PDA

View Full Version : Unusual question: is there a bbl that can be modified as per the drawing attached?

Tokarev
09-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Attached is the blueprint of the blank and barrel for TT-33 pistol (all measurements in metric).
What I am looking for is a commercially available barrel in 9mm Luger that this one can be made of.
I have one TT made in China in 9mm that shoots pretty well and the idea is to have a few more barrels for my other TT guns.
Of course the whole guns can be had for about $150, so the cost of buying and altering a barrel should be under $100 to justify the project.

Artful
09-18-2012, 08:25 PM
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Search.aspx?catid=0&filter=730840
sold out currently but call and see if they plan to restock...

don't know about this one but might be worth checking on
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496916

I'd keep an eye on ebay and other auction sites - it will be cheaper I think.

Tokarev
09-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I know that Numrich is out of stock on those.

akajun
09-19-2012, 09:04 PM
I think your best bet is to either find a junk tt barrel and someone who will "stub it out", or find a 9mm 1911 barrel and weld and grind it to proper shape.
Either way, unless you got a friend with a serious machine shop, your not going to do it for $100

MBTcustom
09-20-2012, 04:14 PM
I think your best bet is to either find a junk tt barrel and someone who will "stub it out", or find a 9mm 1911 barrel and weld and grind it to proper shape.
Either way, unless you got a friend with a serious machine shop, your not going to do it for $100

......A friend that has a serious machineshop just setting idle, and about 10 hours of spare time that he will trade for a beer.
Honestly, I dont see it happening, but I dont know how many friends you donated a kidney to:kidding:
But, if you did, here is a barrel that should work for the project for $50
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/barrelblanksround/175-round-rifle-barrel-blanks/762-x-51mm-raw-round-rifle-barrel-blank
Good luck!
Let me know what you do with the extra length of barrel. I might be interested in buying it from you.

Tokarev
09-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Sorry, goodsteel, I have a growing feeling that you are spamming these forums with unhelpful remarks with a sole purpose of advertising your new gunsmithing business. You would get somewhere if you stopped being such a jerk.

Obvious things occur to me too and I have a capacity to make this barrel out of a blank. I even know where to get a blank with large enough o/s diameter. Now, chiao!

Jim
09-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Sorry, goodsteel, I have a growing feeling that you are spamming these forums with unhelpful remarks with a sole purpose of advertising your new gunsmithing business. You would get somewhere if you stopped being such a jerk.Obvious things occur to me too and I have a capacity to make this barrel out of a blank. I even know where to get a blank with large enough o/s diameter. Now, chiao!

I'm not a moderator, but I WILL remind you that name calling is not acceptable behavior here. Knock it off.

MBTcustom
09-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Whoa! Tokarev, your taking me wrong! I meant no offence of any kind.
I was trying to say (in a colorful way) that it's going to take a lot of work, show you where the cheapest barrel I know of is to be found, and since you are not going to need the full length for the job you are considering, I was offering to help you recoup some of the cost by buying it from you.
What's wrong with that?
Spamming the forum huh? I don't know what that is, but I'm only trying to help folks get where they are going without blowing themselves up or getting hurt.
Promoting my business? Well, this is the USA, and I always thought that was a good thing. I mean dad gum, if you started a business making leather products, and your favorite forum in the world had a section dedicated to that subject, what would you do?
I sincerely apologize for offending you in this thread, but if you don't like my comments on the forum, feel free to PM me and straiten me out in private. Several others have, I can assure you, and I try to listen.

Casting Timmy
09-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Stupid question, coudl you machine it out of a 4140 and just put a liner in it? I think there are one or two people here that can cut rifling, maybe they can rifle an oversize blank for you?

The blank would have to have even walls to be rifled right....you coudl also read Vickery's Advanced gunsmithing and a couple of the other older gunsmith books to see how to use your existing barrel to thread another barrel.

I'll Make Mine
09-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Sorry, goodsteel, I have a growing feeling that you are spamming these forums with unhelpful remarks with a sole purpose of advertising your new gunsmithing business.

Sorry, Tokarev, but I know just about enough about machining to agree with Goodsteel, at least on this one -- you'd be ahead to mill that barrel out of a Green Mountain blank (which, BTW, for $50 could be cut to give you three or four tries, and he offered to consider buying the leftover if/when you finish) over trying to modify an existing barrel from another pistol. I know this one is beyond the tooling I have (small lathe, no milling machine); my lathe is big enough, but without a mill, I'd be reduced to filing or grinding to turn circular bits into lugs and link points. It'd be forty or fifty hours of hand work, or a high probability of ruining the partially machined barrel with a slip of the grinder.

Actually, here (http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/barrelblanksround/175-round-rifle-barrel-blanks/9mm-gunsmith-edition-raw-barrel-blank,-17-x-1) is a barrel that would give you two or three tries, for a third less.

robertbank
09-20-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm not a moderator, but I WILL remind you that name calling is not acceptable behavior here. Knock it off.

Using bold type is considered yelling and is not in keeping with our gentile atmosphere we prefer here. If someone is acting like a jerk then perhaps the person is a jerk, opinions sometimes differ as to the definition. Enough said I think.

Take Care

Bob

ps I have been advise Jim you have a sight problem and you have to bold your type to effectively read your post. Ok with me but you might want to add something to your signature line to indicate same.

MBTcustom
09-20-2012, 11:34 PM
I dont mean to pick a fight or open up a can of worms, but you basically agreed with tokarev that I was being a jerk and I want to know why?
I honestly thought I was being very generous by showing him where to buy a cheap barrel, and offering to buy the remainder from him. He would probably only be out $15 when all was said and done. Yeah I made a wise crack, but I thought that when a comment is followed by one of these :kidding:
it means the guy just made a joke and is not to be taken to heart. No? Thats the way I meant it.
Did I inadvertently say something to offend your country?
Again, and with all due respect, I'm not trying to start a fight here, and I'm willing to admit it if I am in the wrong, but this stinks to high heaven.
You are actually going to bust out a member of the forum for making a joke and offering to help someone?!?!
This aint the same place anymore.

swheeler
09-20-2012, 11:42 PM
"This aint the same place anymore" Boy you ain't just a kiddin'

waksupi
09-21-2012, 12:29 AM
I'm not sure I understand it, either.

robertbank
09-21-2012, 12:58 AM
Tim I am ambivalent. One fellow decides you were being a jerk. Well I don't know if you were or you wern't but I do know someone expressed you were and from my view, that is his opinion freely expressed. If you were learn from it, if you weren't ignore it or take it up with Tokerov by PM but I don't see claiming you are or aren't is insulting and when someone, not you,, starts bolding type and enlarging it such a response is over the top, hence my post.

Now back to building a barrel for a $175 pistol.

Take Care

Bob

Ps I did see your post as being a bit sarcastic and I think I might have responded with a sharp stick as well.

Tokarev
09-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Stupid question, coudl you machine it out of a 4140 and just put a liner in it? I think there are one or two people here that can cut rifling, maybe they can rifle an oversize blank for you?

Not a stupid question by any means.

Sleeving is a good idea. I thought of that before, but small amount of metal under the "36.5" dimension line on the left spooked me. There would be a tad less than 0.055" of a bushing over a chamber with less than 0.072" of a chamber wall. If that is enough for 9mm I don't know.

I know there are wizard gunsmiths here who could rifle a blank for me, one who comes to mind right away is John Taylor, however being in Canada am SOL because shipping a barrel out of the US is prohibitively difficult. That reduces my options to sleeving or modifying an existing pistol barrel.

The idea is to make an extended barrel, not just replicate one sold by Norinco. If I wanted another 9mm Norinco Tokarev, I would have bought a handful of them.

I have a barrel that can be used for sleeving - that's 9mm Beretta CX4 Storm carbine barrel. It's chrome plated and I am wondering if it can be cut w/o chipping chrome. Perhaps should I cut with a diamond wheel instead of a saw?

MBTcustom
09-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Obvious things occur to me too and I have a capacity to make this barrel out of a blank.
I assume from this post that you have a lathe? If you have a little touch, you can use a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel while the barrel is spinning in the lathe to cut it off very cleanly and grind in lug grooves etc.
I have a Craftsman all-in-one tool (souped up Dremel tool) with a flex wand. I have used my lathe like a tool post grinder before by mounting the end of the flex wand in one of the tool holders. You could try to use the same technique to render the lug grooves in a blank, or your PX4 storm barrel. It's as accurate as your lathe is, you can control it fairly well, and you will have no fear of ruining the chrome lining in your barrel.
If you use a sharpy marker to draw degree marks on the headstock of your lathe and use the chuck key (or something similar) to see the exact angles you are getting, you can also use it to flute cutters and such.
.................................................. .........Disclaimer:.............................. .............................
(I mean no offense to anyone by posting the above information for all to read. Its not the only way, but it is a way that may work for you.
It is not intended as a way to promote any business that I may or may not own or work for.
If I offer you a part for a project that you are working on at a fraction of the cost of buying it new, it is not intended to be spam or malicious in any way except to my own profit margins that would benefit more from me leaving you to your own devices and getting back to work.)

nanuk
09-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Sorry, goodsteel, I have a growing feeling that you are spamming these forums with unhelpful remarks with a sole purpose of advertising your new gunsmithing business. You would get somewhere if you stopped being such a jerk.

Obvious things occur to me too and I have a capacity to make this barrel out of a blank. I even know where to get a blank with large enough o/s diameter. Now, chiao!

I don't get it...

Goodsteel wasn't offering to do this for you, or even suggesting he could do it for you...

What am I missing?

waksupi
09-29-2012, 12:02 AM
I don't get it...

Goodsteel wasn't offering to do this for you, or even suggesting he could do it for you...

What am I missing?
I would tell you, but I would have to give myself an infraction. It is just an example of an ungrateful person.

MBTcustom
09-29-2012, 12:55 AM
Ya know, I kinda feel like a kid that got his lunch money taken away, and the cop who watched the whole thing happen gave the bad kid a doughnut.
I guess its OK to say all kinds of disparaging things about a persons character and intentions as long as you don't use bold type?
Some folks have a little too much green under their handle.
I apologized like a man in public forum for any wrongdoing that I may have done, but neither one of these two has the stones to offer me the same courtesy even by PM.
I suppose bravery, humility, honesty, politeness, truth, and fairplay are not things that these two hold in very high regard.
So, there you have an affront to someones character.
I used no bold type.
Ordinarily, I would expect an infraction for spewing such slander, but apparently that is no longer an offence is it?
I just don't understand. I love the site, I try to give good advice, I have no problem with anyone and generally consider a member here to be on my "good buddy" list. That is how I operate. I do not want or need enemies and so far, in my personal life as well as online, I have hardly any. Being that is my mode of operations, I maintain a small semblance of respect, if not as a person, as a craftsman.
Given that is my honest MO, what the heck did I ever do to deserve the remarks and accusations made here?
I may be wrong on occasion, but I am big enough to admit it, and I am right often enough to say that I am not a waste of oxygen. I contribute a lot to folks here in time, money, boolits, machinework, and expertise. I never thought I would be called a "jerk" here.

Tokarev
09-29-2012, 08:44 PM
I would tell you, but I would have to give myself an infraction. It is just an example of an ungrateful person.

Your position is understandable. Count me ungrateful if you wish. You have not done the math on the drawing attached to the OP, just as goodsteel has not. The blank that would be required to manufacture this barrel needed to be 1.5" in OD. The blank that he suggested is 1.25" OD. If he thinks that after 5 years on this forum alone it does not occur to me that a barrel can be made from a blank, he needs to give his head a big shake. I too can be in every thread suggesting that things can be made from scratch from a chunk of metal - would it be helpful to anyone?

MBTcustom
09-29-2012, 09:34 PM
I did the math, and it would actually have to be 1.653 in diameter if you were to make it from a solid blank.
I know how to make it from the very blank that I showed you.

What did I ever do to you Tokarev?

waksupi
09-30-2012, 01:00 AM
Tokarev needs to stick to metric measurement, apparently. There are some rude people on here lately. They may need to go elsewhere. We HAVE been trying to clean up the board.

Tokarev
09-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Tokarev needs to stick to metric measurement, apparently. There are some rude people on here lately. They may need to go elsewhere. We HAVE been trying to clean up the board.

Not sure I follow. Didn't I mention that all measurements on the blueprint were in metric?

Okay, I did not want to go that far and mention that, but it came to that.

I said in the OP that I am looking for a 9 mil barrel, but he suggested to use a 308 blank. If that qualifies as helpful, I don't know what to think. Perhaps my logic is incompatible with this forum's members and I really should not be asking questions here.

MBTcustom
09-30-2012, 09:39 AM
First of all, it seems you have two different prints. One appears to be for a forging and the other is for a finished barrel. I admit that I took the measurements from the forging, and indeed if you take the measurements from the barrel itself, it is true that it would fit in a 1.5" diameter blank, you were right, my math was wrong. Also, they sell a 358 barrel blank for the same cost and I posted the wrong one.
Here, is this better?
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/barrelblanksround/175-round-rifle-barrel-blanks/9mm-heavy-blank-175-x-125-4140-110
Now, you made a preposterous request in your OP. I dont care if you make this out of a blank, or if you alter a factory barrel. You are looking at major modifications and machine time. I merely thought that if you had the capability to do what you were suggesting, you might want to just cut to the chase and build it from a blank. Its not the only way to do it, but its a way that might work. I was more concerned with the regulation you put on cost, and I figured that would be your biggest hurtle so I figured that I would offer to get you a blank for low money.
I don't know what equipment you have available to you. If you don't have the equipment, maybe you should focus on getting your capabilities lined up with your eye for modification?
If you are going to get offended by advice from people that have the right tools for the job and make a living with the expert use of those tools, I suppose you are in the wrong place.
Why not just politely mention that you are trying to do all of this in your basement with a file and a hand drill? I was operating under the assumption that you had access to some the tools of the trade by your comments in post #6 and other places on the forum. My mistake, it wont happen again.
Why roller-skate uphill, and cuss at the cars?
Irregardless, I was trying to help you, and you called me a jerk and insulted my character. You are a coward for saying something like that from so far away, and you are an even bigger coward for not apologizing for your mistake when you were called on it.
There are several reputations that have been made solid in this thread, and I am happy with how I have presented myself.

MBTcustom
09-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Just for the record, Tokarev offended me a little bit, and I resent his remarks, but what really chaps my hide is the comments made by Robertbank.
That was a bad call, and you should be man enough to admit when you make a mistake, and humble enough to see it in the first place. I don't mean to say that you do a lousy job as a moderator, far from it, but you guys are held to a higher standard than the rest of us, and your comments (both here and in our PM conversation) are not on par with the seriousness of your station.
You have given cast boolits a black eye, and stained the reputation of your station. The least you could do is apologize in public like a man.
We depend on you moderators to keep the sight clean, and make good, unbiased judgment calls, while being above reproach as you go. You have a lot of power, and it should not be thrown around so flippantly. Like I said in my PM to you Robertbank, I had already apologized and diffused the situation before you came in and busted on Jim for typing in bold, and you needed only to make your presents known and let us rest our eyes on your title for a moment or two as you commented on the original subject of discussion.
There was no need to get your bullet out of your pocket.

MBTcustom
09-30-2012, 08:13 PM
I sent Robertbank this:

(I appreciate that you are trying to clean up a mess that I had already handled pretty well, so I thought I would say this in private so as to preserve piece in the forum.)

You made a bad call. Read some of Jims other posts.
He always types in bold! You are very handily in one stroke offending good members left and right, and Jim is one who is loved by everybody.
He is near sighted! He can't read what he is writing if he doesn't blow it up, and he does that on every single post he makes!
You should at least apologize to him in PM

Why did you get involved in the first place? It was not needed. I had apologized and controlled the conversation well, and moved it back on course. In a situation like that, all that was needed from you was a "high how ya doing" to let folks know you are watching.
Or just comment on the original subject. That moderator flag is like a badge, it does a lot of talking all by itself just like a blue bank of lights on top of an otherwise normal white car.
Take care.
and he responded with this:

While I appreciate your concern consider this. Jim did not bold his entire reply, nor increase the size of his type for the entire reply. He was yelling and that is unacceptable, period.

Now as to whether you are a jerk or not is, as you know, in the eyes of the beholder. I read yor reply and I think the assumption, is over the top. If your sarcasm had been directed at me I might have responded with a pointy stick but to call you a jerk...no I don't think so. I believe you meant well. The sarcasm, well you wrote it.

Take Care

Bob

Dang right I feel slighted!!!!!!!!

leftiye
10-01-2012, 06:44 AM
Somebody's cleaner misfired and got Jim. Jim was upset with Tokarev for calling Goodsteel a Yerk for no good reason and so forth. I was upset with Tokarev too. Just goes to show that moderators are fallible too. All caps are used for emphasis. I wasn't aware that we equated them with yelling and that using caps was an infraction. I agree with cleaning up the board, but I hope the aim is better than this.