PDA

View Full Version : How do they do that?

OverMax
09-19-2012, 04:37 PM
I was pondering some today. There are a couple excellent threads written on C/B about how one goes about making B/Powder. And many fellows here are very willing to share their knowledge filling in the blanks to help us all out. Which for a guy like me is much appreciated. Here's something I've wondered about as of late. How do the manufactures go about making substitute powders? Like {Pyrodex, Triple 777 and Blackhorn 209.} Are their recipes that much different in chemicals and procedures used to make Black Powder?
Any and all comments are welcome.

mooman76
09-19-2012, 08:18 PM
I don't know how they do it but it is different because the substitutes aren't as sensitive and can't be used in flintlocks. Also Blackhorn 209 isn't corrosive like the other substitutes, burns cleaned and doesn't have to be cleaned right away like the others.

Omnivore
09-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Yes; the chemistry is different. For one thing, they generate more energy with less mass, but I don't know what's in the subs. I think I see where you're going-- why don't we make our own subs?

I guess we'd have to bring in some good chemists, maybe tour a substitute powder factory.

Surely some member here must work for, or has worked for, Hogden or one of the others, though I wonder if they'd ever divulge a whole lot.

slim1836
09-19-2012, 08:46 PM
The man who invented Pyrodex killed himself (I believe) while demonstrating it. I don't think I would try it IMHO.

Slim

rmark
09-19-2012, 10:12 PM
The BP substitutes were invented to get around the fact that BP is explosive, while smokeless is a propellant with easier shipping and storage rules. The components for BP are safe to handle at home, some of the stuff in the substitutes may not be.

rmark
09-19-2012, 10:16 PM
A short article on BP and substitutes

http://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzleloading_babylon.htm

OverMax
09-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Hey rmark; I appreciate the contribution of that very interesting link you posted. That Sir, was a great read. Thank you,