PDA

View Full Version : Throats and PP boolits

Marlin Junky
05-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Has the type of throat needed to produce good results with paper patched boolits been discussed here?

Thanks,
MJ

P.S. Input on rifling type and/or groove depth is appreciated too.

montana_charlie
05-24-2007, 10:25 AM
Nope...I don't think so.

Most of us are still trying to figure out which lube is best for grooved bullets. Every time we get close to the answer, something new comes along.
I think somebody's working with slug slime and udder balm right now. It may not prevent leading, but it will cure chapped lips...

Just haven't had time to wonder about the mysteries of shooting those smooth bullets...that are too small to use unless you wrap them with something.
CM

Baron von Trollwhack
05-24-2007, 03:47 PM
My own conclusion was that paper patched bullets shot no better in my guns than did cast boolits. That included guns like the 71/84 with a long tapered throat and stock trapdoors, smokeless 30-30 winchesters, a variety of others, and a highwall 45-60 with no throat, that I'm working with now. Both patched to bore or patched to groove trials. BvT

Marlin Junky
05-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Can someone please post a detailed drawing of a chamber reamer that is considered good for shooting paper patched boolits? It doesn't need to be a BP cartridge and I actually intended to post this under "Single Shot Guns" not "Black Powder Cartridge".

About rifling: Can I expect the patches to be cut properly by .0025" high rifling opposed to (for example) "Ballard" type rifling... all else equal of course. The barrel I'm considering for a first attempt at pp boolits is a .357 H-R after I rechamber it. I also have a .35W barrel for this gun with a long throat and was considering the purchase of a special order RCBS 35-250 and a Lee push-through sizer to get me started in paper patching. I need to put the Whelen barrel back on the receiver and shoot this thing since it returned from the NEF repair dept. though. At this point I don't know whether they actually fixed it.

MJ

rhead
05-24-2007, 06:45 PM
My handi rifle barrels all shoot paper patched bullets good. None of them shoot them better that heat treated oversized cast but they all shoot in the neighborhood of 25% larger groups with the same load. The barrels are 357, 30 30 and 22 hornet. My Marlin 30 30 will not shoot them at all (Consistantly misses a paper plate at 25 yards. and my Marlin 45 70 is the only one I have that shoots pp bullets better. Being able to just touch the rifling and a gentle begining to the lands should help but it is no gaurentee. Paper patching does let you shoot a soft lead bullet at rifle velocities without leading and usually with a small loss of accuracy.