PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Report

drhall762
09-15-2012, 11:15 AM
A while back I purchased a Mossberg 640KD Chuckster in .22 Magnum off this board. Put a nice scope base and rings on it and a scope I had from somewhere. Nice rifle and I shot it a bit but nothing serious.

I am not a very serious shooter anymore. Tri-focals and beginning cataracts have taken quite a bit of the edge off. I decided finally to see what this rifle liked best as I have a growing varmint problem, fox, coyotes and coons. Figured it would handle them.

Bought some CCI mags, 40 gr. FMJ, 40gr. HP and 35 gr. HP. Also saw some Hornady Critical Defense 45 gr. and bought them.

At 75 yards I can keep 5 rounds in a quarter with the Hornady. The CCI HPs shoot a little larger, about 1.5" and the 35 gr. are about an inch higher. The FMJ are okay but no better than about 2".

All in all a nice gun and it shoots well. One of my better deals. The scope is 6x and has a very course post and bar style reticle. May look for something a little finer and see what happen.

Jack Stanley
09-16-2012, 07:44 PM
The normal speed CCI hollow points and Federal FMJ are the two accurate loads for my rifle . It sounds like the varmints in your area better move on .

Jack

Mk42gunner
09-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Those older Mossberg .22's are pretty impressive. I remember siiting on a picnic table at the Adak Sportsmans range and knocking over rimfire sized silhouettes at 75 yards until it got boring; with mixed ammo, no less.

Through the dim recesses of my memory, I think my rifle was a Model 351, I know it had a very dim Weaver B4 on it.

Robert

drhall762
09-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Yes indeed. This rifle has moved way up the ranks of my "this one is a keeper" list. First .22 Mag rifle I have ever had and I do enjoy it. I am going to try a better scope.

Hammerhead
09-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Big .22mag fan here. Would love to see a pic of your Mossberg.
Fiocchi 40 grain HP ammo has been very good for me, good accuracy and economical by the brick. The 50 grain Federal load is nice too. Bucks the wind and holds its speed well.
I think my CZ Lux .22 mag is the last gun I would part with. Wood, steel, open sights and better accuracy than any .22lr that I have owned.

drhall762
09-20-2012, 04:14 PM
I'll see if I can't get one posted this weekend.

billsr
09-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Look at the Nikon rimfire line. I have a 4X32 Rimfire Proshooter on my Savage MKII BV .22 LR, and it is very clear and excellent. You may want a higher power for the varmints though.

drhall762
09-28-2012, 04:38 PM
I have a Nikon on another rifle. Old Nikon. Good idea. Thanks.