PDA

View Full Version : Antimony, unknown %

Czech_too
09-20-2012, 06:57 AM
While I was at the local metal recycler, I got a chance to talk with the owner regarding purchasing some lead, which he had plenty of and at reasonable prices. He showed me some ingots of various sizes and shapes which he said had antimony in and that I probably wouldn't be interested in them. Then mentioned that the gun/instrument that they use to scan for content wouldn't register antimony. Has anyone else come across this by chance?

I'll probably pass on the ingots because of the unknown antimony content but he has roughly 80+ pounds of unused lead sheeting maybe 1/8" thick. I can see adding that to my stash.

garrisonjoe
09-20-2012, 10:54 AM
The analyzers read antimony. Maybe he doesn't realize that antimony is abbreviated Sb, so he can't find it on the read-out? If the analyzer is working, there is not much way for it to fail to give a good reading for antimony but spit out a good reading for the other metals. It's just x-ray diffraction, after all.

High-antimonial lead of course is pretty good stuff. If he really can't read the antimony content, you could always buy an ingot or two and take them down the street to "offer to sell" them to another metal yard, and let them scan it for you. ;^)

Any lead at a reasonable price is worth checking out!

Czech_too
09-20-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm going to have to pursue this further, especially now that I know I have a good source.

Went back there today and what I was told was 80+ pounds was more like 267!!! Thank goodness it was in two rolls. I took the lighter of the two. If the other one is stilll there next month, I'll pick it up too. May need some help getting it out of the truck bed though.

The pension check only goes so far. :sad:

MBTcustom
09-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Lead is lead.
If its soft, add a dab of linotype to it. If its too hard, use it to sweeten WW alloy.