View Full Version : Swage / Case Lube

Fla9-40
09-19-2012, 04:50 PM
For the life of me I cannot find the recipe for Swage/Case lube someone posted using pure Lanolin. Does anyone have a good recipe or link for this?

DukeInFlorida
09-19-2012, 05:31 PM
I use Randy Rat's anhydrous lanolin with Militec-1 synthetic lube. Mechanically mix (no heat).

Others have used the lanolin with:
Castor Oil
Olive Oil
synthetic two cycle oil

All will work for you.

The result should be thick, almost like Vasoline consistency. Dip a finger tip in, rub fingers together, and apply to brass.

Here's the way to get ahold of Randy Rat (who is a very good guy!):
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=137124

Lizard333
09-20-2012, 12:14 AM
50/50 lanolin castor oil. Simple and easy to use.

runfiverun
09-20-2012, 12:21 AM
i use 2-1 lanolin to castor oil, just melt the lanolin and pour in the castor oil,stir till cool.
let it set up.

BT Sniper
09-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Yep! as posted!

Make sure it is anhydrous! As in NO WATER!

SImply melt lanolin and add caster oil. Anywhere from 2-1 to 1-1 will work well.

BT

Fla9-40
09-21-2012, 07:17 AM
Hey GREAT Thanks for all the recipes...Need to go get some caster oil this weekend!

Thanks again guys!

parrott1969
09-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Not meaning to high jack this thread but as a kid did any of your parents make you take a dose of castory oil. YUCK!!! That stuff scares me to this day.

DukeInFlorida
09-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Growing up in New England, it was Cod Liver Oil that my mom forced on us. Now a days, we pay big $$$ for "Fish Oil" as a dietary supplement. Same thing.

Back on subject:

I mix Militec-1 in with my anhydrous lanolin because I don't want the added portion to oxidize or sour (bacteria) over time. The Militec-1 is a synthetic lube, doesn't sour/oxidize, and works well.

Oh, and one more tip:

I use 35mm film canisters for storing and using the lube. I get them FREE from film processing places.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6kA-ymnGjzOTHD7M8fyLxD3Qi_PApXQxnZa_NQ5SA34izNZXtdWzPN _0t

parrott1969
09-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Duke, lanolin can sour? I did not know that.

DukeInFlorida
09-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Lanolin is the oil/grease from sheeps wool, an animal product. Yes, that can get infected with bacteria, etc.

If you use castor oil, that is a plant product, and can also sour or get infected.

My using a synthetic oil as part of the lube, I am reducing one item that could go bad.

Read this about olive oil:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061113202051AAbXZAR

Then, apply it to other biological ingredients.

OK, I know we're not eating it................. But I don't want it on my hands either.

Fla9-40
09-21-2012, 07:01 PM
WOW Duke did not know the film processing places still had those 35mm canisters...GREAT idea!

Also I was checking out the Militec-1 and came across several reads how they would send that stuff FREE to our military troops and how well it worked on their weapons...In my book, that sold me! I ordered some today! =;)

Lizard333
09-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Not meaning to high jack this thread but as a kid did any of your parents make you take a dose of castory oil. YUCK!!! That stuff scares me to this day.

Funny you mention that.. My wife was two weeks late with our first son, and her doc told her to mix castor oil and a frosty to induce labor. Needless to say it didn't work getting her to induce, but it did make her NEVER want another frosty ever again!

plus1hdcp
09-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Duke, are you using a 1 to 1 mixture?

Fla9-40
09-22-2012, 07:55 AM
One question about Lanolin, why does it have to be anhydrous, containing no water?

I know I'm a little slow here :)

DukeInFlorida
09-22-2012, 08:26 AM
It's more anhydrous than Militec. I don't weigh or accurately measure the ingredients. It's more a touchy-feely thing. I add militec until I get a good creamy consistency. Should be able to firm up nicely when mixed, yet be creamy smooth when you dip your finger in.

I made up one batch, a large one, and a buddy wanted a sample. I melted the mix in the microwave (like two minutes on high), and poured off some into another 35mm canister. When it got to room temp, the sample and the original were the same as before I melted. Might be a better way to actually mix than mixing with a popsicle stick.

Duke, are you using a 1 to 1 mixture?

Anhydrous is the pure stuff. It's thick, almost waxy. Think concentrated.
If you're making spray lube for resizing, you can use the watered down version with 99% isopropyl alcohol (read the label on gas line anti freeze. Don't use the methyl version. Use the 99% iso version) in a 1:5 ratio, and it's the same as Dillon Spray lube. I mix anhydrous and 99% ISO in a dollar store spray bottle for my case lube spray.

However, for making this swage lube, you want the concentrated waxy version, and you cannot get that locally. Randy Rat (see previous link) is the go-to guy for the anhydrous. Tell him DukeInMaine sent ya.

One question about Lanolin, why does it have to be anhydrous, containing no water?

MIBULLETS
09-22-2012, 08:43 AM

You don't want the extra water being left in your dies to cause rust is the biggest reason.

Lizard333
09-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Here, I go to my pharmacy and get both the lanolin and castor oil. One stop shopping.

DukeInFlorida
09-22-2012, 03:44 PM
The lanolin they had was thick and waxy? Or, the thin stuff that you can shake in a bottle? The thin stuff is not the right kind .

Here, I go to my pharmacy and get both the lanolin and castor oil. One stop shopping.

Lizard333
09-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Yep. Been using this lube for months.

M.A.D
09-22-2012, 09:24 PM
For 20 years ive used a blend of 500 gm Lanolin, 250 gm petroleum jelly and 100 ml of castor oil.. Works great on everything.....

DukeInFlorida
09-23-2012, 05:37 AM
Love it when you ask two questions, and get one "yep". . . . .

Yep. Been using this lube for months.

The lanolin they had was thick and waxy? Or, the thin stuff that you can shake in a bottle? The thin stuff is not the right kind .

Lizard333
09-23-2012, 07:42 AM
It's the the thick waxy stuff. I don't think you could use the liquid stuff with swaging. To thin.

fredj338
09-27-2012, 12:43 AM
Any thoughts on Imperial sizing wax? I like the idea of making my own, sounds simple enough.

DukeInFlorida
09-27-2012, 05:23 AM
Imperial sizing wax is excellent swaging lube. Just very expensive, compared to making my own (simply and cheaply).

For me, reloading is all about doing the reloading at the lowest possible cost. Making my own lubes is the way to that happiness for me.

fredj338
09-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Imperial sizing wax is excellent swaging lube. Just very expensive, compared to making my own (simply and cheaply).

For me, reloading is all about doing the reloading at the lowest possible cost. Making my own lubes is the way to that happiness for me.

Iagree, to a point. I like being self sufficient, one reason I ordered a set of dies from BT for the 223. Making lubes though, lot of hit or miss, time & money. I will try your recipe for swaging lube. I asked about the ISW because I have some I use for serious case forming.