PDA

View Full Version : Good pinto bean receipes

crabo
09-18-2012, 12:19 AM
Do you have any good ones?

OneSkinnyMass
09-18-2012, 12:54 AM
The great debate continues "To Soak or Not To Soak" :groner:

If I'm making just pinto's I don't soak, just sort, wash, boil for 5 mins and let set for about an hour then simmer for a couple hours until tender.

If I'm making a bean soup I'll soak, rinse and repeat overnight using cold water. Then simmer for about 3 hours til tender.

Add a couple sliced hocks or ham bones (butchers saw them so ya have to clean the bone fragments off) makes beans taste even better.

Skinny

Bodydoc447
09-19-2012, 10:36 AM
I don't pre soak, but I use a pressure cooker for 90 minutes and the beans are just fine.

Doc

Bodydoc447
09-19-2012, 10:38 AM
To add some further information...I like a hamhock and a chopped onion in mine along with a generous amount of white pepper, cumin, a pinch of oregano and I salt them after they are cooked.

Doc

Char-Gar
09-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Border Beans

Wash 1 lb of pinto beans

Place beans in crock pot and cover with water

Add:
1/2 lb. of chopped bacon
1 chopped onion
1/2 tsp garlic
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1/2 deseeded and chopped jalepeno
a bit of salt

Add these to crock pot and again cover with water plus about 1/2 inch.
Turn crock pot on high for a couple of hours and just before going to bed turn on low and check water level making certain the beans are covered.

Cook all night and eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Dale in Louisiana
09-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Here's my version of Louisiana Red Beans & Rice. (mostlycajun.com/wordpress/?p=51)

If you just want the beans, then don't cook the rice.

dale in Louisiana

gbrown
09-19-2012, 04:47 PM
I was raised on beans and rice. We weren't poor, by any means, but it was just a family staple. Beans, seasoned with sausage or ham or bacon, lots of garlic over a big bowl of rice. Served with greens (didn't matter what kind) and a big iron skillet of cornbread. Still one of my favorite meals. We never soaked beans. Ours were just a tender as any I have ever had. The cornbread had more of a consistency of cake, not too crumbly. For me, for dessert, it was another wedge of cornbread with lots of butter and some good syrup. My dad and I always liked raw onion with the greens. The only beans I don't eat rice with are baby limas and butter beans. I won't give a specific recipe here, as you boil beans--whatever seasonings/spices you add for flavor is whatever your taste is. To me, beans is beans.

GLL
09-19-2012, 05:03 PM
My mother was born in Dalhart and my father born and raised on the Brazos River in Hood County, Texas. As long as I can remember Mom cooked pinto beans and ham bone EVERY Friday night. That was my Friday meal until I graduated high school and left home for college. Side dish of fresh spinach with Trappy's pepper sauce and a big pan of corn bread always accompanied the beans. Apricot or berry cobbler for dessert. EVERY Friday night was the very same great treat ! My father died at 90 and he always had the same Friday meal his entire life as well ! Mom passed away at 92. Sure do miss them both. I still day dream about her chicken fried steak ! Man I am hungry ! :)

Jerry

Roosters
09-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Cut a chunk of streaked meat or smoked bacon and put in the pot add salt and pepper. Wash 2 lbs dried pinto beans pick out bad ones. Add those to the pot cover with about 3 inches of water. Bring to a boil for about 30 min. then lower to a simmer, after about 1 hour taste the juice to see if it needs any more seasoning . Keep a check on the water and don’t let them boil dry. Stir occasionally (and have wife start a pan of cornbread and cut up a onion for later) The juice will start to thicken if you stir more frequently towards the end of the cooking. All toll it should take about 3 ½ to 4 hours. And Mr. that is some slow cooked southern pinto beans. Crock Pot beans are too watery and I never soak pintos I want the full effect!! No company that night unless it is in-laws. :shock:

Beans beans good for your heart .The more you eat the more you #### well you know the rest !!!!

1Shirt
09-19-2012, 08:51 PM
My favorite: About 2 lbs. of pork cheeks, cut into 1" strips, browned slightly, 2 large Vidalia onions, just quartered, big crock pot, enough pintos to fill half the crock pot, water to the top, little salt, little red pepper, goodly amount of garlic powder. Put the crock pot on low overnight, add water if necessary for pintos to absorbe. Let stand in the a.m. crockpot off. Turn the crockpot on high mid afternoon. Fix a good batch of corn bread and you have a whale of a supper!
1Shirt!:coffeecom