PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894 in 357 magnum

7.62Man
05-23-2007, 01:19 AM
I am looking to cast bullets for my marin lever gun. I have researched the modifcation needed to get it feed the longer OAL cartidges. (anyone know if it works?)

I am looking for a mold that would work for deer out to say 75-100 yards. I know there was a group buy a while ago for a great Lee 358-180-RF and I planned to have moutain molds make me one similar. Problem is that they are not accepting orders right now and not sure when they will(owner thinking of closing shop for summer). I was thinking to use the Lee 358-158-RF and work up a load that I could play with and use this fall for deer. (anyone use this on deer?)

Anyone have one of the GP 358-180-Rf they could part with? Also anyone know if this bullet would feed in the levergun with the mods? Or for that matter if the Lee 358-158-RF will feed with the mods to the levergun?

Can anyone give me a better mold to use for deer hunting with in the 357 mag? I can get Lyman and Lee stuff without any problem up here in Canada.

twotrees
05-23-2007, 06:38 AM
I have had a Rossi 357 carbine since the mid 80's and it is real accurate to 150 yards with Lymans XXX156 thompson gas check boolit. It feeds fine and judging from the 3 ft trench it puts in Penna yellow clay at 150 yards, I would take a deer with it.

We had a very slight 12 year old in deer camp this past year that was hunting with dad. I gave them an old SKS to use at first, then offered the Rossi to this youngster. He toted it the rest of the season, but those old black piney woods rooters never came back to the stand they were hunting.

I don't think I have ever fired anything but cast in this rifle, and I'm SURE it is min of pop can at 100 yards with that boolit and a full charge of 2400. BTW: it's 158 gr.

Good Shooting

TwoTrees

imashooter2
05-23-2007, 07:30 AM
The modification for longer OAL works great. I did it to my rifle and posted a thread on it here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=7750

As for bullets, my rifle shows a distinct preference for heavy. The GB bullet works very well. I borrowed a mold and cast up a bunch of them. There have been 3 GBs on this design, so there are a few molds out there. But any time one shows up on the Swapping and Selling forum it is gone in a heartbeat. I've resigned myself to shooting the SAECO 180's (#353 or #354) while I wait for either the GB to be run again, or a GB mold to last until I see it on the S&S. The SAECO shoots nicely, but doesn't have the meplat that the GB mold does.

Little Joe
05-23-2007, 07:30 AM
Maybe you should look into getting a LBT mold.

Out of here,
Little Joe

imashooter2
05-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Oh, the Lee 158 RF will feed without modifying the gun, but with a meplat similar to the SAECO, I'd make the mod and shoot the heavier bullets.

Nrut
05-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Maybe you should look into getting a LBT mold.

Out of here,
Little Joe
X2....I have one of his 180WFN/35cal. mold...It's just as good or better than any of the Mt. Molds I have....:)