PDA

View Full Version : Removing the Cap from a Lyman 4500 Lubrizer

Jeff82
09-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Does anyone know how to remove the resevior cap from a Lyman 4500 lubrisizor? I just received one and can't figure out how to remove the cap to install lubricant sticks.

oneokie
09-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Don't know about the 4500, but if it is like the 450, use a thin bladed screwdriver or a pocket knife blade to lift it enough that you can grasp it between thumb and finger to lift off.

sparky45
09-19-2012, 06:39 PM
I just back out the threaded plunger and it lifts the cap.

1874Sharps
09-19-2012, 07:27 PM
If you back out the threaded plug that the ratchet turns the plug will come out. After the plug pops up you may have to hold it on the edges so it will not turn and so it will keep on coming out. After you get it out you can fill it with the lube of your choice and screw the plug back down. One method of filling it is melting the lube and pouring it in. If you do that, be sure to leave enough room at the top for the plug to fit. I have over filled mine before and it is a bit messy.

canyon-ghost
09-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Yes, no threads on that little steel cap. The screw in the center pushes against it some and keeps it from moving. It's probably has lube around it holding it down. Slip "el pocket knife" under the edge and gently lift straight up. You'll have to bring all sides up at the same time. Fits snug.

Ron

09-19-2012, 08:45 PM
One method of filling it is melting the lube and pouring it in.

Jeff,
You said you will be using lube sticks, but if you ever decide to do the above, be sure to install a sizing die.

Jeff82
09-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks all!

PS Paul
09-21-2012, 01:09 PM
So it sounds as if you got one from that guy on the forum there, Jeff. Congratulations!
Not sure if you got the cap off yet, but it helps if the thing is bolted down and not just being held in your hands. I tried that the first time I got one and realized bolting down was necessary.

Otherwise, happy casting!
Paul

Jeff82
09-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Well, PS Paul, I did get a lubrasizor. It was a different one from what was offered on the forum. I did get the cap off. Unfortunately, the valve was frozen and I snapped the valve stem trying to loosen it. But, I'm not deterred. All part of the learning experience.

PS Paul
09-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Well, PS Paul, I did get a lubrasizor. It was a different one from what was offered on the forum. I did get the cap off. Unfortunately, the valve was frozen and I snapped the valve stem trying to loosen it. But, I'm not deterred. All part of the learning experience.

Awww, man. Bummer. Well, like you said, a learning experience....... It is likely those parts won't be an arm and a leg anyway.
Paul