PDA

View Full Version : .32 Caliber Plinking Report

Mk42gunner
09-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Went plinking today with my best friend. No real targets, mainly dirt clods on the far side of the pond.

I did take the chronograph, I had some loads that I wanted to see how fast/ consistent they were.

First up was the little I frame, S&W model of 1903 third change. 4 1/4" barrel.

I had about 2/3 of a box of mixed factory LRN, W-W and R-P. Both brands went a very sedate 715 fps.

My handloads Lyman 313445 95gr SWC sized .313", FWFL, 2.5 grains of RedDot, sparked by a Winchester Small pistol primer. 865 fps, six rounds over the screens, low 865, high 874. I was surprised.

Next up was the Ruger SSM with 6 1/2" barrel.

GB 314-120 sized .313", FWFL, A large amount of LILGUN and a Win SPP. 1122 fps. I need to fire this load on paper at some longer ranges, in the past I have had it group around 1" @ 25 yards.

All in all, we had fun and learned a few things. Have to do it more often.

Robert

EMC45
09-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Took my 1903 out the other day too. It did well. 2.8gr. BE under the RCBS 32-098 and I was smiling.

FergusonTO35
09-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Nice! I've been putting a lot of boolits downrange with my Charter Arms .32 magnum lately. Gotta love those .32's!!

9.3X62AL
09-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Mk42--

Your load data for the 32 SWL--2.5 grains of RD under #313445--jogged my memory. I've fired a lot of those loads in the past (when #313445 castings were commercially available) and later using the RCBS-98-SWC, and it is an accurate, tractable small game load. It provides an uptick from factory loadings without posing a strain on older S&W or Colt solid-frame revolvers.

I loves me some range time or field time with a 32 rollerpistole!

Dark Helmet
09-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Betcha there's room for more, ain't there?:twisted:
BTDT

9.3X62AL
09-18-2012, 12:50 AM
There's room for more, but given the light construction of many of the small-frame 32 S&W Long platforms--I/J-frame S&Ws or D-frame Colts--I'm reluctant to run a 100 grain boolit much past 850-875 FPS. A post-war example might be made of better metal, but boosting the velocity to 1000 FPS doesn't increase the size range of game-taking a bit, and only extends ranging ability a small increment. Not the kind of bones I would roll, esp. with 30 Carbine, 32 Magnum, 32/20, 38 S&W, 38 Special, and 357 Magnum revolvers on staff in some depth. :)

Mk42gunner
09-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Mk42--

Your load data for the 32 SWL--2.5 grains of RD under #313445--jogged my memory. I've fired a lot of those loads in the past (when #313445 castings were commercially available) and later using the RCBS-98-SWC, and it is an accurate, tractable small game load. It provides an uptick from factory loadings without posing a strain on older S&W or Colt solid-frame revolvers.

I loves me some range time or field time with a 32 rollerpistole!

I really like the .32S&W Long; I wish I was smart enough to have tried it 30 years ago. It provides enough more thump than a .22 to make you realize that you are shooting a real gun, but not enough to encourage flinching.

Betcha there's room for more, ain't there?:twisted:
BTDT

Maybe, but not in my gun; since I found this load on the internet, and have no idea what the pressure is. I do know that when I was working up loads for the SSM the groups got tighter as the charge increased.

There's room for more, but given the light construction of many of the small-frame 32 S&W Long platforms--I/J-frame S&Ws or D-frame Colts--I'm reluctant to run a 100 grain boolit much past 850-875 FPS. A post-war example might be made of better metal, but boosting the velocity to 1000 FPS doesn't increase the size range of game-taking a bit, and only extends ranging ability a small increment. Not the kind of bones I would roll, esp. with 30 Carbine, 32 Magnum, 32/20, 38 S&W, 38 Special, and 357 Magnum revolvers on staff in some depth. :)

I agree Al, the little I frame doesn't inspire the needed confidence to hotrod the loads. My use for this will be to punch paper, ventilate tin cans, and go along on rabbit hunts for the occassional sitting rabbit.

By the way, the I frame fits in the holster I made for an Uberti 1849 Colt Wells Fargo, I just have to lengthen the retaining strap a bit.

Robert

NoZombies
09-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Hard to beat the .32 for range fun or putting small game on the table or in the pot!

Dale53
09-19-2012, 01:19 AM
I'm also a fan of the .32's. I have recently been working with a Lee Six Cavity 90 gr W/C TL design bullet mould. I'm using Recluse's formula tumble lubing with excellent results and loading with Ed Harris method. Ed decaps the cases but does not size them. He flares the case mouth, seats the unsized bullet (one might even say oversize bullet) then uses the Lee Factory Crimp die to lightly crimp but most importantly profiles and sizes the bullet in the case. It works very well in my Smith 16-4. I have about 300 rounds through the 16-4 without cleaning. I get excellent accuracy and NO leading whatsoever and little smoke. My load is 2.0 grs of Bullseye in .32 S&W long cases and 2.5 grs of Bullseye in .32 H&R Cases.

I have another Lee six cavity mould on it's way to me - for the 90 gr SWC TL design. Neither of these moulds are available any longer (more's the pity) but there are some in circulation. I'll let the brethren know how they work.

Thanks to MK42Gunner for the Red Dot information.

Dale53

NoZombies
09-19-2012, 01:43 AM
Dale,

I like the .32 TL WC a lot, and I've got one of the 2 cavity molds. I've been keeping an eye out for the 6 cavity version for a while without luck. I did manage to get one of the 6 cavity SWC molds some time ago, but I admit that I haven't properly exercised it. as a general rule, I'm not a fan of tumble lubing, but for plinking ammo, using recluse lube and a 6 cavity mold makes some sense...

Dale53
09-19-2012, 07:33 AM
NoZombies;
You might want to post your WTB request in the "Swapping and Selling" section of this Forum. That's where I got my mould (a couple of years ago).

Regarding tumble lubing:
I have never really been interested in tumble lubing as I have a Star and an RCBS luber/sizer and all of my moulds have conventional lube grooves (until recently). However, circumstances lead me to actually trying tumble lubing with this bullet. Using Recluses' lube, it is NOT messy, Relatively easy to mix up a batch, and best of all, it works. You can actually lube 1000 bullets in about 10 minutes (then leave them to dry on their own). After they dry, they are not tacky, using the Ed Harris method of loading, a feller doesn't have to size them at all. What a time saver. Now, if they don't shoot, then there is no way I would be interested. However, they DO shoot, so that possible objection is dispensed with.

Just a thought or two...

Dale53