inhibitors according to Coleman Naphtha has an octane rating of about 55, so I would not pour it in the gas tank of a modern car. The older Coleman lanterns will run on regular gasoline in a pinch, but the gas generator will need to be replaced more frequently. While on the topic of generators, keep a spare generator, mantels on hand. Coleman also has two models of Kerosene pressure lanterns, not as common, and they require burning alcohol or other fuel as a pre-heater to start the lantern. If you have access to lots of kerosene then the Coleman pressure version may be the best choice since it puts out as much light as the Coleman fuel lanterns. I have friends that claim that they have tested their kerosene lamps, lanterns and Aladdin lamps on diesel as well. Note, with toady's diesel prices that advice may not help much. If you have access to kerosene sold at the pump with red dye, no road tax, you can save money. The dye does not affect anything, just cheaper

Other options might include a Britelyt (Petromax) lantern that will burn almost anything, kerosene, diesel, gasoline, Coleman fuel, bio-diesel, ethanol, etc, again they come in several versions/sizes (light output) up to something similar to a 400 watt bulb output, yikes. Kerosene mantel lamps are another bright almost elegant light source, the best known name brand there is Aladdin. The mantels are expensive, and you would need to have some spares. I keep a variety of light sources and recommend you should have the flexibility to use whatever fuel you might find.

To the post above about LED lanterns, there are several very good LED lanterns available, with choices improving with time. My latest favorite is the Guide Gear LED lantern, pretty bright and runs 400 hours on a set of (4) batteries. I use rechargeable D-cells that I can charge off solar.

dbosman
08-14-2018, 08:12 PM
Some of the standard Coleman lanterns can be converted to kerosene by changing the generator to a kero unit and adding a preheat cup. I used to know the model numbers but gave all the lanterns to the local scouts and gave away the pressure lights after running into three fires (easily put out) in one day, while working on my collection of gas pressure lights. I decided I didn't have the temperament to continue that hobby.

Slahp
01-26-2021, 10:03 PM
I have rebuilt a lot of 220 dual mantel lanterns very simple and reliable. They will run forever on a tank of Coleman fuel. I just ran a gallon of fuel last year from the 80's without a problem. My best running Coleman lantern is a 327 with a mica globe. It ran after cleaning the tank and the generator. Oldcolemanparts.com has a lot of good information and Forum on repairing Coleman lanterns plus parts.

omgb
01-27-2021, 04:49 AM
I went to that Frenchmark site. It's all about decorative lamps, not field ready lamps. I was a Coleman repair guy back in the 70s. I read their books, studied the use and maintenance. If it is a Coleman and burns fuel, I have fixed or serviced it. I have converted a number of lanterns to K1 kerosene just for fun. They burn much brighter than gas but, they will roach a good finish in no time. The enamel just pops off. I have several dual fuel Northstars. Those are my gotos. The 220 series lanterns are bullet proof but the NS lamps are brighter.

shampine
01-27-2021, 06:24 AM
I would check out https://frenchmarketlanterns.com/. They have a wide selection of gas lanterns that are far superior to anything Coleman produces

Did you even look at the site you linked to ? Do you even know what a Coleman lantern is ?

onelight
01-27-2021, 06:27 AM
Did you even look at the site you linked to ? Do you even know what a Coleman lantern is ?
I think those would look nice hanging on the front of a tent :)

shampine
01-27-2021, 06:41 AM
Some of them may , would be sweet hanging from a wrought iron shepherd's hook.:-D I will stick with my Colemans , they have soul.

Bird
01-27-2021, 10:22 AM
Always had Tilley lanterns in the UK. They ran on paraffin (kerosene). Well built, and seemed much brighter than the Colemans. Have several Colemans now. They get the job done reliably now that I stopped running them on gasoline and use camp or coleman fuel.

Petrol & Powder
01-27-2021, 10:24 AM
WOW, this is an old thread that keeps kicking.

I have great respect for pressurized kerosene lamps and stoves. I prefer kerosene over gasoline, but I do own and use both types. However my gasoline powered stoves are restricted to lead melting duties and never see food.
Gasoline (petrol) equipment seems to be a bit more common in the U.S.
Kerosene seems to to be the preferred fuel for portable lamps & stoves in the rest of the world. I'm not sure how that came about.

The learning curve for propane stoves and lanterns is much shorter than pressurized liquid fuel lanterns and stoves (although there's more stored energy per pound in kerosene than propane). Couple that with LED technology and the lanterns that burn any type of fuel are probably headed for nostalgic status.

Pressurized kerosene lanterns do have some soul. They provide a lot of light and some heat. They are easy to repair and rather reliable when you understand them.

From a practical viewpoint - A LED lantern is clearly the way to go. Lots of run time, Lots of light, No flame or fumes, No skill required to operate. But there's just something awesome about an old Optimus, Petromax or Coleman running on kerosene.

onelight
01-27-2021, 12:10 PM
Yup the LED lanterns don't have the character of the old Coleman's .

SweetMk
01-27-2021, 01:02 PM
Yup the LED lanterns don't have the character of the old Coleman's .

Yea,, but, LED costs a tiny fraction of any liquid fuel light,,
and even more important is that LED is WAY safer,,
With LED,, there is no:
heat
fumes
flames
CO

My neighbor has been buying EVERY Coleman stove, white gas light, etc,, that he has found for the last 20 years.
I am sure he planned on the price going up,,,

Now, he has an 8X10 shed full of scrap that will go to the landfill when he passes,,,

SweetMk
01-27-2021, 01:14 PM
For 30 years, we have kept oil lanterns for use during power outages.

Now we have a 500 watt $35 inverter that connects to a car battery.
that inverter operates all the LED house lamps that we could want,, (@ 9 watts each)

More importantly, the inverter powers the internet box and wireless router,, and two laptops.
And it will charge our phones.
Basically, it will power any small device that operates with a transformer.

The inverter has a fan that runs if more than about 200 watts is used.
The fan has only run for a few minutes,, during more than 100 hours of inverter use.

So, beyond light,, the inverter keeps us out of the 19th century,, for only $35,,,,

Tracy
01-27-2021, 01:53 PM
I used to have several Coleman lanterns, including the kerosene version. That one is missing along with a few others.
I never had very good luck with the kerosene version. My favorite Coleman, which I still have, is a 1966 US military version that is stamped on the bottom that it is intended for leaded gasoline. I have mostly used Coleman fuel in it, but occasionally regular unleaded gasoline. It has been my most reliable Coleman lantern.

For kerosene, it's hard to beat a Dietz Air Pilot. Or a Little Wizard for lower output with extended burn times.

Petrol & Powder
01-27-2021, 03:14 PM
Comparing a wick type kerosene lamp to a pressurized mantle type kerosene lamp is sort of like comparing a one speed kids bike to a 10 speed road bike. They're both bicycles but not really in the same league.

The pressurized kerosene lanterns such as a Petromax, require a bit of skill (not a lot, but some) to run. The wick type lamps are very simple but they are basically kerosene powered candles with a glass globe.

Most of the problems with pressurized kerosene lanterns are a result of improper pre-heating or dirty fuel.

Winger Ed.
01-27-2021, 03:26 PM
I still have, is a 1966 US military version that is stamped on the bottom that it is intended for leaded gasoline. I have mostly used Coleman fuel in it, but occasionally regular unleaded gasoline. .

That was always a dirty little secret.
We had a version of Coleman lanterns. We'd send several with the Grunts when they went 'camping'.
They were to set up and mark out a safe, helicopter landing zone for an emergency med-evac at night.

These versions had a real big steel top cover to illuminate the ground, but not mess with a pilot's night vision.
They were painted olive drab, the tank was smaller, and the glass lens part was real short.

They were marked 'Lantern Gasoline' (one each).
But the glow bags, generator, pump, etc. was exactly the same part number as the
civilian version marked 'Coleman fuel only', which was unleaded gasoline with no additives package (Lead) in it.

When word started leaking out, Coleman changed their label to 'Duel Fuel'.
And said you could run them on no-lead gasoline.
But the guts of the lantern was still the same.

tazman
01-27-2021, 03:43 PM
That was always a dirty little secret.
We had a version of Coleman lanterns. We'd send several with the Grunts when they went 'camping'.
They were to set up and mark out a safe, helicopter landing zone for an emergency med-evac at night.

These versions had a real big steel top cover to illuminate the ground, but not mess with a pilot's night vision.
They were painted olive drab, the tank was smaller, and the glass lens part was real short.

They were marked 'Lantern Gasoline' (one each).
But the glow bags, generator, pump, etc. was exactly the same part number as the
civilian version marked 'Coleman fuel only', which was unleaded gasoline with no additives package (Lead) in it.

When word started leaking out, Coleman changed their label to 'Duel Fuel'.
And said you could run them on no-lead gasoline.
But the guts of the lantern was still the same.

I always wondered why they changed the label to dual fuel. It never appeared that the internals had changed.
I found one of those lanterns you describe at a yard sale years ago. I doubt I still have it.

Winger Ed.
01-27-2021, 04:15 PM
I always wondered why they changed the label to dual fuel.

I wondered too.
Right up until I got the generators to rebuild a old one and a new duel fuel. They were the same part number!

Then, after a little head scratching and chin rubbing:
I wondered if being able to sell the cheapest grade of (not even road taxed) unleaded gasoline
at the grocery store for $15-20 a gallon had something to do with the 'Coleman fuel only' thing.

But that concept is still alive and well.
Check out the prices of pre-mixed 50:1 chain saw fuel at Home Depot or the local hardware store.
And if they didn't sell it---- they wouldn't stock it either.

On their behalf:
In the old days with leaded gas- if you didn't clean it out for storage, and occasionally use a little bump of
carb. cleaner, the generator would clog up with the same crud you'd see in car carberators.

If used inside:
The leaded gas did stink, make your eyes burn, and the fumes from it didn't help your health even a little bit.

Petrol & Powder
01-27-2021, 04:50 PM
Yep, if it will run on Coleman Fuel it will run on unleaded gasoline.

That's right up there with "power steering fluid" which was really expensive Dextron II ATF for years.

FergusonTO35
01-27-2021, 06:28 PM
I use my Dietz Air Pilot and Blizzard most of the time. With a good, properly trimmed wick and fresh kerosene (not lamp oil) you would be amazed at how bright they can actually be. I also have a new production Coleman Dual Fuel and single mantle kerosene when I really need to light things up.

W.R.Buchanan
01-27-2021, 08:44 PM
I just got my Coleman Army Stove out the other day and played with it, then I found a cloth bag that fit it perfectly in my stash of bags, so now it lives in there. It is a Coleman Model 530. I got it for $20 a few years ago at the LA Roadster Show Swap Meet. at the LA Fairgrounds.

It is complete with Fuel Funnel and the Case which is two pots that go together and the Wrench/Pot Handle. I think I got a deal? I have always used Coleman Fuel but now I know that Unleaded gas is teh same as White Gas without an additives, I can use that. I have a can of Coleman Fuel that is 30+ years old. White gas never goes bad as long as the cap is on tight.

I have 3 full size Lanterns, 1 Back Packer Size Lantern, a Two Burner Camp Stove, a Single Burner Stove, a Back Packer Stove and the GI Stove.

I consider these appliances among the coolest things I own and most of them I have owned for at least 30+ years. The stuff is made to last.

As a side note I actually dated the Heir to the Coleman Fortune back in the 80's (2 dates). She was Filthy Rich and lived in Hope Ranch near Santa Barbara. She was nice but found someone who was more on her level financially. Her Home was worth $16 mil in 1980! I lived in a 2 Bedroom Condo that I rented. She wasn't impressed.

Oh well, another one that got away.

Randy

tazman
01-27-2021, 10:54 PM
I wondered too.
Right up until I got the generators to rebuild a old one and a new duel fuel. They were the same part number!

Then, after a little head scratching and chin rubbing:
I wondered if being able to sell the cheapest grade of (not even road taxed) unleaded gasoline
at the grocery store for $15-20 a gallon had something to do with the 'Coleman fuel only' thing.

But that concept is still alive and well.
Check out the prices of pre-mixed 50:1 chain saw fuel at Home Depot or the local hardware store.
And if they didn't sell it---- they wouldn't stock it either.

On their behalf:
In the old days with leaded gas- if you didn't clean it out for storage, and occasionally use a little bump of
carb. cleaner, the generator would clog up with the same crud you'd see in car carberators.

If used inside:
The leaded gas did stink, make your eyes burn, and the fumes from it didn't help your health even a little bit.

Yes. I tried some unleaded gas in one at one point. I found out very quickly that the gasoline really needed to be filtered for any small particles before it could be used without problems. I ended up rebuilding a generator/needle valve unit because of the dirt in the gasoline.

Petrol & Powder
01-27-2021, 11:59 PM

As a side note I actually dated the Heir to the Coleman Fortune back in the 80's (2 dates). She was Filthy Rich and lived in Hope Ranch near Santa Barbara. She was nice but found someone who was more on her level financially. Her Home was worth $16 mil in 1980! I lived in a 2 Bedroom Condo that I rented. She wasn't impressed.

Oh well, another one that got away.

Randy

You likely dodged a bullet.

A good woman would not care about your wealth, or at that age...your family's wealth.
Your character, work ethic, integrity, loyalty - would be the important factors to a GOOD woman.

Consider yourself lucky.

Winger Ed.
01-27-2021, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE=tazman;5100234] I found out very quickly that the gasoline really needed to be filtered for any small particles before it could be used without problems.

I have only had one Coleman lantern that I got new.
It was the first year or so after they'd switched to the gray paint job instead of green,
and they'd started putting the duel fuel decal on them.

I don't know quite how effective it is, but it came with a clever funnel that had a filter sponge in it,
and a little vent pipe thing that kept you from over filling the tank.

Winger Ed.
01-28-2021, 12:02 AM
She was nice but found someone who was more on her level financially.

No big loss.
She probably couldn't clean fish, or help butcher a deer, and was high maintenance anyway.

omgb
01-28-2021, 02:52 AM
Here's the straight poop on the Coleman fuel issue. Any Coleman gas lantern will run on pump gas for a good long while. However, in the end, they will clog the generators. There are just so many additives put in pump gas that it's mind boggling. These additives will cook down and "coke" in the generator. Old style gennies uses a long wire that was wrapped with a coil and surrounded by a paper tube. The multi fuel gennies use a much coarser coil and a slightly larger orifice but will eventually clog if run on RUG (regular unleaded gas). Back in the lead days, running a Coleman lantern with leaded gas in it was not only unhealthy for the lungs but it killed generators in as little as a few hours running.

Milspec lanterns, even if they say Coleman (most do not and were in fact made by several companies including SMP, the most common) do not use Coleman burners. They use a design licensed from the Aladdin Corp. These are very low pressure lanterns with huge orvices and can be a real bear to light if pumped more than 5-10 strokes. They are made to run on any gasoline in just about any field condition imaginable. They also roar when running. Not something you want to sit around and play cards next to.

Coleman fuel is Naptha. The same stuff they sell as Zippo fluid or Ronsinol. There is zero difference. It is highly refined but has a slightly different vapor pressure than RUG.

shampine
01-28-2021, 08:17 AM
Here's the straight poop on the Coleman fuel issue. Any Coleman gas lantern will run on pump gas for a good long while. However, in the end, they will clog the generators. There are just so many additives put in pump gas that it's mind boggling. These additives will cook down and "coke" in the generator. Old style gennies uses a long wire that was wrapped with a coil and surrounded by a paper tube. The multi fuel gennies use a much coarser coil and a slightly larger orifice but will eventually clog if run on RUG (regular unleaded gas). Back in the lead days, running a Coleman lantern with leaded gas in it was not only unhealthy for the lungs but it killed generators in as little as a few hours running.

Milspec lanterns, even if they say Coleman (most do not and were in fact made by several companies including SMP, the most common) do not use Coleman burners. They use a design licensed from the Aladdin Corp. These are very low pressure lanterns with huge orvices and can be a real bear to light if pumped more than 5-10 strokes. They are made to run on any gasoline in just about any field condition imaginable. They also roar when running. Not something you want to sit around and play cards next to.

Coleman fuel is Naptha. The same stuff they sell as Zippo fluid or Ronsinol. There is zero difference. It is highly refined but has a slightly different vapor pressure than RUG.

Great info , thanks for clearing things up . I learned something new already, and the day is still young.

Petrol & Powder
01-28-2021, 07:44 PM
While Coleman Fuel (Naphtha) is certainly not the same substance as unleaded gasoline, just about any stove/lantern that runs on Coleman fuel will also run on unleaded gasoline.
Running the device on gasoline may result in shorter life for the gas generator but the question is, "how much shorter"?
Considering the obscenely high cost of Coleman fuel (White gas), you can buy a LOT of gas generators for the difference in cost between unleaded gasoline and Coleman fuel.
The real advantages of white gas (Naphtha) is it burns cleaner and stores better. If you're not super good with your storage methods, Coleman fuel is a bit more forgiving.

Bird
01-29-2021, 12:08 PM
While Coleman Fuel (Naphtha) is certainly not the same substance as unleaded gasoline, just about any stove/lantern that runs on Coleman fuel will also run on unleaded gasoline.
Running the device on gasoline may result in shorter life for the gas generator but the question is, "how much shorter"?
Considering the obscenely high cost of Coleman fuel (White gas), you can buy a LOT of gas generators for the difference in cost between unleaded gasoline and Coleman fuel.
The real advantages of white gas (Naphtha) is it burns cleaner and stores better. If you're not super good with your storage methods, Coleman fuel is a bit more forgiving.

I use a coleman northster dual fuel the most. I was running it on regular gas, and after about 6 or 8 refills the generator clogged up. I tried the good old berrymans carb dip and soaked it for a few days, but it still did not come clean. A year ago I could not find generators for this model so replaced it with a 639-370c gen. I have yet to light it. It is cheaper to use coleman fuel or camp fuel than replace the generators. Production of the Northstar stopped a while ago, but coleman says it has not been discontinued.

perotter
01-29-2021, 12:24 PM
Yea,, but, LED costs a tiny fraction of any liquid fuel light,,
and even more important is that LED is WAY safer,,
With LED,, there is no:
heat
fumes
flames
CO

My neighbor has been buying EVERY Coleman stove, white gas light, etc,, that he has found for the last 20 years.
I am sure he planned on the price going up,,,

Now, he has an 8X10 shed full of scrap that will go to the landfill when he passes,,,

The thing I have against the LED lamps is them not giving of heat!!

Petrol & Powder
01-29-2021, 02:56 PM
I use a coleman northster dual fuel the most. I was running it on regular gas, and after about 6 or 8 refills the generator clogged up. I tried the good old berrymans carb dip and soaked it for a few days, but it still did not come clean. A year ago I could not find generators for this model so replaced it with a 639-370c gen. I have yet to light it. It is cheaper to use coleman fuel or camp fuel than replace the generators. Production of the Northstar stopped a while ago, but coleman says it has not been discontinued.

I can't remember that last time I had to replace a gas generator in a Coleman stove that I was running unleaded gasoline in.
Will unleaded gas eventually plug up a generator? - Probably
Will it plug up the generator so quickly that it's uneconomical to use unleaded gasoline? - Absolutely not.

The cost of the White gas (Coleman Fuel) is so high that even if you have to occasionally replace the gas generator, you're still ahead of the game.
A lot of the failures come from allowing gasoline/ethanol blends (pretty much all pump gas these days) to sit in the device during storage. The same way gasohol (90/10 gasoline -ethanol fuel) will varnish and plug up a carburetor, it will harm a pressurized fuel stove/lantern.

Even with the slightly more expensive non-ethanol gasoline, you're still way ahead of the cost of Coleman Fuel even IF you have to occasionally replace a gas generator.
I disagree that it is cheaper to use Coleman Fuel.

W.R.Buchanan
01-29-2021, 04:04 PM
You likely dodged a bullet.

A good woman would not care about your wealth, or at that age...your family's wealth.
Your character, work ethic, integrity, loyalty - would be the important factors to a GOOD woman.

Consider yourself lucky.

Yeah but if it didn't last, who do you think would have made out in the divorce? I could have retired at 30

She was also good looking and I was definitely punching above my weight class.

The one I ended up with was the first and only one that I never had to worry about screwing around on me.

That was in 1989 we're still here.

As far as the cost of Coleman Fuel? There are other brands of the same thing at Walmart for $5-6/gallon. I haven't used that much in a long time so it is no big deal.

Randy

FergusonTO35
01-29-2021, 06:14 PM
I was that placeholder guy too many times to count before I got married. Some fond memories but sure dont ever want to repeat it!