PDA

View Full Version : Broken Lee Sprue cutter handles

Netherwolf
05-24-2007, 05:44 AM
Well, I've managed to break the sprue cutter handles on a couple of my Lee six bangers - not the wooden grips, the metal part that the wooden handle goes on. Question: do I order replacements from Lee directly or does someone else sell them?

Netherwolf

357maximum
05-24-2007, 05:54 AM
You'll need to contact lee directly. PH#(262)673-3075

From now on preheat the mould, and fill one cavity at a time in successive pours and add another cavity every second or third pour working away from the end towards you towards the end away from you....slowly bringing the whole mould up to temp.......

tom barthel
05-24-2007, 09:43 AM
I've done it at least twice. Both times Lee replaced the sprue cutter. I just sent them an e-mail explaining the situation and waited for their reply before taking the next step. Be sure the sprue cutter is closed ALL the way before filling the cavities. If you should forget to close it ALL the way, insert a screwdriver between the cutter and mold block and go gently. This has helped me out of difficult situations. I hope it helps you.

There is a sales site on the computer called Lee Precision. I don't know if they are connected with the company. I've ordered small parts from them. I order my dies and smaller molds from Midway.

DLCTEX
05-24-2007, 10:23 AM
leeprecision.com is the company web site. Dale

smokemjoe
05-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Dale: I broke one 2 weeks ago,My brother stop by there with the broken one and they gave him a new one. Smokemjoe

jonk
05-24-2007, 01:10 PM
I did it once. Fortunately enough stub remained protruding to fix them myself by JB welding a metal rod with a hole in it onto the stub.

Dale53
05-25-2007, 12:27 AM
Breaking the metal sprue plate lever is typically caused by the bullet metal being too cold (which makes it too hard - caused by the mould not being up to temperature) [as 357 maximum suggests]. I pre-heat my moulds on a solid hot plate (set at medium) while my bullet metal is heating. When the bullet metal is up to heat so is the mould.

Mohillbilly
05-25-2007, 08:33 AM
Midway sells spares also 6-8 bucks.I just set the mold on the cold pot and plug it all in.By the time the alloy is right the mold is warming nicely...