PDA

View Full Version : Home made and the Creedmore match

Boz330
09-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Well I went to Friendship to shoot the 500yd Creedmore match yesterday and thought that I would try the HM powder there for grins and giggles. First thing I noticed was that recoil was much worse than store bought. Second was I had to come down on the sights from my June numbers. I loaded by weight which in a volume comparison was 25% more. I did have some hits but the vertical component was too severe to deal with. Until I can figure out how to get consistent powder it isn't going to work at 500yd. BTW this was corned powder.

Bob

Nobade
09-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Thus is the new holy grail - learning how to make powder that will work at long range! I am having a lot of fun shooting out to 200M with homemade, but after that it starts to show its inconsistency like yours did.

With lots of folks working on this hopefully we'll get it figgered out eventually!

DIRT Farmer
09-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Bob, sorry I missed you, I spent most of my time on the Quail Walk helping new shooters and a little medal chasing for me.

Boz330
09-17-2012, 09:06 AM
We started to head up that way but got waylaid on the pistol range. Spent so much time BSing that it got late and I had to catch up on being away from the shop all week Friday so had to head out.
Shot the LR Tues and Wed at Atterbury and really learned how much wind can ruin your day. Lots to learn there.
I did finally get a trade gun on order from Tip Curtis though,[smilie=w: unfortunately I'm number 19 in line so probably won't get to hunt with it this winter.:(

Bob

Fly
09-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Bob was it some of that screened powder you tryed?If so I told you it had a kick over corned.If it was give me a PM.
Fly

DIRT Farmer
09-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Bob I heard that Tip sold out on trade guns this year, sounds like he has a busy winter ahead.
BTW, if I come down from the range I run into Pete and he trys to put me to work.
Alan

Boz330
09-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Bob I heard that Tip sold out on trade guns this year, sounds like he has a busy winter ahead.
BTW, if I come down from the range I run into Pete and he trys to put me to work.
Alan

He's pretty good at getting people to help out.

Bob

451 Pete
09-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Ok you guys , I'm not quite that bad, but you have to admit there was a lot of neat stuff happening and besides I was at Camp Atterbury for three days setting up and running that match so Alan you did have plenty of time to be rested up for when I got back. ( Boz you are excused as you were with me. ) :kidding:

I do have to admit to being very busy during the week of Friendship this fall. The first weekend on Saturday and Sunday I helped out on the Youth Range. One of my beginners there , Nicole, who only started shooting 2 years ago and is now just 10 years old shot a 50 in a sub junior match. Man that makes you feel good! Check out the smile in this picture. She was walking on sunshine!

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o589/451pete/friendship%20fall%202012/friendshipfall2012012.jpg

The match at Camp Atterbury, which is about 80 miles northwest of Friendship, was held during the week on Tuesday and Wednesday. We had 29 shooters that attended to shoot long range with black powder cartridge and muzzle loading target rifles. In addition to our U.S. shooters we had two from the Netherlands, two from the island of Jersey between England and France, one from England , one from Germany and a fellow that came all the way from Austrailia competing this fall! The muzzle loading rifles do not give up very much to a black powder cartridge rifle in this event. In fact the top three shooters at 800 yds. this time beat the best score made by a cartridge rifle.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o589/451pete/friendship%20fall%202012/friendshipfall2012033.jpg
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o589/451pete/friendship%20fall%202012/friendshipfall2012052.jpg
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o589/451pete/friendship%20fall%202012/friendshipfall2012034.jpg

Back at Friendship on Thursday I helped out a bit at the museum and got a couple of fellows started in our long range game with some shots at the 500 yd. Mini Creedmoore target ( the black and white square targets in this picture. ) I have at least one I took to the dark side as he is seriously looking to buy a long range muzzle loader and I also talked him into joining this web site.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o589/451pete/friendship%20fall%202012/576922_491364267541218_606681279_n12.jpg

Friday a group of retired competitive shooters from the Navy came down to visit and shoot muzzle loading rifles. I was very honored as these guys had not only served our country but all still loved to shoot. One fellow showed me his ring from the 1976 U.S. Olympic Shooting team and another had shot in the Palma Match. Wow!

Saturday I took three gals from Ball State Univercity , a Professor of Archeology and two grad students around to give them thier first shots with a muzzle loading shotgun , rifle and pistol. All I can say is that they all did very well and said that they will be coming back next year .... a lot of smiles. By the way they all hit targets even the clay birds with a shotgun and the mini creedmoore target at 500 yds. I wish you guys would listen to instructions as good as the girls do. They did great!

So that was my week and it was a great one. Very busy but very rewarding. If you hang around me, I will put you to work down there but I will garantee you will be smiling and having a good time.
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o589/451pete/Friendship%20June%202012/june2012Friendship006.jpg

;-) Pete

Boz330
09-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Pete, the picture of Nicole pulled up, the rest, I couldn't get to work.

Bob

Redgunpossum
09-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Howdy. I'm the guy 451 Pete mentioned about wanting to join "the dark side."

I've got some experience shooting long range with my Rem 700 setup with a mil-dot scope.

I also like shooting a bunch of other rifles I've got at 500 yards.

It just makes sense to add a long-range muzzleloader in there, too.

And Boz330, are you the guy who let me shoot the Pedersoli Gibbs?

Boz330
09-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Howdy. I'm the guy 451 Pete mentioned about wanting to join "the dark side."

I've got some experience shooting long range with my Rem 700 setup with a mil-dot scope.

I also like shooting a bunch of other rifles I've got at 500 yards.

It just makes sense to add a long-range muzzleloader in there, too.

And Boz330, are you the guy who let me shoot the Pedersoli Gibbs?

First off welcome aboard. No it wasn't me but I would have if I'd have been there. Misery loves company.:kidding:
High power will give you the basics but that sloooooow moving boolit gives the wind lots of time to work on it, not to mention the rainbow trajectory. It is challenging for sure. Master this and HP is a tip toe through the tulips.

Bob

451 Pete
09-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Hello Roy,
Ditto on the welcome aboard. I think the fellow you are looking to thank for those shots is Shawn Hill. Shawn is also a member here but rarely posts on the board. He is one of my early recruits to the " dark side ". He and his father camp behind me at Friendship. You know, if you feed them they will follow you home. Ha!
We have a great bunch here on the forum and I think you will enjoy yourself. The first step is getting yourself a rifle and then as Boz says relearning and adding to what you already know from high power. Things work a bit differently sometimes with black than with smokeless.
At any rate you are in with a great bunch and I am certain you will have a good time.

Take care ..... Pete [smilie=s:

Boz330
09-19-2012, 08:06 AM
The pictures are working for me now. There I am 4th down on the second picture.
I'm not very good but at least I run in good company. Three guys from the club I shoot with sort of cleaned up on the ML match. 1, 2, & 3 for the Aggregate, as well as several individual match awards. Hopefully some of that will eventually rub off on me.

Bob

DIRT Farmer
09-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Like Pete said, we all try to hook new shooters. I had a ball shooting with you and the others Roy, and several others that took a liking to the 20 ga double or the trade gun. the investment in powder and shot are well worth it. I normaly use the 10 for the hunters match and take a few caps as the match is all following pairs. I need to start bringing more as the tins are empty and only a few in the capper.

Pass the word to Tom that his score held up, he placed.