PDA

View Full Version : respirator-?

jetsfan-24
09-18-2012, 07:20 PM
hey guys i just started smelting lead not to long ago and i was wondering should i wear a respirator to smelt lead out doors ?

500MAG
09-18-2012, 07:22 PM
I still wear an MSA respirator while I am pouring th ingots or close to the smelt.

R.M.
09-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Outdoors, no, I don't think there's a need. Just stay up-wind.

bslim
09-18-2012, 10:00 PM
It does no harm to wear one and your health is much more important than the lead you are smelting.

plainsman456
09-18-2012, 10:34 PM
If you are worried just use a small fan.

evan price
09-19-2012, 05:52 AM
I use an MSA toxic dust respirator. Some of the things mixed in the scrap lead might not be healthy to inhale. I'd rather pay $20 for a respirator than risk my lungs. It did cure me of having black boogers after long smelting sessions so I'd say it's worth doing.

500MAG
09-19-2012, 06:05 AM
On my first post, I didn't notice you were a "Jetfan". Therefore, no respirator is needed. LOL!
GO FINS!!!

bobthenailer
09-19-2012, 08:44 AM
I smelt only outdoors with a 20" fan blowing at all times! so i have never used a resperator when smelting and ive smelted a quite a few tons of WW and assorted alloys over the years! with no ill effect

Jim
09-19-2012, 08:56 AM
I just got done smelting a tad over 8,000 lbs of range scrap in 7 months. I had two 8 qt. pots leap frogging at just about any given time. The set-up was under a car port with no sides. I never wore a respirator, but I didn't hang around the pots, either. I had a small timer set and didn't go anywhere near the pots until the timer went off. I was busy doing something else.

fecmech
09-19-2012, 10:00 AM
I don't think a respirator would be a requirement for outdoor smelting but it sure wouldn't hurt. Where I smelt in front of the garage the smoke can chase me around due to the shifting air currents. I've got 2 buckets of wts to smelt this fall and I'm going to wear the respirator when I do.

mold maker
09-19-2012, 10:34 AM
A respirator can't hurt, but most won't filter out anything but particulate. The fumes from organic matter (trash) etc will pass most filters.
Common sense will dictate that you stay out of the smoke and dust involved. After over 50 years of smelting, my lead level is "2" and the accepted level is <20.

lwknight
09-19-2012, 07:24 PM
The greatest part of lead poison is from ingestion rather than inhalation.
Lead has a thin layer of oxide on the surface that readily rubs off on your hands and can find its way into your system if you do not use common sense.
Simple rules like do not smoke , dip or eat with dirty hands will eliminate 90% of the hazards.
Lead does not make any appreciable vapors in itself but other junk could carry some lead molecules so just stay out of the smoke and use good ventilation.

jetsfan-24
09-19-2012, 09:48 PM
now thats not nice 500 mag i was even going 2 say a prayer for miami lol

Defcon-One
09-19-2012, 11:03 PM
A respirator can't hurt, but most won't filter out anything but particulate. The fumes from organic matter (trash) etc will pass most filters.
Common sense will dictate that you stay out of the smoke and dust involved. After over 50 years of smelting, my lead level is "2" and the accepted level is <20.

I agree with everything he said!

I have done my share of smelting over the years, my numbers match his at 2 to 2.5. I have never taken this precaution.

I think that most respirators will not filter out what you are worried about. You may stay closer to the pot longer because you think that you are protected when you aren't. Better make sure that you get the right filter if your gonna do it!

jcwit
09-19-2012, 11:12 PM
In my 40/50 years of cooking lead and casting I have never worn a respirator. I even cast indoors. Lead does not creat vapors of any consequense till you get the melt to 1,100 degrees, and even then the vapors to not go up into the air but travel to the floor.

If you feel safer wearing one, go ahead, but in my mind its a waste of time.

BTW my heavy metal tests come back VERY low, lead numbers 4 to 6.

**oneshot**
09-20-2012, 09:07 PM
I do my smelting outdoors and set myself up for a cross breeze.

Casting is done in my shed with an exhaust fan and the windows open for lots of ventilation.

captaint
09-21-2012, 10:48 AM
I tried smelting WW's outside once with no respirator. The wind was shifting and I guess I inhaled some fumes from the junk on the WW's. I felt really sick in a few minutes after everything melted. After I puked I felt OK again. I never smelt without the respirator anymore. enjoy Mike

mac1911
09-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Same here......even though I stay clear until need be. I to get a ill feeling when smelting with out a resporator.
This is dureing the melt down clip removal and fluxing.....if I melt down clean ignots I don't get the ill feeling.
Nor when casting.......so yes a resporator can help.....my 3m filter listed particle and fumes....

Beagle333
09-23-2012, 11:10 AM
I called 3M and asked, and they recommended the one with the 7093 filter (the purple one), which costs $24± at my local Home Depot, for smelting/casting outdoors. They said I'd want the red one ($37±, 'forgot the number) for casting indoors.... but they could have just as easily sold me the more expensive one and said I didn't need that much for outside.
I'm pretty sensitive to smoke and dust of any kind and something was bothering me when I was working around a hot pot (no idea what it was, prolly not the lead itself) but I am going to use my mask from now on. :mrgreen:

Replacement filters for the 7093 cost about 4 bucks each from Amazon (in a 12 pack). No idea how long they last. 3M said when I can't breathe through it anymore, it's time to change it.

When properly fitted the 3M 7093 P100 Filter can be used in a variety of applications including welding, brazing, torch cutting, metal pouring, soldering, and exposure to lead, asbestos, cadmium, arsenic, and MDA for concentrations up to 10 times the Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL) with half facepieces.

Of course.... this is my experience with it. YMMV. :drinks:

HARRYMPOPE
09-23-2012, 11:56 AM
In my 40/50 years of cooking lead and casting I have never worn a respirator. I even cast indoors. Lead does not creat vapors of any consequense till you get the melt to 1,100 degrees, and even then the vapors to not go up into the air but travel to the floor.

If you feel safer wearing one, go ahead, but in my mind its a waste of time.

BTW my heavy metal tests come back VERY low, lead numbers 4 to 6.

Me too.The only two people i knew that had really high counts worked in indoor shooting ranges with poor ventilation

George

captaint
09-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Oh, I just got my results of my last blood work. My lead number is 7. That's pretty doggone good. Once upon a time, my number was 20. I've been more careful since then and I shoot indoors a lot less than I used to. enjoy Mike