PDA

View Full Version : COW question

singleshot
09-15-2012, 11:36 AM
I've read several recommendations not to use COW in shotshells. How can it work well in rifles over the powder and not work well in shotguns? I'm confused.

One of the reasons I ask, I've been loading 60 cal roundball over a plastic gas check in a 20 ga with airsoft pellets as filler. I've been pleased with the results, but I'm running out of used airsoft pellets and was thinking of swithing to COW since I think the cost per shot will be lower. If it works, COW should be less expensive than fiber wads or hard cards.

Can somebody either explain or tell me of your experiences?

hardy
09-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Hey singleshot,COW works great for me in 20gauge.Lately I,ve switched to Grits,it,s a tad lighter(larger granules),works well.How are you building up your column height?Also are you cutting the gas seal from a plastic wad to make your "gas check" or do you use some other product?Enquiring minds and all that....Cheers,Mike

John in WI
09-15-2012, 03:04 PM
I've had good luck using COW as a buffer. Then again, I tend to load, and shoot within a day or two. I have heard one of the problems is that it can take on water turning the shot in to a kind of "wax slug" sort of thing and raising problems with pressure.

I have no idea if that's true or not--but the water problem does concern me. There's no real "seal" in a shotshell and if water gets in, there's no reason it wouldn't soak in to the COW.

skeettx
09-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Well I use Cheerios, it is less messy and easier to count out
They are bio-degradable and pulverise upon firing
I do not use them as a buffer, but as a filler and I think
that is what you wanted for the 60 cal round ball.
Mike

singleshot
09-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!

Hardy, I have a bag of plastic gas checks. It's just like a plastic wad but without the petals and plastic support columns. They were cheap! I think I paid $3 for 500 of them.

1874Sharps
09-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Hey, with either the COW or Cheerios you can not only yell, "Eat lead!", but "Eat lead and the filler, too!"

slim1836
09-15-2012, 04:02 PM
And I thought cheerios was only used with Trailboss powder.

singleshot
09-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Speaking of Trailboss, anybody use it in a shotgun yet? The burn speed and general pressure usage seems to match up nicely.