PDA

View Full Version : How do you thin the mould handles?

FISH4BUGS
09-19-2012, 09:10 AM
I need to take an old set of H&G handles and thin them to .250" from the fatter handles so they will work on my 2 cavity #51 HP. This is the part that goes into the mould blocks.
If someone has a set they will sell, fine....or I will trade for one
But if not, how can I thin the handles to .250"? All I have is a vise and file - no lathes or fancy machines.
Just start and work slowly? Some other magic so I don't have to spend two days on this?
Many thanks
Donald

Jim
09-19-2012, 09:20 AM
I need to take an old set of H&G handles and thin them to .250" from the fatter handles so they will work on my 2 cavity #51 HP. This is the part that goes into the mould blocks.
If someone has a set they will sell, fine....or I will trade for one
But if not, how can I thin the handles to .250"? All I have is a vise and file - no lathes or fancy machines.
Just start and work slowly? Some other magic so I don't have to spend two days on this?
Many thanks
Donald

That's what I did. Redneck method? Yeah. Did it work? Yeah.

Alferd Packer
09-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Hello, my Nephew started a Machine Shop course of study in early August at a Trade School. I told him they would start him filing metal in a vise by hand. He is now using the basic Lathe and Milling Machines. I showed him your post. I have been working as a Mechanic/Electrician Construction Worker quite a while. We both said if you took those handles to a Machine Shop along with the Mold,that they'd probably remove the hinge pin or bolt, chuck the handles in a vise one at a time and draw file the ears that go into the mold groove till they had a loose fit. If they need a hole relocated or drilled, that would be determined and done also.All by hand. All that being said, you will gain an immense pride and a wealth of experience if you attempt to do this job yourself. Ten-twenty minutes filing on each ear and you'll have it done. Maybe go buy a new file. Get a 12 inch single cut coarse from Sears or a Hardware Store and get to work.I say this Humbly and with Respect for you.Really, if you are going to cast your own bullets, I think you can do this small job.You said you had a vise.Using a hacksaw to make some shallow grooves on the surface where you have to file will help too, but you must be careful not to cut too deep.Proceed carefully and keep stopping to check your progress.Remember once you remove the metal,and go too far, its another job to put it back(Requires welding). If I lived close to you I would show you how and you'd see how easy it is. I hope this helps.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/smilies/icon_razz.gifhttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

Alferd Packer
09-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi again, I forgot to mention that you have to file level straight across and make sure not to rock the file so the surface stays flat. Draw filing makes a smoooth surface. To draw file, you move the file in a 45 degree movement-filing diagonally across the surface, keeping the file level carefully during each stroke. Remember, don't rock the file from end to end or you'll make the piece high in the middle. You also have to file each stroke parallel to the surface or you'll make the piece high on one side and low on the other. Don't use any oil or lube to file or saw.Keep it dry. You need a single-cut file coarse to draw-file successfully. You can wear gloves, but I don't.Wear safety glasses too and don't get filings in your eyes.Never blow the filings off with your breath or a puff of air.The filings will double-back and get in your eyes every time. use a paper towel or a rag to brush away the filings.I wish you luck since this will give you confidence to make other homemade reloading tools as I have over the years,I'm 66 years old now. I apologize for this post if it in any way offends you or any one else.Thank you.

EdS
09-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Hey guys, it's not space science. The mold blocks are aligned by their pins. The handle fit does not need to be that precise. I've done a couple of handles with a nice large file. It only takes a few minutes. -Ed

a.squibload
09-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Someone here suggested before that you should only
file the bottom surfaces of the handles, keeping the
top surface where the mold sits nice & flat. Helps
maintain alignment of the mold halves.

H.Callahan
09-19-2012, 05:09 PM
I did it with a pair by mounting a hand belt sander upside down in a vise. Was careful to keep jaws flat on the belt. Took no time at all. (Safety equipment, as always, is advised!)

I'll Make Mine
09-19-2012, 10:06 PM
By the time you go to the effort of thinning the handle jaws significantly, it might be easier to cut and grind a pair of handles from a piece of quarter inch cold finish plate (look how the handles are made, it's pretty easy to replicate them) and add a pair of file handles (get 'em at older hardware stores) for your hand grip.

40Super
09-19-2012, 10:14 PM
I'm a machinist and work in a machine shop/ jobshop, I can honestly say they only thing I've had to draw file was in school(except a few things that only needed .001" or so off). But without a mill, draw filing is one of the only options you have, power sanding is another,but care has to be taken to keep things flat.
Warm up your arm muscles and get a sharp file(i'd use a double cut flat mill file to start, then switch to the single "bastard" grade file to finish).

FISH4BUGS
09-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Yes, as Jim said, the "redneck" method will just have to work. Go slow and carefully. Maybe I was just over thinking this whole thing.
And to Alfred Packer, there was not a molecule of anything you said that offended me in any way.Your thoughtful response is gratefully accepted. Everyone has some knowledge to contribute when people ask questions....even ones as simple and seemingly ignorant as mine.
Thanks again to all. I'll see what I have for files and of course, now I have an excuse to get some more!....more tools! YEAH!
Regards,
Donald

MBTcustom
09-20-2012, 10:01 AM
I've got a better idea. Why don't you buy a cheap set of Lee handles, send them to me along with the mold, and I will make sure that they fit the mold like they were born there?
Its a shame to go filing on a vintage set of mold handles, and I am skilled with both files and a milling machine and I have both of them at my disposal 24-7.
PM me

FISH4BUGS
09-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Well....the mould is very rare number one. It is a #51 dual cavity dual hollow point Hensley & Gibbs. TexasFlyBoy, the recognized world expert on H&G moulds (how's that Tom?) said that this is only the 2nd one he has ever seen, and he owns the other one. I paid stupid big money for it. I would hate to have it out of my sight for even a second.
But your offer is very kind. I would be happy to trade you something of value for the service. I would insure the thing for enough and pay the postage both ways.
Why don't you PM me and let's se if we can work out the details?

I've got a better idea. Why don't you buy a cheap set of Lee handles, send them to me along with the mold, and I will make sure that they fit the mold like they were born there?
Its a shame to go filing on a vintage set of mold handles, and I am skilled with both files and a milling machine and I have both of them at my disposal 24-7.
PM me

Jal5
09-21-2012, 01:47 AM
Tim is a great guy I am sure you fellows will work something out!