PDA

View Full Version : Garand Ammo

Scrounger
05-24-2007, 06:04 PM
I want to buy some .30-06 ammo for my Garand. CMP has two kinds, Greek or LC Ball; is there a preference between the two? Or maybe another source? I'd prefer to buy it in the clips and bandoliers rather than have to buy them separately.

e15cap
05-24-2007, 07:01 PM
The Greek stuff is very good. And cheaper.

Texasflyboy
05-24-2007, 09:00 PM
CMP has two kinds, Greek or LC Ball; is there a preference between the two?

Get the Greek. The ammunition was made on USGI equipment sold to the Greek gov't after WWII, and made with U.S. assistance (technical oversight). Some have speculated that the equipment sold to the Greeks was either the DEN (Denver) or SL (Saint Louis) equipment used to make DEN or SL headstamped ball rounds. The packaging of the Greek is identical in every way to .30 ball made at DEN and packaged for the 03/03A3 Springfields or M1 Garands.

The ammunition is virtually identical to US made .30 ball. I bought a good bit of this ammo when it was first imported. Boxed primed, good brass, and fairly accurate ammo.

dk17hmr
05-24-2007, 10:42 PM
My dad and I shoot the Greek ammo. Shoot very nice in both of our Garands. The brass reloads nice to.

garandsrus
05-24-2007, 11:48 PM
The Greek has been more accurate for several folks that have tried both. The brass is a little easier to reload also since you don't need to swage the primer pocket.

I much prefer the Greek to the LC I have tried.

John

Scrounger
05-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Several posts favored the Greek ammo and I thank you for that information.

rugerman1
06-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Where do you buy this ammo? Thru the CMP?

garandsrus
06-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Rugerman1,

Correct... www.odcmp.com Then go to the e-Store and "Ammo Commercial." The item number is 407-CASE for a case of the ammo.

John

Rooster
06-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Rugerman, I believe they require a club affiliation to purchase ammo. Join the Garand Collectors Assn. its something like $20-25/year (link at CMP website: http://www.odcmp.com/ ), they have a really nice quarterly magazine devoted to all kinds of historical and technical information relating to the M1. I really geek out when that comes in the mail, SHMBO thinks its funny. That GCA membership should be good enough to get the e-Store items, the rifles will take more but go to the CMP site and read all about it.