PDA

View Full Version : Does this type of lube go bad?

Andy45
09-17-2012, 12:54 PM
I was given some boxes of odds & ends by the wife of a good friend & shooting buddy who passed away.

At the bottom of it there were nine 1 5/8ths oz sticks of Javelina Alox 2138F-Beeswax bullet lubricant. There is also a slightly larger stick of Lyman beeswax lubricant.

The wax paper around the sticks is a bit discolored on the bottom sides (oil bleed thru?) and the boxes the sticks came in are all fragile & disintigrating. (These were in a box with cans of old powder that went bad & corroded the containers.)

I'm assuming this the grey-black stuff that was all over the dies & top punches from the same box that I cleaned off with brake cleaner to photograph for the thread I posted (now in Casting Equipment. )

I don't have lubricator sizer yet (hope to soon), but would this stuff still be OK to use? (I can easily dent the sticks with my fingernail.)

Thanks, Andy

fecmech
09-17-2012, 02:16 PM
I have Javalina lube that's well over 20 yrs old and it's still ok. In fact I just shot up some bullets that were lubed with it 30 years ago over this past summer with no problems. I quit using it in the 80's when I switched to hard lubes, I'd bet yours is still just fine.

C.F.Plinker
09-17-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm still using up a bunch of Javelina I bought in the late '60s. It works as well today as it did when it was new.

Andy45
09-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Thanks,

I will store this lube up for when I acquire a lubricator sizer.

Andy