PDA

View Full Version : first casting

sgt.mike
09-15-2012, 03:31 PM
.sorry for ever posting

quiver
09-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Mold temp. will also effect fill out. Lyman molds being steel will take longer to come up to temp, but when they do it will take real tallent to cast a bad one. Lee molds will come up to temp. faster, but will cool just as quickly. This can get somewhat frustrating when a boolit sticks in a Lee mold. BTW welcome to the addiction :-)

lwknight
09-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Sound like you did it cowboy style.
It usually takes me 15 or 20 casts to get good ones started.

bumpo628
09-15-2012, 05:22 PM
The cast iron ladles (Lyman, RCBS) work well since they hold the heat longer. You can also use a large stainless soup ladle from a thrift store if you like. The small spoon technique was letting the lead cool down too much before you could pour it.

If those boolits are hard alloy, then I wouldn't use them for slugging. Pure lead is the best for that process.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
09-18-2012, 07:56 PM
sgt.mike,

Considering that your just setting up, look up the Rowell bottom pour ladle on the net.

I have used the Lyman type casting ladles and they fall far short in ability to the Rowell.

They work, but not nearly as well.

Be aware, that the Rowell bottom pour ladles come from small to HUGE in size. Go for one of the 2 smallest ladles.

I think I bought the second one up and I think there was an option for a handle just a bit longer.

However, that has been years back and it's hard for the Ol'Coot to remember all the details. Other then that is, the Rowell Bottom Pour Ladle is great.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot