PDA

View Full Version : Digital scale question

toooldtocare
09-18-2012, 07:17 PM
I see digital scales on ebay in the reloading section. They are around twenty bucks and measure in grains. Would they be any good? Yes I know im cheap. I just cant afford the name brands right now. Yes I know ya get what ya pay for.

09-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Some things I experienced with a more expensive battery operated electronic scale.
1. Its operation and performance can be affected by flourescent lights.
2. It reacts very slowly to powder trickling.
3. The zero wanders.
4. The auto-shut-off feature is very annoying and inconvenient.
5. Batteries need replacing. And, yes, once, it happened while in the midst of a reloading session.

Since gravity is predictable and reliable, and doesn't require batteries or electricity, I measure powder with a balance beam scale, and the electronic scale is only used to weigh boolits -- a use in which its nuances matter not.

Again, just my experience.

GRUMPA
09-18-2012, 09:15 PM
If you think your cheap we just gotta meet up some day. I've inquired about those in the past and was told by the very knowledgable folks here on this site to save and get the good ones. By that I'm sorry to say those are the higher dollar versions of what your looking at (and me) that need to be saved up for. Your going to see people chiming in with the "I've had this $30 unit work wonders for years without so much as a hic-up" type thing. I also do swaging and weigh things out (I'm very fussy) on a constant basis and they all pretty much said the same thing " you buy cheap that's what your going to get", take that advise for what it's worth, and I'm still saving my pennies but that piggy bank doesn't seem to be getting any heavier.

toooldtocare
09-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks. I will save up for it then. I did see some used expensive one on ebay. If I do buy used is there a way to make the calibration is good? Its a chargemaster 1500.

rda72927
09-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Leaving the brand name out, I had one of those $30 scales. Took me a while to figure out that the little machine weighted everything in grams and then converted to grains. Which the cheap digital calc had a rounding error on small weights. I gave it away to someone I didn't like.

keyhole
09-18-2012, 11:39 PM
I have a RCBS electronic scale which I bought new a few years ago. Its predecessor was a mechanical balance scale which worked fine, just a little slow compared to electronic. The electronic scale was not a cheapie but has not exhibited any of the problems listed above by board member 462. I guess my advice is to wait until you can afford a name brand with good customer support.

jcwit
09-18-2012, 11:47 PM
My $39.00 scale from E-Bay has worked just fine for years now. You can either believe my or not, makes me no difference. You may save up and spend $500.00 for a scale or rush out and buy a $50.00 scale. More than likely both will weigh objects or powder or whatever. However YMMV

ERADICATOR
01-04-2014, 09:33 PM
I spent $40 and $140 on electronics both do not give the same weight of an item every time. to much fluctuation. I'm now using a beam. Any suggestions?

jmort
01-04-2014, 09:39 PM
I use and like this and it works like a champ:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/BPI-BallistiScale-1500-Digital-Scale/productinfo/6880300/

John Boy
01-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks. I will save up for it then.
Save your money ... http://dx.com/p/1-7-lcd-high-precision-digital-jewelry-scale-50g-0-001g-4-x-aaa-101011

DougGuy
01-04-2014, 09:56 PM
I got the MTM from Titan Reloading, only issue I have had with it is air movement in the room. It does not like fans or AC blowing. Other than that, it's consistent and that's what matters most.

keyhole
01-04-2014, 10:20 PM
If you're not sure which device is correct, get one of these check weight sets. It's not a bad idea to periodically verify that whatever scale or balance you are using is correct.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/493216/rcbs-standard-scale-check-weights-605-grains

wistlepig1
01-05-2014, 12:46 AM
I got one from Midway, it was a ***. It bounced all over, and I hated the turn off thing, you are half way thru loading and it would shut down. Maybe others work well but the one I got was bounced off the brick wall. If you get one I hope it works better for you. My2cents

AlaskanGuy
01-05-2014, 02:45 AM
I got a small digital scale for christmas, and i am in love... I use it to double check powder weights, and it has no equal in weighing boolits... Fast and easy to weight sort.... Used to take me forever to weight sort.... The little thing has its own spot on the bench, right next to an ohaus beam scale....

AG