PDA

View Full Version : Wohoo! My best revolver group ever!

subsonic
09-16-2012, 05:53 PM
I was at the range today having fits with an AR-15 that wouldn't sight-in, and decided I needed a moral booster. Since I had the .475 BFR with me, I thought I'd try a 100yd group. Haven't tried that lately - been sticking to 50yds.

5 shots, 100yds from the bench, my own design cast boolit from Mountain Molds that was an attempt at copying 44man's design.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x386/Dennis_Doza/475100yds.jpg

**oneshot**
09-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Well that sure is boost. Nice grouping!

35remington
09-16-2012, 08:12 PM
That is quite good.

Then, of course, the inevitable question: Can you do it again?

Lefty SRH
09-16-2012, 08:46 PM
WOW, thats awesome!

LUCKYDAWG13
09-16-2012, 08:51 PM
real nice

subsonic
09-16-2012, 09:10 PM
That is quite good.

Then, of course, the inevitable question: Can you do it again?

I plan to find out... but I think so. It will group close to an inch at 50yds, so I don't see why not - of course I make no guarantees! :p

bigboredad
09-16-2012, 09:40 PM
I bet that brought a smile to ya. nice shooting

subsonic
09-16-2012, 10:30 PM
:D Definitely all :D after that!

MtGun44
09-17-2012, 01:18 AM
Really good, especially if you can repeat it.

Bill

x101airborne
09-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Darned Good Shootin!!! I decided to try a shot at 100 yards at a turtle sunning himself on a log at our private pond yesterday. Much to my surprise, at the report of that 4 1/2 inch 357 blackhawk, the turtle seemed to violate the laws of physics and went in multiple directions at the same time. But, unlike you, I am not so sure I can do it again.

44man
09-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Very good! :D
I am sure it will be repeated and even bettered. The limit is vision at 100. I find paper targets the hardest and like a 3 dimensional target like a can taped to paper. My range is in the shade most of the year making it double tough to see anything.
It is amazing how a gun with so much recoil and torque will shoot.
I love the .475 but have not shot mine all year! I seem to grab the .500 JRH, a caliber I consider the very best of all the .50's.
I give Whitworth credit for steering me to the JRH and to MR for making it.
Subsonic has made a good boolit and needs credit. I tested them and they are indeed super. I hope the mold will be offered as a standard with Subsonic's name for it.
I do have to ask Subsonic how it feels to have rifle shooters take a step back and look at the silly revolver with new admiration?

44man
09-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Darned Good Shootin!!! I decided to try a shot at 100 yards at a turtle sunning himself on a log at our private pond yesterday. Much to my surprise, at the report of that 4 1/2 inch 357 blackhawk, the turtle seemed to violate the laws of physics and went in multiple directions at the same time. But, unlike you, I am not so sure I can do it again.
Darn right, that is great shooting too.
I really wish guys would stop thinking of a revolver as a 25 yard gun.

subsonic
09-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Yes, and I have to give 44man credit for inspiration and a lot of coaching and Q&A.

Can't forget that if MRI didn't make a good gun, this would all be for naught.

And handguns can definitely get out there and touch something! Why we "forgot" that or never learned it is a mystery to me. The more historical handgun books you read, the more commonplace long range handgun accuracy was. Keith, McGivern, etc.

Read a modern gun book or magazine and 3" @ 25yds is astounding!

subsonic
09-17-2012, 10:35 AM
And YES! it is fun to outshoot rifles with handgun, unless you own the rifle too :-/

Dale53
09-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Darn right, that is great shooting too.
I really wish guys would stop thinking of a revolver as a 25 yard gun.

Many don't have access to a 100 yard pistol range. Many ranges have ridiculous rules that limit where and how far a pistol may be shot on the range for "safety issues".

I shoot mostly at 25 yards as at my age I can get four times the shooting at 25 yards (I can hang four targets at once at 25 yards). Walking back and forth at 100 yards for one target only gets to be a pain for an old geezer.

I use the proper targets for the range and can get comparable results for day to day use. I admit that when I was hunting I ALWAYS "proved" my hunting handguns at 100 yards. Since I never got interested in handgun silhouette, if I could keep most bullets on a playing card at 100 yards I was happy. I limited my deer shots with a handgun to a maximum of 125 yards. In actual practice my longest two deer shots were 85 yards and 75 yards. My "thing" was to see how CLOSE to a deer I could get. One of my most memorable shots was a one shot kill at 10 yards...

Don't misunderstand, I applaud 44 Man and the original poster with their great groups at 100 yards.

To better shooting always...

Dale53

subsonic
09-17-2012, 12:15 PM
I agree. I shoot on the rifle range with my handguns a lot. I am fortunate to be able to do that. I wish I had a closer range or a range in my backyard like ol Jim! It costs me >$30 in gas to make a trip to the range!

Every person should know the limits of their equipment and skill level and harvest game animals within those limits using common sense. These limits very much can change based on conditions and practice or lack of it.

I realize that the concrete bench I was shooting from is not going to be in the woods with me!

With all of that said, confidence is a major factor in shooting well. When I hunt, I must shoot well. Shooting groups like that gives me great confidence in this revolver! Now I just have to work on the "me" part of it.

EDK
09-17-2012, 01:13 PM
The Arnold gun club has some really nice facilities. I live a few miles back in the hills behind it. I will be joining them soon, since I will be moving sometime in the future and no longer have my own place to shoot...first time in 40+ years that has happened to me. The availability of the club is a major factor on location of my next home.

:redneck: :cbpour:

44man
09-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Many don't have access to a 100 yard pistol range. Many ranges have ridiculous rules that limit where and how far a pistol may be shot on the range for "safety issues".

I shoot mostly at 25 yards as at my age I can get four times the shooting at 25 yards (I can hang four targets at once at 25 yards). Walking back and forth at 100 yards for one target only gets to be a pain for an old geezer.

I use the proper targets for the range and can get comparable results for day to day use. I admit that when I was hunting I ALWAYS "proved" my hunting handguns at 100 yards. Since I never got interested in handgun silhouette, if I could keep most bullets on a playing card at 100 yards I was happy. I limited my deer shots with a handgun to a maximum of 125 yards. In actual practice my longest two deer shots were 85 yards and 75 yards. My "thing" was to see how CLOSE to a deer I could get. One of my most memorable shots was a one shot kill at 10 yards...

Don't misunderstand, I applaud 44 Man and the original poster with their great groups at 100 yards.

To better shooting always...

Dale53
True, many ranges have a handgun range and a rifle range. You are not allowed on the rifle range.
I think it is because rifle shooters don't want to be upstaged by a lowly revolver! :bigsmyl2:
Dale understands.
I am actually not allowed to discharge firearms or hunt with the home owners association rules. But many of us do anyway. I have been shooting for 26 years in my woods and hunt all the neighbors land. Most of us hate the rules. Liberal junk. Even some on the board shoot. The only thing important is road maintenance fees. They can't even get all to pay. They get more money then is paid out and we don't know where the rest of the money is.
We have a lot of shooting around us and my thoughts are wanting to go shoot with them. Gunfire is a wonderful thing.

tek4260
09-17-2012, 04:28 PM
And YES! it is fun to outshoot rifles with handgun, unless you own the rifle too :-/

Put those black rifles down and pick up something in blued steel and walnut and you won't be able to do that as easily :popcorn:

subsonic
09-17-2012, 10:03 PM
This rifle is a .5moa shooter, but just not when you leave the cotter key hanging out of the bolt assembly to drag in the receiver. DOH! Was driving me insane! And apparently it's only a 1.5moa shooter with the 60gr Partitions I was using. Running out of time and grabbed a "known good load" that wasn't. Seems like that's how it always goes.

daniel lawecki
09-17-2012, 10:20 PM
:killingpc It took me 2yrs and abunch of rules and become a RSO. The club thought the 100yrd range was just for rifles Nice shooting I took the 10 1/2 ruger 44mag for a walk on the 100 today. My groups were about the same 40rds same size.

9.3X62AL
09-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Hellacious-good shooting right there, sir! I would be proud of that work, for certain. I have rifles I'm happy to hunt with that can't match those results at 100 yards.