PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use green mountain Gunsmith edition raw barrel blanks?

xd4584
09-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Thinking of getting one for either my marlin 917v or 25 just to do my first rebarrelling. I plan on threading the barrel and receiver as well as eliminating the barrel lug that fastens the stock. Any thoughts on the barrels or the modifications?

oldred
09-16-2012, 05:07 PM
I have one still in the shipping box, 22 magnum, and it's just as it's described-raw. It's basically just a length of 4140 bar with a rifled hole down the center, a very high quality rifled hole, but then that's what it is supposed to be. This blank will need to be centered on the bore and the outside contour turned to the proper dimensions before threading and chambering but it should make an excellent barrel for a more than reasonable price! I am REALLY impressed with it and intend to order several more, a 17 to be used for a 17 HMR is high on my list and will very soon be ordered along with another regular octagon barrel for a Winchester.

xd4584
09-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Turning it isn't a big deal in my opinion. They don't list any straightness or anything. Is that something you typically would want to know before buying a barrel?

27judge
09-16-2012, 06:53 PM
David White did a couple for me on stubs in the contender and encore plus one on a Handi stub .all were good shooters tke ken

oldred
09-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Turning it isn't a big deal in my opinion. They don't list any straightness or anything. Is that something you typically would want to know before buying a barrel?

Turning the outside contour is of course not a big deal but my point is that unlike a lot of the Green Mountain blanks it is just a relatively large diameter, for a barrel of the chosen caliber, piece of bar stock and to make it into a barrel requires everything except boring and rifling. These things have enough material to shape into about any barrel style a person might desire. heck of a bargain for the price.

xd4584
09-16-2012, 10:45 PM
heck of a bargain for the price.

That is the response I was looking for! Thanks

izzyjoe
09-17-2012, 08:54 PM
they are good barrels for the money, i've used them a few times. i would'nt worry about threading the reciever and barrel, it won't make a whole lot of difference, and it's not really worth the trouble. :D

xd4584
09-17-2012, 09:40 PM
they are good barrels for the money, i've used them a few times. i would'nt worry about threading the reciever and barrel, it won't make a whole lot of difference, and it's not really worth the trouble. :D

So if I want to have the gun as accurate as I can shoot it... What do you recommend? My plans for the marlin 917 were to thread the barrel and receiver, true the bolt face, set the head space and lap the bore and polish the chamber. Same for the 25. Please keep in mind I have more time than money and three children that seem to always be hungry! I am a capable machinist. Just haven't actually done much with a gun other than trigger jobs and basics. Although a trigger job and some other minor work and hand loads took my 7600 rem 270 from a 3 inch gun to 5/8 groups at 100 yards. I can physically do the work, just need some knowledge

xd4584
09-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Do you guys think I should get the gm barrel and turn it to 920 or whatever the largest diameter I can or keep the factory 917 barrel and set it back and rechamber it with a match reamer? And fill in the dovetail cuts in the bottom of the barrel? The factory barrel is roughly .800". Would a barrel that's only .100 bigger make a difference? I'm mostly concerned about the dovetail cuts in the factory barrel

xd4584
09-18-2012, 06:09 PM
What about loc tite sleeve retainer for the barrel where it slips into the action?