PDA

View Full Version : My pan lubing

odis
09-17-2012, 11:10 PM
The last couple of days I have been pan lubing for the first time. I have soaking up info on this site like a sponge for the last 4 years. For a pan I used a film reel pan made by eastman kodak years ago. Its great even has the tight fitting metal lid swo I can store it with the lube and not worry about dust. I started by setting up 95 .313 sized boolits from the Lee 312-185R mold in the pan and slowlly poured a lb of melted carnauba red in and let it set, I made a cutter out of a fired 765 Argie case with a large fender washer solder to the base, after setting up till it was all msolid I cut away and wow they look great, I filled the hole with another batch and put it in the oven at 210 kept an eye on it and after the lube melted shut off the oven and let it set up till I could take it out with out the boolits tipping over. I can see why someone would buy a Star press but since I'm going to retire next year I will have more time on my hand and this will work great for my rifles. I want to put in a pitch for the Perfessors push through kit, I'm really happy with the results, My LAMII was really making a mess of the rifle boolits and the push through and pan lubing is really working out for me so far. I just had to crow about it.

I'll Make Mine
09-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Good to hear. I'll be pan lubing and pushing through, also, when I get set up to cast (later this year or early next year, when the budget permits). Further, I'll be making my own push-through sizer(s) -- I've got a lathe and some 7/8-14 threaded rod, so easier to make it than find more money to buy it...

MtGun44
09-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Fairly slow system, but cheap as heck and works really well. I'd recommend it
over mule snot any time.

Bill

cajun shooter
10-04-2012, 08:05 AM
Pan lubing can be and is alot of fun if one has the correct tools. I've been using the Star since 1970 and when it's time to do my large (over 500 grains) bullets I use my Wagge pot and ladle pour the bullets before pan lubing them. I seem to get a better job and enjoyment out of doing it this way.
I also use the lube cutters that Buckshot has made for me which are the best of the best.

Freightman
10-13-2012, 12:42 PM
I have several pans to lube with a 30 cal, 44,45, and I just leave the lube in the pans then I already have holes of the correct size, when I fill the holes I set them in the oven or Bar-B-Q propane grill and let melt the lube and cool then cut them out with my cutter. Lube seems to stick better if the boolits are the same temp when it starts the cooling possess. Have fun I like pan lube more than lube sizers but that is just me.

mdi
10-13-2012, 02:05 PM
I started pan lubing 15 years ago (and boy, am I tired :groner:), when I started casting regular lube groove bullets. I shoot 99% cast handgun bullets and so far, have not found a need to purchase a lubersizer. I usually only lube and size 100 or so bullets at a time (pan lube and Lee size) Which I can do a couple times a week (my casting sessions will produce 200-400 at a time and I store them until I run low on ammo, then I'll lube/size/load some up). So far, works for me!

RobsTV
10-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Using fired case as cookie cutter, and tiny screwdriver in primer hole to eject from case.

Sized before lubing, except where a boolit may be used at 2 sizes, such as sized .358 in 9mm before lubing, then same boolit sized after lubing from that .358 down to .356 for use in .380's.

For BB boolits or others with problem bases, found that if I just press the cutter past the lube groove, not all the way down, it is enough to grab the lubed boolit and pull it out clean, with little to no lube on the base. With Carnauba Red, this has to all be done after lube has hardened, but before it is cool. Pan should be very warm, but able to fully touch.