PDA

View Full Version : lithi-bee

ubetcha
09-19-2012, 08:42 PM
ok. I've been looking and not finding(or over looked) some info on using lithi-bee for pan lubing.I did see one post about LB being to soft for a pan lube. Will adding more BW to the mix harden it up for a pan lube? Anyother recipie out here that maybe compatible or better than LB for a pan?

geargnasher
09-19-2012, 09:19 PM
I don't like grease-based lubes for pan work because they're too difficult to melt well, and when they do melt, they aren't as "liquid" as wax/oil based lubes. At 200 F lithi-bee is about like thick gravy, depending on the grease/wax ratio. Ben's Red is a lithi-bee based lube with some other stuff thrown in, it does ok for pan lubing, but if I were you I'd be thinking about Felix lube, Randyrat's TAC #1, or just Vaseline/beeswax.

Do a search for "pan lubing" and you'll turn up several excellent threads on the subject from this year.

Gear

ubetcha
09-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Thanks Gear.I do have so Felix made up for my lubersizer,so I will give that a try.I have tried Bens Red,but it doesn't stay in the grooves when the bullet is removed.I could try a kake cutter with that.

leftiye
09-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Cool the pan of boolits before cutting with cake cutter?

Ben
09-20-2012, 07:31 AM
ubetcha :

If you followed the directions to the letter on making Ben's Red, there is absolutely no problems using it to pan lube.( I have never tried simply pushing them out backwards out of the solidified lube )

I've used it with a Kake Cutter and had nothing but success. it works best when the pan is still " luke warm" in removing the bullets from the lube with the Kake Cutter. Sometimes if allowed to fully cool & harden, it is a chore to remove the bullets with the Kake Cutter.

Several others here on the forum are pan lubing with Ben's Red and having no problems.

Ben

frnkeore
09-20-2012, 12:26 PM
If your looking for a Lithium pan lube that you can push the bullets out of, try just 30% white lithium in BW. It takes a lot of stiring to get it mixed but, it stays mixed. You usually have to refridgerate it to shrink it enough to get it out of the pan but, you then only have to push them out. I've used it for 24 years and have shot .43 5 shot groups using it at 2200 fps in 32 caliber. That said, it does not work as well as the other lubes I use for <1500 fps loads.

Frank

ubetcha
09-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Ben
My mix of Ben's Red stays in a semi soft condition.It does not get completely hard per se.My second try at making Ben's Red seemed to work out good compared to my first try.I will try it again as a pan lube because of the very positive results I have been reading about.The reason I was thinking about lithibee was because again of the positive feed back.I still have some old Lee pan lubing kits yet.Wish they still made them.I think the worked out quite well.