PDA

View Full Version : Thumler's Tumbler (Lid Gasket)

GRUMPA
09-16-2012, 03:02 PM
I bought mine just over a year ago so I could find out first hand how well those worked with the stainless media. Well......it worked as well as I read, but that isn't the only reason either.

Yesterday I was emptying it out and all of a sudden I was getting pins falling in places I didn't want them to go. Then I heard this odd sound coming from the lid so I looked at it closer. I discovered to my dis-pleasure that the lid seal/gasket developed a rip in it allowing the pins to just migrate between the steel lid and gasket.

I've read on this site and others that some people have had them for years and years and pretty much runs/looks like new. Just my luck I probably got the one that was made just before quitting time just before a 3 day weekend.

It's more of a quality issue than anything I would imagine and if I've done less than 150K pieces of brass I sure would be surprised, but I thought those tumblers would last a lot longer than a year, especially the rubber gasket.

It just so happened that I had a piece of thick rubber on hand from my old machining days that comes with a peel and stick backing on it so I made a new one so I hope this will last a lot longer than the original.

Anything like this happen that you know of on these tumblers?
Or am I just being to picky?

traderpats
09-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Contact the Thumlers people and see what they can do for you? Never hurt to have a spare although I've never heard of this particular problem either. I had an earlier model that had an issue with the drum "walking" even though it was level, canted the other way, etc. I emailed Thumlers and they sent an update roller, don't recall what exactly the change was now. My only experience with them and it was good CS.

PS - Not really being too picky but even if it doesn't go in your favor I wouldn't blacklist the company over said issue either....

cheese1566
09-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Nothing but good things from them when I had questions on old AR!@ lid not fitting.

Real people.

I bet if you called them they would help ya out.

LUBEDUDE
09-16-2012, 10:24 PM
I had an earlier model that had an issue with the drum "walking" even though it was level, canted the other way, etc. I emailed Thumlers and they sent an update roller, don't recall what exactly the change was now. ....

I did not know about a roller update. I have 3 Thumblers. I've always had to make spacers out of 38 or 40 cal cases (don't remember offhand) and washers for a fix.

rainy191
09-16-2012, 11:56 PM
i wouldnt be suprised if the rubber is cheaper on the new ones compared to the older ones but i could be wrong. mine leaks a little but keeps going

traderpats
09-18-2012, 11:22 AM
I did not know about a roller update. I have 3 Thumblers. I've always had to make spacers out of 38 or 40 cal cases (don't remember offhand) and washers for a fix.

IIRC the "update" was something along those lines with a washer that help keep the drum unit in place.

keyhole
09-18-2012, 11:48 PM
I have a model B bought new mid 70's. Occaisonally have to fiddle with a spacer to keep the drum rolling straight. But the rubber seal is still fine, but then I have never used steel media either, just walnut or corn cob. I have replaced a couple of drive belts, which are fairly reasonably priced from Tru Square. I tried to find an equivalent in a vacuum cleaner shop or the like, but could never find anything of exactly the right diameter.

Lizard333
09-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Mine failed shortly after buying my tumbler. SSTMedia sent me a new one at no charge. Call them, see what the say. You might be surprised.

mold maker
09-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Aint nothing made like it used to be. Mine is 70s vintage, and except for several belts/o rings, its still ticking.

DukeInFlorida
09-19-2012, 01:40 PM
If you got the tumbler from the folks selling the media, a simple phone call will have a replacement gasket on it's way to you very quickly. I found them to be extremely nice about everything. I had a simple issue with the media, and they sent me a replacement ASAP.

I built my own tumbler from spare parts for virtually free. The butyl rubber end cap is amazing in it's ability to seal the tumbling tube.

http://youtu.be/5u4mSA6BbRc

220swiftfn
09-20-2012, 03:39 AM
Some people make a lexan cover (don't remember if it was 1/8 or 1/4") either to use alone or sandwiched with the steel......

Dan

GRUMPA
09-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Guys, I have no intention of calling anyone to get a replacement gasket. As in the past with other things I get the same thing that went south in the first place. I replaced it with a .200 thick rubber that's about as tough to the feel as the liner that's in the tumbler and feel since I just now upgraded the gasket it will last a lot longer than if they sent me a replacement, not to mention I have more of what I used to replace the original. Only time will tell but I think I have a winner here with my upgrade so I'm going to try it out for awhile to find out for myself just how well it works.

Moonman
09-20-2012, 04:52 PM
220swiftfn,

Some people made a 1/8" Lexan cover to be able to watch how the cleaning was progressing without opening the drum.

You still needed a to make a narrow gasket to use it that way.

I have a Lexan Cover made with a 4" FINE MESH STRAINER, silicone-in, and a 1" water fill hole to DRAIN/WASH the pins/brass when finished tumbling.

220swiftfn
09-21-2012, 01:26 AM
220swiftfn,

Some people made a 1/8" Lexan cover to be able to watch how the cleaning was progressing without opening the drum.

You still needed a to make a narrow gasket to use it that way.

I have a Lexan Cover made with a 4" FINE MESH STRAINER, silicone-in, and a 1" water fill hole to DRAIN/WASH the pins/brass when finished tumbling.

Hmmm.... coulda swore that it just sealed on the barrel liner. I like the "built in strainer", should save some aggravation.....

Dan