PDA

View Full Version : Tale of two Marlins

rockrat
09-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Picked up two Marlin XLR's, 30-30's, months apart. One , from Cabelas, was almost new. The other came from a shop in Montanna. The second one, was in good shape, but noticed that where the mag tube attached, the stud moved in its groove. Kind of like free floating. Hmmm

Finally got around to shooting #2 this week. Using leverevolution powder, this gun will flat out shoot. Three shots with a regular WW bulk 150gr spitzer left one smear on our 100yds gongs. Pulled out some loads with a Lee GB boolit, weight of 195gr checked/lubed. Has 3 crimp grooves and is a FP design. Had to come up 16 clicks and left 6. Put it about 1" high at 100 and just left a smear on the gongs also, no matter how many shots I put downrange. I shot at our 228yd gongs. Little wind. Burris scope on it has lines instead of mil-dots and ended using the third line. Shot about 1" low and 4" right (wind). Second shot was 2" high, but I think I kind of let loose of the rifle when I shot, so it came up a bit in recoil.

Third shot was about 1" low/left @ 7'oclock. Next three shots hit near first shot. You probably could cover with a silver dollar.:-D

Took gun #1 out today. Only load it liked was a Sierra 125gr fphp. Lee boolit shot about a 4" group @100yds and all loads that worked fine in #2, flattened primers more in #1. I wonder if someone had #2 worked on to improve accuracy? Possibly re-throated it.

Going to send #1 off to JES reboring, going to be a 356win. #2 shoots too good to mess with it. Oh, I had put about 15 rounds of J-words down #2's tube before I shot the cast in it. No cleaning.

pietro
09-17-2012, 09:44 PM
I like a man with a plan, and I should smile, you've got a good plan.........[smilie=w:

ReloaderFred
09-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Jesse Ocumpah did a good job on my Marlin 336W that he rebored to .375 Winchester a couple of years ago. Super fast turn around and great quality. I think you'll be happy with his work.

Hope this helps.

Fred

helice
09-18-2012, 07:18 PM
I've heard a bunch about Jesse's quality workmanship. I'm betting you'll be pleased. Send us pictures of the rifle and the targets when you get it back.