PDA

View Full Version : Lyman press opinions please

Catsmith
09-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Getting back into reloading since my wife said she wanted to learn how. (man i love being married to a redneck woman!)

I have come by two lyman presses reciently. I have looked back in this form a ways and have not seem anything on them. Wondering what yall think about them.

First is an All American we picked up ina package deal. Sold off a few things and paid for everything else we kept. Have loaded about 500 rounds with it and like it so far.

Next is a lyman ST. Just mounted it yesterday but have not used it yet. Plan on setting 223 and 308 in it and leaving for the long haul.

Anything yall can tell me about these would be great.

LUBEDUDE
09-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Welcome to the forum Catsmith. And your wife as well.

Sounds like you made quite a bargin on your buy. The All American will last you a lifetime and with proper care, your kid's as well. It's a good solid press, though not made anymore.

I'm drawing a blank on the ST ? Unless that is a Super T- mag. Is it a turret press, not as beefy as the AA? Grey in color? If so It is a good high qualiy current production press.

Others will jump in to help out and/or correct me.

Good Load'n

Catsmith
09-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Thanks lubedude. Yes it is a 6 hole turret. I will see if i am savvy enough to post a pic

Le Loup Solitaire
09-14-2012, 11:31 PM
Hi and welcome aboard. The Lyman All-American is a solid press; I had one for a while a few years ago. As you probably know it can work right-handed or left. The turret if you turn it a lot can be rough on the hands, but a light glove gets around that. I never thought much of the stacked primers in the primer feed arrangement and used to take precautions to keep it clean and not stack too many in it. Also in those days they did not provide any way of catching spent primers with the AA so they went all over the room. But the press was a good one and was easy to work with. They're worth much more now than they ever sold for new. LLS

Catsmith
09-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Well i once again have been outsmarted by this blooming ipod thingie. No pics until i can get my kids to teach me some more.

LLS, i took the primer set up off and got a hand primer. Did not really like that setup.

The st or t mag looks like the current ones but is grey and red turret and has a different lower setup. Guess it is a older model.

BruceB
09-14-2012, 11:48 PM
The "ST" is probably a Spar-T, which has a six-hole turret mounted on a modified "Spartan" frame. Grey base and red turret are correct original colors for the Spar-T.

My All-American has been working flawlessly since I bought it new in 1967, and it's still my most-used press. It requires the "J"-type shell holders, unless one can find the adapter to allow use of the common 'universal'-type shell holders.

I discarded the primer feed due to the lack of protection provided by the thin brass primer tubes. It may be possible to install a steel tube to shield the operator, but my speed is adequate even hand-feeding the primers one at a time (AND catching the fired primers in my hand..... no problemo).

I cannot recommend the A-A highly enough...... my hands have actually rounded-off the corners of the turret over the course of loading hundreds of thousands of rounds over fifty-odd years. It is an excellent machine.

shotman
09-15-2012, 01:02 AM
the st press had problems early in production. they used a 1/2 bolt and the gap at back support was too wide. causeing the bolt to break.
If you have a wide gap at that support make a shim to take up the space.
The AA has a threaded bolt in the back. always keep it tight against the bottom of turret

rmcc
09-15-2012, 01:03 AM
Welcome aboard!! You have GOOD equipment. For what it is worth, I use a Hollywood "Senior", Lyman All American, and a Dillon 550 in that order on the bench. As stated above, don't think much of the primer arm set up. I hand prime anyway so is not an issue. Good luck to you and your wife!! This is a great forum to learn from.

Rich

Catsmith
09-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks everybody for the info and advise. I think I am going to like it here.

I did add a pic above for clarification and to prove to myself that I am smarter than a computer. Not a" I "thingie but definatly a computer.

I will check the threaded bolt and clearance this morning. I want to pass this stuff down to my grandkids one day so what else should go on a preventive maintenance checklist?

GP100man
09-15-2012, 08:14 AM
WELCOME Catsmith & your wife !!!

It`s awesome to have a student to mentor ,even better when the student is your wife .

Mine has sporatic attention spans , when she learns the ins & outs she becomes bored with it & moves on . Although she does usually load her own rifle ammo for hunting 20 rnds or so ,but I supervize so no mishaps happen.

She did this up to `09 , back problems/surgeries & Diabetes/nerve damage has `bout took all her time standing /walking.

Lyman equipment has evolved with the times ,I like the nostilgia of the vintage tools, but need the mechanical advantage of modern tools , so I have a Lyman Orange CrusherII & a Lyman TMag that are my main stay of presses.

As mentioned watch the wobble on the Spar-T & it`ll be there for ya.

PS : my girls help now & there size puts there face closer to the processes of reloading , the baby loves popping primers out ,so been thinking of getting a press with the thru ram primer disposal , keeping more dusts/particals away from the front of the press. Looking hard at the Redding Big Boss II with the primer feeder .

Enuff meandering for now , Another WELCOME & jump in when ya want/can , I feel NooBes freshen things up a bit !!

GP

dragonrider
09-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Welcome to the forum, you will like it here much knowledge and many friends. The real jewel in your buy is the All American, they are a great press. I got mine off e-bay and got lucky cause it was in like new condition. The other is just another version of the many turret presses out there and the one thing you need to keep and eye on is tipping of the turret when in use.