PDA

View Full Version : Lee Hand Loader question

AZMark
05-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Will the Lee Hand Loader accept a bullet sizer?

klausg
05-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Mark,
If you're describing the hand press, (not too sure what Lee calls everything), then yes it will handle Lee sizing dies. It's not much fun, but I've done it many times; you kinda have to juggle with the plastic "boolit catcher" thingy a bit, but it's do-able.

-Klaus

trickyasafox
05-24-2007, 03:49 PM
nifty idea, lubing in front of the tv.

klausg
05-24-2007, 04:05 PM
tricky-
EXACTLY, how'd you guess?

-Klaus

Rick N Bama
05-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Isn't the Lee Hand Loader the tool you use with a Hammer?

trickyasafox
05-24-2007, 07:58 PM
just lucky i guess :) i prime cases for some rifle cartridges with a hand prime in front of the tv.

reloading may require your full concentration, but there are definately some mundane tasks that at least i know i would rather do in front of the idiot box ;)

rick n bama- no your thinking of the lee loader. they have a hand press that takes normal dies that you can use as well

Rick N Bama
05-24-2007, 09:10 PM
rick n bama- no your thinking of the lee loader. they have a hand press that takes normal dies that you can use as well

Gotcha, I've used a hand press while watching the tube as well.

Rick

floodgate
05-24-2007, 11:52 PM
Lee's current catalog calls the "clap your hands" press the "Lee Hand Press", and it takes the standard 7/8" x 14 tpi dies. The hammer-actuated tool was the original "Lee Loader"; it is now called "The Classic Lee Loader", and is still made for 20 of the commoner rifle and pistol cartridges. They used to make a pan-lubing kit that included a round aluminum pan with raised edges, a stick of lube, a "cookie cutter" and a sizing die and punch - you drove the bullet through the die with the same mallet used for the Lee Loader. The current "Lube and Sizing Kit" does the same thing, but upside-down, in any standard press. As with the Lyman / Idealtong tools, you can load excellent ammunition with anyof these basic tools - it just takes a bit more time.

floodgate

Lloyd Smale
05-25-2007, 06:40 AM
back before i had dillons I wore a couple of the lee handpress out sitting in front of a tv. There good little tools for the money and i still keep on on the bench and one at camp to load with.

Old Ironsights
05-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Isn't the Lee Hand Loader the tool you use with a Hammer?

Nope that's the Classic Lee Loader. It's self contained and uses no dies.

http://leeprecision.com/graphics/shoppingcart/leeloader.jpg

The Hand Press uses standard, interchangable reloading dies.

http://leeprecision.com/graphics/shoppingcart/hpk.jpg

Lloyd Smale
05-25-2007, 01:35 PM
they also make a nice little bench mounted version of about the same press. Its what i use for my lee sizers.

imashooter2
05-25-2007, 03:10 PM
they also make a nice little bench mounted version of about the same press. Its what i use for my lee sizers.

The Lee "Reloader" press... if you mount that press to a small chunk of plywood, you can clamp it to a card table and have an efficient system to lube or deprime in the comfort of your living room. I always thought the hand press was way too much of a juggling act.

Lee
05-25-2007, 11:20 PM
That's a good picture of the Lee Hand Press. But don't let your minds' eye fool you. Scale it to the dies and you discover the "little darling" is a "little monster".
It's a handfull or a lap full, no matter how you cut it. It sure isn't a pocket tool. It works, and imashooter2 is correct, it's a one man juggling act. Mine is safely hidden away, downstairs, tucked underneath a big pile of other reloading stuff, safe from prying eyes......................................Lee;)

Old Ironsights
05-26-2007, 01:24 PM
It is a little ungainly, but it fits easily on the top shelf of a large MTM Camo Marine Box - along with a pair of crecent wrenches.

http://tinyurl.com/328npr (link to cabelas)

2lbs powder in the bottom, plus brass, dies & bullets and appropriate LEE scoops (scale fits too...). Primers safely in the top compartment.

It becomes a complete reloading kit in essentially a .50cal ammo can. Perfect for working up loads at the range.

Old Ironsights
05-26-2007, 01:26 PM
The Lee "Reloader" press... if you mount that press to a small chunk of plywood, you can clamp it to a card table and have an efficient system to lube or deprime in the comfort of your living room. I always thought the hand press was way too much of a juggling act.

I prime with a hand-prime. Decapping/resizing with the hand press is fine.

I never try to do all 3 phases with the hand press at once though. When loading, I have previously sized & primed brass ready. Really cuts down on the "juggling".

SharpsShooter
05-26-2007, 06:06 PM
The Lee hand press is perfect to decap BPCR cases before you drop them in a jug of water at the range. Since I do not resize cases, I use a universal decapping die and it is a snap.

SS

Boz330
05-29-2007, 06:51 PM
The Lee hand press is perfect to decap BPCR cases before you drop them in a jug of water at the range. Since I do not resize cases, I use a universal decapping die and it is a snap.

SS

I have a set of the Lyman 310 tongs and it works really nice for that task and small as well.
If you want to reload in front of the TV it isn't as ungainly as the Lee hand press. The selection of dies is limited and it will only neck size but is a lot of reloading capability in a real small package if it is in a caliber that you want to reload.

Bob

TNsailorman
12-21-2007, 08:38 PM
I tried one of the Lyman "nutcracker" tools many years ago and in a short 1 hour session I came up with a sore hand from the pressure it took to load with that small tool. But, hey, maybe I just didn't know the proper way to use it. They sure would be handy at the range or if you ever had to pack you reloading supplies with you. I went on a hunting trip with a fellow several years ago(in the 80's) and while we were waiting to go into the field, he sat down, leaned back against a stump, pulled out a set of Lee case trimmers and a small battery powered screwdriver and proceed to trim and champher a small bag of .223 cases while he was waiting. Neat way to kill time.