PDA

View Full Version : Lyman All-American Turret Press

DonMountain
09-18-2012, 08:38 PM
A friend of mine's father has an old Lyman All-American Turret reloading press for sale. I saw it a while back and it looked to be in pretty reasonable shape. They want $50 for it. What is everybody's opinion of this press? Is it better than my Hornady 00-7 single stage press? I think the Lyman has 5 or 6 stations on it and thats the reason I would buy it. One of the stations has a screw out adapter on it with larger threads under it. What was that station for? :coffee:

Mike W1
09-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Mine has 4 station holes, one of them the larger one you mention. Mine came with a set of 16 gauge shotshell dies which I've never used. Great press but I didn't care much for their priming system. I'd sure buy it if I were you!

Mooseman
09-18-2012, 09:29 PM
I have been using a 6 station all small hole Lyman Turret for 35 years and it does just what I want it to. If you buy it and dont want it, let me know, for 50 bucks it is a deal.
Rich

LUCKYDAWG13
09-18-2012, 09:34 PM
for $50. bucks i would buy it but you may need to get the J to X shell holder
for it no big deal if you do. i have two of the Lyman S/T turret presses i have them
set up for 9mm 357 & 44 mag. my Lyman comet single stage press was made in
1957 works like a champ. and i use them a lot. and so did my Dad

Ben
09-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Mine isn't for sale ! !

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=101557&highlight=American

SlimTim
09-18-2012, 10:13 PM
I followed them on epay for a couple of months a while back, they seemed to mostly go for $80-$120. I think they are pretty neat, and $50 seems like a deal. If it were $100, I'd rather have a used Rockchucker, but since it's half of that, I wouldn't hesitate.

SlimTim

Catsmith
09-18-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm diggin mine. Been loading 9&38 on it and really like it. I may have to repaint mine after seeing ben's!

BruceB
09-18-2012, 11:52 PM
[QUOTE=SlimTim; I'd rather have a used Rockchucker,

SlimTim[/QUOTE]

I have both an All American and a Rockchucker. The AA is bolted to my bench, while the RC sits (neglected) on a shelf. It hasn't loaded a cartridge in at least ten years, and maybe fifteen. The AA was bought in 1967 and served well ever since.

Very different machines, but I find the AA does almost everything I need.... and at a higher rate of production. For certain specific functions, I do use the RC, but not for actual loading of ammunition.

Green Frog
09-19-2012, 11:20 AM
I paid $50 for my All American about 15 years or more ago... it came with a 16 ga shotshell loading set (partial) and lacked the adaptor ring you have in yours. I'd much rather have gotten the ring! J-type shell holders may be a bit of a challenge, but Lyman still catalogs the adaptor to standard type if you know where to look. You will also need the "Special-T" primer punches (lg & sm)if you prime on press. As somebody already suggested, buy it and resell at a profit if you don't like it. That's what I would do. :D

Froggie

dragonrider
09-19-2012, 12:16 PM
If it is not on your bench now, you are wasting time, go get it. It is a great press, I would not be without mine.