PDA

View Full Version : In the market

Longone
09-20-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm in the market for a new rimfire rifle (22LR), anybody shooting the new Savage MK 2?

What other rifle should be considered? I'm not looking for an Anschutz or 1k$ 40x, just something that is a bolt action that can be taken to the range and will shoot sub MOA.

Thanks, Longone

LUCKYDAWG13
09-20-2012, 05:52 PM
take a look at the CZ - 455 for under $500. i think i got mine for $430. ish
this gun is a tack driver with cheep Ammo you know the 500rds for $16. stuff
looks grate

Longone
09-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Howz the trigger on them CZ's?

Longone

LUCKYDAWG13
09-20-2012, 06:22 PM
have you ever shot a T/C Contender the trigger is real good out of the box i put a Leupold 2x7
on mine i shoot dimes at 50 yards with bulk federal you can switch out the barrels on them
to 22lr 22mag and a 17 HMR

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
09-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Yep, check out the CZ 452 American if you can find one, or some of the new models.

For plenty of info on the CZ and the trigger, go to Rimfire Central Forum and you will find lots of people who enjoy the CZ.

AS per the cost of the rifle, if your not paying for name or something like that, with increased cost CAN come increased shootability.

For example, the better the barrel, the greater number of brands and types of ammo that will shoot well.

Where high end target/match ammo may shoot very well from some cheaper rifles, they may begin to lag greatly when the typical off the shelf ammo is used.

I have seen this happen when a friend and I had a friendly shootout. His much cheaper rifle basically matched my rifle with the high end ammo, but the next time out when we shot the "off the self" ammo, his rifle lagged far behind the Walther barrel.

From the reports I read, the CZs must have good barrels!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

corvette8n
09-20-2012, 08:20 PM
I like my Savage MKII heavy barrel puts all the rounds one hole but it is not .22 but 17mk2.

**oneshot**
09-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Another vote for the CZ. I have a Lux and it has turned 2 others into safe queens.

Longone
10-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Well as luck would have It I ended up in Maine last weekend for a wedding and stopped in LL Bean to look around while the wife went shopping. They had three CZ 455 Varmint rifles in the rack that were bought from a store that was going out. They were marked used but were brand new never fired. Everything in the store was 10% off and we had a $10 off coupon so it worked out to be a pretty good deal.

I had a chance to mount a scope and get to the range yesterday and it is a shooter, It seems like the Federal ammo made for semi-auto pistols and CCI std ammo a lot. The trigger is the best I have shot next to an Anschutz.

Now I need to figure out what scope to put on it because the Bushnell Sportview is coming off.

Longone

Bullshop
10-14-2012, 08:23 AM
CZ model 99 otherwise known as a Remington model 5.

OBXPilgrim
10-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Rimfire Central forum has some real good info on them. The triggers can be worked to be excellent with just a little polishing and other tricks.

I good Mildot scope helps a bunch when matched with some of the good, accurate standard velocity ammo out there (personally like CCI SV for me & my Silhoutte model 452). It's done several all touching 5 shot groups at 40 yards after doing a little bedding work after tossing the barrel lug & screw.