PDA

View Full Version : I guess filing the front sight a little goes a long way

jh45gun
09-16-2012, 01:47 AM
I filed the front sight of my Uberti just to flatten the round profile typical of the Clone SSA copies. I just filed it enough to flatten the top for a better sight picture. I am glad I did not do it anymore because the 252 grain bullets that were shooting 6 inches low at 20 yards were shooting right on at Ten yards now with the flattened profile sight. The 300 grain bullets were shooting about 3 inches high. Gonna have to shoot some a bit farther but today was promising.

Jack Stanley
09-16-2012, 09:00 AM
With a short sight radius like that it really doesn't take much . It's good to hear the bullets are hitting right on now .

Jack

Dale53
09-16-2012, 09:05 AM
It certainly pays to go slowly when filing the front sight. I prefer to take three sessions of filing at the range, taking just a few thousandths off the sight. Sometimes your eyes see differently day to day and this helps to keep a feller (or gal) from going too far. It also helps to "do the math" before you cut anything. Google is your friend here (sometimes, not).

FWIW
Dale53

jh45gun
09-17-2012, 01:02 AM
Yea evidently I got lucky and did not take off too much. I really was hesitant about filing it but figured that if I just changed the profile of the front sight it would be ok. Like I said a little evidently goes a long way. Thanks Jack and Dale

.22-10-45
09-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Hello, jh45gun. Reminds me of 1980 when I was shooting IHMSA..couple of older guys had a brand spanking new Freedom Arms .44 Mag. Gun was shooting too high..with rear all the way down. They had taken off as much as they dared from top of rear & still shooting high..so they decided to start in on the front. I asked them very politly if they were sure they wanted to do that..I was just a young kid..and they rudly brushed me off..and started in with nice long file strokes....
They were kind of puzzled..for some reason..gun was now shooting higher still!...What to do? File some more!
They got that front sight down to a nub....when the o'l light bulb flickerd on!
They seemed to be in a real hurry to get out of there!

jh45gun
09-19-2012, 07:34 AM
I guess they did not read about open sights LOL I was hesitant to even file on my sight at all but I did not like that rounded profile. I thought well maybe it would solve both my problems a better sight picture and maybe raise the bullet impact enough to live with and it did both. Like I said It is shooting where I want it now.

km101
09-19-2012, 10:00 PM
It pays to go slowly when filing anything! It's a lot easire to take off than it is to put back. As an old gunsmith once told me: "there aint no erasers on files!" :)

Glad you licked out, and got it right!

jh45gun
09-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Well Ken my main objective was to change the profile of the sight I figured that way if I had to take up more front sight in the sight picture to shoot higher it would be easier to see. Needless to say it also cured the problem and brought the impact up. Like you said I got lucky that it worked out.

Silver Jack Hammer
09-20-2012, 12:49 PM
I’ve filed a lot of sights on Colt SAA’s and have developed a technique. Lay the file on a table and place a stack of targets the same thickness as the file on the table. Turn the gun over so that the front sight is on the file and the rear sight is on the stack of targets. Stroke the front sight of the gun across the file. Look carefully at the front sight to make sure you are keeping it square as you remove metal with the file. I do this at the range so that I can file a little, and then shoot a group to see how things are coming along.

Of course this is only done after you’ve worked up and settled on the load that gun will be digesting.

On the rounded single action front sight Dave Skovill has a technique where you flatten the face of the front sight to a 45 degree angle so that it is easier to see when taking a sight picture. I’ve done this and it works well.

tek4260
09-20-2012, 10:06 PM
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=159408&p=1610062#p1610062

Here is a picture of what I do to mine. Actually this one used to be mine!

FergusonTO35
09-24-2012, 03:09 PM
New Charter Arms revolvers come with rediculously tall front sights, I guess they think you'll be using 250 grain boolits in your .38's. I filed the front sight on my Police Undercover until it was spot on with my pet 158 grain .38 Special load. Now I'm doing load development for the 115 grain boolit in my new .32 H&R Magnum Undercoverette. I've got it filed down to where the boolits impact about 1.5" low at 10 yards. When I decide what load I'm going to stick with I'll carefully file it the rest of the way.

Tip: when you've got your front sight filed down as much as you want, smooth it out with a whetstone and honing oil. It will get rid of the file marks and produce a smooth appearance without glare, especially on a stainless gun.