PDA

View Full Version : shuetzen, kik, goex

bigted
09-16-2012, 07:13 PM
im runnin low and about ready to put in a order for a replacement for my GOEX cartridge powder. so im casting about for general consensis of what is going to act like the cartridge i have been using...the shuetzen 2fg or kik 2fg seem about neck n neck as far as i can read.

what say yee?

Don McDowell
09-16-2012, 09:05 PM
KIK 1.5 is a good direct replacement for Cartridge.
The 2f KIK runs the same velocity as Goex 2f express.
The Schuetzen 2 f is a smaller powder more closely reloated to goex 3f.

1874Sharps
09-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Bigted,

I have never bought any Schuetzen or WANO, but I can attest to the high quality of KIK. In fact, I think KIK gives Swiss a good run for its money. Have you ever noticed the different smells of different brands of BP smoke? I suspect this is due to the difference of charcoal that is used.

John Boy
09-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Have you ever noticed the different smells of different brands of BP smoke? I suspect this is due to the difference of charcoal that is used.
Never realized there was a difference in the smells but anyway the woods for charcoal:
Diamondback - Bamboo
Goex - Yellow Maple
Schuetzen - Alder
Swiss and KIK - Alder Buckthorn

Buzzard II
10-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Looks like Goex is going to bring out a replacement for Cartridge Powder by next summer. It's supposed to be high quality, soft fouling. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Bob

John Boy
10-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Looks like Goex is going to bring out a replacement for Cartridge Powder by next summer.Mind sharing the source for this? News to me

Buzzard II
10-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Hi John Boy,
I got an e-mail from Chris Hodgdon earlier this week stating that they would be releasing a new powder -high quality, low fouling, good moisture, by late spring 2013. Just passing on what he stated. We'll see what happens!
Bob

TXGunNut
10-17-2012, 10:49 PM
I've only used Swiss and KIK but I gave a pound of KIK to a longtime and loyal Swiss user and he agrees that they are very close. I think Swiss FFFg is a tiny bit cleaner in my 45 Colt and a c&b revolver but KIK 1 1/2g is slightly cleaner than Swiss FFg in my 45-90. I feel they're so close I let my wallet make that call, I have a shelf full of KIK. Both seem very consistent to me.

TXGunNut
10-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Hi John Boy,
I got an e-mail from Chris Hodgdon earlier this week stating that they would be releasing a new powder -high quality, low fouling, good moisture, by late spring 2013. Just passing on what he stated. We'll see what happens!
Bob

Will be worth a look, big fan of Hodgdon products.

cajun shooter
10-18-2012, 08:54 AM
I was able to make a last minute deal on a good amount of Goex cartridge that I had planned to use only when needed. I started using KIK and my hidden supply of Cartridge begin to lose some of it's value. So much so that I even allowed one devoted user beat me out of a good amount.
Kik is my powder of choice at this time.
When shooting SASS matches I use Diamondback for my shotgun loads and KIK for the revolver and rifle 44-40 rounds.

Hiwall55
10-19-2012, 07:12 PM
I have been using Swiss since Express went out of stock, but just ordered 10 lbs. of KIK and it has a lot going for it

John Boy
10-19-2012, 07:53 PM
I got an e-mail from Chris Hodgdon earlier this week stating that they would be releasing a new powder -high quality, low fouling, good moisture, by late spring 2013.
Buzzard, if I'm not mistaken, this new Goex powder is Express that they said was going to be available in January 2013 before the blowup at Minden

Buzzard II
10-19-2012, 08:59 PM
John Boy,
I don't know! Chris Hodgdon didn't give me a name of the powder. Well just have to see what happens. I'm not holding my breath though, just passing on what he e-mailed me.
Bob

John Boy
10-19-2012, 10:50 PM
http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm

Product: Goex Express Black Powder

GOEX states they are withdrawing GOEX Express powders as of March 2011. Look for a re-introduced product in January2012
2013 Sometime in 2013. It seems there was this delay, around some excitement that happened at GOEX about June 2011.

Buzzard II
12-18-2012, 10:53 PM
New Goex match grade black powder is supposed to be available in 2013, name is Olde Eynsford. 1 1/2F. One pound plastic cans. From Industry News column, Black Powder Cartridge News, Vol. 80, Winter 2012.

XTR
12-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Where do you guys find KIK?

Buzzard II
12-18-2012, 11:29 PM
KIK is available from Powderinc.com--Clarksville, Ar. Check it out online, the prices reflect delivered price to your door. 25 lb case gives a good discount. Bob

Don McDowell
12-19-2012, 01:22 AM
New Goex match grade black powder is supposed to be available in 2013, name is Olde Eynsford. 1 1/2F. One pound plastic cans. From Industry News column, Black Powder Cartridge News, Vol. 80, Winter 2012.

You do realize Goex has been putting this propaganda out for almost two years now?

Lead pot
12-19-2012, 01:39 AM
Shortly before the Goex Express was discontinued I started looking for a replacement. I have used Swiss and Goex Exp. and I just could not see a flyspeck difference in accuracy between the two so I stuck with the Exp till it was discontinued.
I ordered split cases of several different powders including Swiss again and KIK. Again I got along better using KIK. The fouling with KIK was a lot easier to control and accuracy is just as good using the KIK. With the Swiss powder It is a must to wipe when it gets hot and dry were I can still use the tube with KIK.
Schuetzen powder with the German label is a good performing powder and I keep some on hand because the .44-90 BN favors it.
The new Goex powder really has to be good before I will even think changing again away from the KIK.
I shoot a lot of rounds every year and a lot of powder. This year I did not shoot much, just short of 4 cases of powder, I would not use four cases or more of powder every year that did not shoot good.
Now I'm not saying the other powder is no good. I'm saying KIK is my powder of choice. If it wasn't performing the way I expect I would be using something else.

Don McDowell
12-19-2012, 09:54 AM
The new Goex powder really has to be good before I will even think changing again away from the KIK
Leadpot you really nailed it there. Given that Hogdons dropped their best powders right at the time when most folks were stocking up for the oncoming season, and given they don't seem to be in much of a rush to get the promised "new and improoved" powder out to any shooters that could be testing it for them. I don't really know if we can count on that powder being available if/when it does get here, and if it's any good...

Buzzard II
12-19-2012, 12:33 PM
I was just passing on information! I switched to Swiss and KIK.

John Boy
12-19-2012, 05:50 PM
You do realize Goex has been putting this propaganda out for almost two years now? Don, tis pure fact ... and excluding the mishaps at Minden we have to realize Hodgdon doesn't give 2 squats about supplying us BPCR shooters with 'Quality Sporting Powder'. We are spit to their revenues!

The Reenactors are their attention getters ... all 50,000 plus shooters that only need smoke.

$ka-ching$, $ka-ching$! And reliable information said the new powder, Reenactor, is nothing more than floor sweepings

As for the new Olde Eynsford powder, how can it be quality sporting grade using the same subcontracted swamp maple wood for the charcoal?

Don McDowell
12-19-2012, 06:02 PM
John I suppose they could be getting their charcoal from somewhere else, or could it be possible it's not actually Goex manufactured product, but simply repacked brand x?

John Boy
12-19-2012, 09:33 PM
...or could it be possible it's not actually Goex manufactured product, but simply repacked brand x?Don, did you read my thoughts when they 1st announced this new "Royal Blend' with the British monicker? :Bright idea:

Look at the history of Hodgdon ... they have never made a cup of coffee! Ever hear of Imperial Chemical Industries, the old Nobel Industries in Scotland that used to make black powder? ;-) The back of the can will tell the story if it says "Made in Great Britain"

This is their statement that makes me smile ...
“ Olde Eynsford is ideal for cartridge and round ball competitors who demand precise shot placement at long distances” said Tim Vaitekunas, Chief Operating Officer of GOEX Powder, Inc. “We believe this is the finest powder we’ve ever made in consistency and increased velocity.”

Guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Don McDowell
12-19-2012, 09:41 PM
John what has me puzzled is why are there no shooters out there shooting the early release of this stuff? Goex had Express out on the firing lines for a good bit before it's official release. We know that the "ball" version of Swiss is out there and being shot by a select few....
I wouldn't think they're going to release this stuff straight onto the market with no previous input on it?

John Boy
12-19-2012, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't think they're going to release this stuff straight onto the market with no previous input on it?Don, my belief is all Hodgdon has is a press release with a picture and the powder doesn't exist yet. Have to remember, the Corning House went Boom which was a production set back. Their largest contractual purchaser to fulfill is powder for Dept of Defense. All else is over the counter sales

Don McDowell
12-19-2012, 11:32 PM
I'm struck by the similarity of the bottle to that of another brand of powder...

John Boy
12-20-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm struck by the similarity of the bottle to that of another brand of powder... Don, look at the bottom of a KIK -Schuetzen and Swiss plastic container. I believe they are all made by the same company in Scandinavia. Only difference - caps of Swiss is red and Schuetzen is blue

Hang Fire
12-21-2012, 05:03 PM
im runnin low and about ready to put in a order for a replacement for my GOEX cartridge powder. so im casting about for general consensis of what is going to act like the cartridge i have been using...the shuetzen 2fg or kik 2fg seem about neck n neck as far as i can read.

what say yee?

Graf's BP is the exact same powder as Shuetzen, and considerably more economical.